Fair Market Value on this 79 Sideflare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:29 PM
mcangelo4
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair Market Value on this 79 Sideflare?

79 Ford Ranger F100 Flare Side Short Bed Pickup

One owner since new...sounds like he babied it and did everything and anything it needed...

Old 05-27-2015, 12:40 PM
tjac
New User
Originally Posted by mcangelo4

One owner since new...sounds like he babied it and did everything and anything it needed...
I've seen similar in the Philadelphia area for $8,000. Think it was a 4x4 manual, though. And original engine.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:55 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
"Fair Market Value" is an estimate of the market value of property, based on what a knowledgeable, willing, and unpressured buyer would probably pay to a knowledgeable, willing, and unpressured seller in the market. An estimate of fair market value may be founded either on precedent or extrapolation. Fair market value differs from the intrinsic value that an individual may place on the same asset based on their own preferences and circumstances.

An estimate of Fair Market Value is usually subjective due to the circumstances of place, time, the existence of comparable precedents, and the evaluation principles of each involved person. Opinions on value are always based upon subjective interpretation of available information at the time of assessment.

Therefore, your area (northeast USA) serves as the basis from which to estimate the truck's value given its condition and equipment relative to other similar vehicles with the same body style and driveline configuration.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:25 PM
mcangelo4
Freshman User
Thats correct HIO....Hence the reason why I am asking your humble opinion

Old 05-27-2015, 03:54 PM
biederboat
Elder User
I didn't see that the original miles were posted anywhere on the ad. General rule is that it has to be less than 75K to be considered "low" on a classic car. Also, this is not exactly what I would call a decent swap (coming out of an 84 'Stang). IMO (not professional), I'd say it's about $2-3K too high, just under $10K would seem about right.

But, if you really want it and can easily afford it, dicker as best you can and go for it.

Good luck,
BB

Old 05-27-2015, 04:21 PM
mcangelo4
Freshman User
I am not that knowledgeable so I really appreciate the feedback. Why isnt the 84 stang not a good choice?

Im more concerned about reselling it if I have to....I dont think I can get it back...Thats why I am asking...

Old 05-27-2015, 06:14 PM
GM4WALLS
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My .02...

I used to show dogs. Championed out a bunch, even Grand Championed out two. I sold pups at $2500 each and once sold an adult for $8,000.

What does that have to do with trucks you ask. The only true value anything has is what someone is willing to pay for it. You can ask $50k, but until someone ponies up the dough, you may be the only one that values something that much. I would never pay eight grand for a dog, but I sold one for that. That truck is very nice, but at the asking price, it better be perfect.

I just saw a mediocre short bed 79' two wheel drive with a 351, AT and a small amount of rust, sell for $6,800. I could see that truck fetching $8,000-$9,000 if you found the right buyer if you wanted to resell it later, so keep that in mind if you make an offer.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:00 PM
DirtyLarry
Senior User
What he said ^^^^. It's only worth what someone will give for it. The lower the price the larger the pool of people willing to pay for it. The higher the price, well you get the message. I've always thought flare sides looked AWESOME! Especially the 6th and 7th gen trucks. If I was shopping for a fun truck I'd pay extra just for that. Hope you get a good deal.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:21 PM
mcangelo4
Freshman User
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Old 05-27-2015, 08:08 PM
biederboat
Elder User
Why isnt the 84 stang not a good choice?

Im more concerned about reselling it if I have to....I dont think I can get it back...Thats why I am asking...
Well, let's just say that 1984 was NOT a good year in American car manufacturing. It was a few years later before it really broke out well. More modern engines were built to a lot tighter tolerances and just lasted longer. I'm sure I'll get some arguments but I'll stand by that statement. Now, if it had at least say a late 90's 5.0 out of a GT, that would better (if done properly). Also, not saying the 1984 is a bad motor (if it was done right), more just saying that it doesn't enhance the value.

Your last statement tells me a lot. I hate to give unsolicited advice but, if you can't afford to buy this truck as if you WERE overpaying for it, then maybe you should think twice. I know rust-free is hard to find out there but I just shipping a VW van from Oregon to NY area for around $700. Lots of lower priced and rust-free example out west here. There are also agents that will check a car out for you to verify it's being represented accurately. Just another option.

Good luck,
BB

Old 05-27-2015, 08:25 PM
mcangelo4
Freshman User
Really? Well thanks for the great feedback BB.....

ORegan to NY for $700? How? I like a car on eBay and would be interested in learning more about your shipping and car agent idea....Any chance you can give me a call or talk offline? I think im still too new to PM

Old 05-27-2015, 08:29 PM
mcangelo4
Freshman User
The one I posted original is out of my comfort zone in terms of a budget but these trucks are super rare in NY and its a one owner so if I could get it back I wouldn't mind spending some more but I don't think the owner will ever go below 11K so I don't think we would ever reach an agreement...

I don't mind a little rust as long as its not cancer.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-100-Rare-Shortbed-Stepside-factory-hotrod-truck-302-/121658759221?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c536d5835&item=121658759221

Is one that I am interested in....As long as it runs with no cancer rust or major issues Im happy with what I see....

1978 Ford F100 Stepside 3 speed

This was the other one...Im thinking about driving out there as its 10 hours away...He is willing to come down on price.- Side question why is the red ones bed metal not oak?
photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/<wbr>133418330@N03/sets/<wbr>72157653382220235

360 closeup view

Cold start, then driving

Door

Door

Engine

Old 05-27-2015, 08:53 PM
mcangelo4
Freshman User
biederboat please contact me as if you are interested I would like to see if your interested in inspecting vehicle for me for a fee that is near you 347-672-6155

Old 05-27-2015, 09:55 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The '84 Mustang engine isn't a bad engine ... certainly more powerful than a 302 from '78-79. The '85 engine would've been more desirable, as it had a roller cam, but ... no biggie. I wouldn't consider it a negative, just not a huge positive that adds thousands of dollars worth of value.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:13 PM
biederboat
Elder User
Really? Well thanks for the great feedback BB.....

ORegan to NY for $700? How? I like a car on eBay and would be interested in learning more about your shipping and car agent idea....Any chance you can give me a call or talk offline? I think im still too new to PM
You need to find a broker who has a guy running a "route"; that's what makes it economical. I didn't arrange it, the guy who bought the van from me did but just do some googling. I know it's feasible, you just need to dig to find the right guy. I'm sorry if I passed myself off as an expert but I've heard/read/seen enough of it to know that it can be accomplished safely and economically if you are patient. The fact that you posted here before running out and buy this truck shows you have a lot more patience than a lot of other folks.

BB

Quick Reply: Fair Market Value on this 79 Sideflare?