Sponsored by: Moser

Inspection Points for '73 F250 HB

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 02:05 PM
DanisDan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inspection Points for '73 F250 HB

This is most likely a repeat as i could have sworn I found a Thread that had key points to look for when inspection a craigslist truck, i even thought it was stickied. However, i searched and searched and just can't seem to find it, either that or i'm just utterly blind

Anyway, on Saturday i will be looking at a 1973 F250 HB. I would like a few pointers as to what to pay specific attention to when looking over this truck. I will be looking for the typical stuff, i just want to know if there is anything specific to this year and model i should be looking for. Even just standard things too look for in these older trucks.

Here a pic, shes pretty dirty but starts, drives and stops... the driver passed away last year and its basically been sitting since then. Truck originally came from Oregon and is now in New England where it was used as a yard truck for a couple years. Let me know what to look for, i'm not looking for a full restore just a weekend truck for hauling stuff around.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:55 AM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Check out this thread - lots of great info from HIO Silver and Rich (78&79F250)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-a-noobie.html

Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 AM
'75HB250
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
I recently (4 months ago) picked up a '75, which was originally an Oregon truck, relocated to CT. The owner prior to me used it for nothing but a pleasure vehicle, so it stayed 100% rust free.

Having just went through a similar purchase... I will say a few things based on my experience, and my more expensive lessons.

I like rust free stuff. Obviously look at the floors, cab mounts (especially in front), cross members, front of the bed floor, rockers, door seams, etc. You may not be looking for a perfect truck, but you want one thats reasonably safe and solid. Trucks will rust quickly out here in New England, which I'm sure you know if you are from here. Just make sure there isn't anything like "oh my god"... My truck is 100% rust free, which was critical to me.

Is it the HD D44, or the standard duty? Look at the closed knuckle; if there are 12 bolts holding the wiper seal, its an HD. If its 8, then its the standard duty. Rebuild parts are available for both, but the HD parts are alot more expensive, in my experience. In my opinion, the standard 44 is kind of rinky dink. If either of the front wheels look cambered, it will probably need king pin bearings. I did a complete rebuild on my standard duty 44, and it was not too hard. But my truck isn't rusty. Obviously a rusty truck, especially with original hubs, etc, may be more of a challenge. My front axle housing was bent (which I found when I tore it all down). Thankfully I found a good used one locally; if you are any where near CT, I know of a few good private parts sources here.

I would also look at the driveshafts. Check the slip unions, and make sure they aren't blown out. I was quoted $400/ shaft to have a new front and rear shaft made. These are fairly big ticket items, and its nice to avoid that.

My truck is a 390 4bbl swap, and the engine was fairly fresh. That being said, it needed exhaust manifold gaskets, timing was way, way off, etc. Look for any leaks (in any of the drivetrain components). My truck was leaking from the rear output seal on the 205. Upon close inspection I noted some play in both of the outputs, which has necessitated a rebuild.

Being a truck from around here, I would check the brake lines, etc. The typical stuff. Look for any hack jobs, especially with the wiring, etc.

You can buy almost anything for these trucks, which is nice.

And here in CT, I get a ton of looks in mine whenever I take it out, becauise you just don't see these things on the road much at all.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:43 PM
DanisDan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CelticOne:
That was the EXACT thread i was looking for. I knew i had read it somewhere. Thanks!

75HB250:
Yeah, i hoping that this Oregon truck relocated to NH escaped all the salt since it was use for property maintenance. Doesn't even look like it had a plow on it. I couldn't get any more pictures out of the seller so i just have to look for at it in person. I'm hoping all the dents are just cosmetic as i honestly don't see any rust on it from the pictures provided. It just needs an intense cleaning. I was planning on bringing something to lay on so that i can inspect the under body, and thanks to you I have some other key points to look over. I don't intend to tow anything major with the truck, mainly want it for all the weekend warrior projects. Although i do like overbuilt things so the HD D44 may be nice thing to have. I have to make sure its in good order because if everything looks good i intend to drive it back to my house (about an hour) as i don't want to have to deal with getting it towed.

I will have to do a lot of the investigating myself, hence why i was asking what to look for. Like i said previously the owner died so the wife is selling it and knows nothing about the truck other than her husband used it all the time and it runs. I don't even know what motor is in it.

I honestly thinking she charging a little high ($3k). NADA says $3k for something that's a daily driver, this isn't even registered and has some body panel damage and a bad tailgate. I was thinking starting at $1500 and work from there as good ones are REALLY hard to find in NH. In the last couple years i have seen 1 pass me on the road.

CT isn't too far off, so it might be worth it for some major parts. Although, i have found some places that sell some of the body panels but they seem to all be imported. If the price is right having some OEM parts may be nice!

Thanks!
Dan

Old 05-29-2015, 02:51 PM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Good luck! I am checking one out tomorrow too.