General Automotive Discussion

Disappearing car features

Old 05-28-2015, 10:47 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Disappearing car features

So I was reading an article online, but it was from 2012. It talked about all the features, which even up until recently, have been common but are now disappearing. We're not talking about the loss of 8-tracks, but things more recent than that. I thought I'd pick the brains of all the readers here to see what we can come up with. Here is my list:

-CD players going away fast (first the disc changer, now even the single CD slot)
-Manual transmissions
-Crank windows / manual locks / manual mirrors
-Physical "keys" (most vehicles only have one manual lock on the driver's door now, and no longer on both front doors and hatch or trunk)
-Standard antenna masts (trucks seem to be a holdout to some extent)
-Full size spare tires (even rarer on matching alloy, maybe expensive cars)
-Availability to buy vehicle without A/C
-Transmission dipsticks
-Analog clocks (again, maybe expensive cars) and analog instruments in general

I'm sure there's more. One more thing would be the power antenna - is it available on any car now? We had it on a 1987 Volvo Turbo and again on a 1996 Explorer Limited. (The Volvo antenna worked flawlessly and the Ford antenna mechanism broke - twice)

Thoughts?

Old 05-28-2015, 03:23 PM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can think of more:
dual fuel tanks on pickups
pop-up headlights
landau tops (thank god those are gone!)
vent windows
car phones
fake wood grain

Old 05-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Genuine imitation wood grain

Old 05-29-2015, 04:55 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Chrome trim pieces

Hydraulic power steering

belt driven cooling fans

30K mile maintenance cycles

gas caps

spark plug wires, single coils, points, distributors

Radiator caps, the caps are now on the overflow tank.

Limited slip axles are beginning to become extinct.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:34 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Genuine imitation wood grain
I'm assuming you're referring to exterior wood grain? Interior wood (mostly fake from American brands, anyway) is still alive and well.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tseekins
Chrome trim pieces

Hydraulic power steering

belt driven cooling fans

30K mile maintenance cycles

gas caps

spark plug wires, single coils, points, distributors

Radiator caps, the caps are now on the overflow tank.

Limited slip axles are beginning to become extinct.
Agree on the first 3 (although my Super Duty appears to be the exception since it still has hydraulic steering and a belt-driven fan). Is anyone besides Ford eliminating the gas cap? It seems most still have that. As for radiator caps, these haven't existed on Euro-brands for 30 years or more. I'm not sure why they were needed.

Another going away feature - a separate frame on SUVs. More and more once proud body and frame rigs are becoming unibody crossovers. (e.g. Explorer, Range Rover, etc).

Here's another - WeatherBand radio. It used to be widely available on the European cars (Rover, Mercedes, etc) and also on some Cadillacs. I always thought this was really cool (had it in my '92 Range Rover!) but Satellite radio I think, with all of its instant weather channels, are causing the demise. Interestingly, its still standard on Harley motorcycles that come with a radio.

Keep them coming!

Old 05-29-2015, 07:58 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,081 Likes on 2,151 Posts
the disappearance of most of the features listed can be blamed on one simple thing: lazy people.
most vehicle buyers these days are very lazy and want everything automated.
so the car manufacturers are making what people buy.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:24 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tjc transport
the disappearance of most of the features listed can be blamed on one simple thing: lazy people.
most vehicle buyers these days are very lazy and want everything automated.
so the car manufacturers are making what people buy.
I like your avatar!

Not sure I totally agree with your statement though. There is a difference between convenience and laziness. I don't think I'm lazy, but I prefer power windows to crank windows, and power locks to manual locks. It sucks having to get out, open you back door, and crank your window down, then get back in and drive. Or go around the car and manually lock each door.

Things like power sliding doors on minivans, and power tailgates drive me nuts, though. That is pure laziness 90% of the time.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:17 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Power windows and locks are OK by themselves as far as that goes, except that in actual use they add to the cost and tend to be unreliable. Every vehicle that is more than a few years old/lots of miles seems to sport broken window motors/switches. They always seem to fail with the window down in the rain and up in the summer.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:09 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Not in the least a fan of these no key ignitions. I've read too many horror stories about them draining the battery if an RF 'key' is in the area. I even read something about a car firing up while on the lift due to some combination of circumstances.

As for power windows, mirrors, locks, etc. I live in Minnie, and despite global warming, it sometimes still gets very very cold -- and icy. If I try to roll down my window, and it's stuck I either don't or I find a way to do it. If I hit the down button, the damn thing might bust $omething before I can stop it.

Not to mention forgetting to roll them up before shutting down. Yes, it's a simple matter, but it's annoying.

Door locks and mirrors are just more things to break.

So, I wish that they'd keep the option of having some simple (and probably stronger) manual systems vs the 'convenience'.

I do like a stick shift, but I understand the reasons for getting rid of them.

I would really like to see one new feature. A big switch to disable all of the stability controls, crash avoidance systems and the like. I'd probably leave them on , but I'd really like the option.

hj

Old 06-01-2015, 07:08 AM
troverman
Hotshot
OK guys, I hear you on this. I get that you like simplicity. Sometimes it does have an appeal. Sometimes I want to buy a Jeep Wrangler with a manual trans and manual windows / mirrors / locks just because. Or a Toyota Tacoma with the same arrangement.

However, I feel power windows and locks are generally incredibly reliable. In the last 20 years, we've owned 4 Volvos, 6 Land Rovers, 5 Fords, 2 VWs, 2 Mercedes, and 1 Audi, representing hundreds of thousands of miles driven. In all of those, only 2 suffered power window issues (a '95 E320 and a '97 Range Rover). Of the same group again, only two had power lock issues (a '96 Explorer - tailgate lock actuator, and a '92 Range Rover - intermittently the locks worked). The rest have been spot on.

Regarding operating the windows when they are icy, many cars have a "circuit breaker" of sorts that cuts the power when too much load is placed on the window motor (e.g. when its frozen). Many do, but not all...that's how the Mercedes broke its regulator, due to ice.

Regarding remembering to put the windows up before shutting off...I don't see how this could be any worse than manually locking all your doors, than realizing your rear window is still down a little bit, and having to do the unlock routine just to access it.

Some cars have a feature where you can just hold down the lock button on the key fob for a few seconds, and any open windows or sunroof will automatically close. We've had this on the Mercedes, Audi, VW's, etc we've had. Interestingly, my new pickup will automatically lower the front windows (but not the backs) if you hold unlock for a few seconds, but cannot raise them.

I lived in Hibbing, MN in the early '90's. At the time, we had a Ford Econoline with manual everything, but also had an '80's Volvo with electric locks and windows...never had a problem with the cold.

Definitely would like to keep stick shift and manual windows / locks at least "available" though.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 683 Likes on 396 Posts
Going back to Trovermans 1st post,, I couldnt see buying a car/truck without A/C.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Why not? People survived for years and years before it was widely available. I agree with you, but some of the used cars I had did have A/C but it never worked. I didn't mind. I guess if you live in the south, might be more important; up here in NH we only get a few days in the mid 90's or higher each year.

Another feature now missing: cigarette lighters. Car manufacturers I guess trying to save you.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:12 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 683 Likes on 396 Posts
I hear ya Troverman as I grew up without A/C in our house and cars but now that I`m kissing 50 there are just certain things that are "mandatory". Funny you mentioned cig lighters. Talking about the ports or lighter itself? Havent noticed but in my Exc I use mine for charging cell and in truck my stereo itself charges it,hmmmm

Old 06-03-2015, 12:35 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Growing up in mid coast Maine we never a/c in the house or the cars. There were some days when it was needed but not like it is here in Virginia.

I would trade nearly any and amenities to have a/c and at least an FM radio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disappearing car features