6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

truck dies with low icp pressure after bulletproofing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 PM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck dies with low icp pressure after bulletproofing

Hey guys,

I just finished up building my 03 6.0. New oem head gaskets, heads checked and surfaced, arp head studs, new oem oil cooler, new oem hpop, blue spring upgrade, 6.4 banjo bolts, new mbrp up pipes, 5" flopro exhaust, turbo rebuild with WW2 and edge insight cts. I did an egr delete before winter. I drove the truck a couple weeks ago about 4 miles and it smoked quite a bit of white. So I headed home and it died right in my driveway. I noticed a little bit of a chugging sound at idle and had a code for cylinder 5 balance. I let the truck sit for a few minutes (checked the oil and added a couple quarts) and it started up. I bought an injector and noticed cylinder 5 exh. Pushrod was bent. So I replaced the injector and all the pushrods and the truck fires right up, no smoke, and sounds smkother than it ever has. It revs up just fine with a small puff of black when it should and will sit and idle all day long. So i went to drive it tonight, made it a half of a mile, went to give it full throttle and it fell on its face and died. I watched the icp pressure as I cranked it and it went between 320 and 400 psi. After maybe 10 minutes it barely started. But idled healthy. I drove it back home a half mile and as soon as I lifted the throttle the same thing happened. I let it sit 10 minutes and it started. I pulled it into the shop, power braked it on the concrete floor and the truck took off like a raped ape and spun tires through 3rd gear before I could let off the throttle. So I pulled forward another 10 feet and smae thing, it had no trouble just melting the back tires. I let off the throttle and it didnt die. I shut the truck off and it fired right up with icp pressure climbing right up past 500. Do you think there's still air in the hpo system? I had the oil rails off, the stand pipes, the oil cooler and the hpop when doing all the work. I hope to god its just air. I have no more time or funds for this truck. Also, im getting no codes.

Thanks guys

Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Post up some numbers for

ICP
ICPV
IPR%

Old 05-27-2015, 09:43 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Air in system, you need a few good blasts to clear it.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:59 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is quite possible I have seen a few trucks go 30 miles before all the air worked out.
Others just a few minutes. An oring may not have properly seated and then the increased oil pressure forced it to seat correctly.

Like benny asks a little more info will help make a better diagnosis.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:11 AM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Ok thanks guys. I'm going to check all the numbers after work. The truck will sit and idle for an hour with oil temp getting up to 195 degrees and I can shut it off and start it right back up. But as soon as I took it down the road she died. Hopefully its air but I'll post up numbers when I get them after work.

Thanks guys

Old 05-27-2015, 01:47 PM
F-250HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine took QUITE A WHILE to get all of the air out after removing rails. Maybe 30 miles+ and driving like you stole it!

Old 05-27-2015, 04:50 PM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Ok guys here are my numbers with the engine idling and oil temp at 163.

Icp pressure. 640
Ipr pressure. 25%
Icp voltage. 0.9 v

I shut the truck off and watched the numbers as i restarted it. 162 degree oil temp. Numbers are while cranking for 2 seconds. Once started the numbers were same as above.

Icp. 1200 psi
Ipr ( jumped from 35 to 45 to 85 in a second and went right back to 25%)
Icp voltage 1.0

I know the Ipr jumping to 85% is not good and signals a hpo leak but on my edge insight it jumped to 85% for half a second until it started and went right back down.

Thanks guys

Old 05-27-2015, 04:54 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
have you pulled the IPR and checked the screen for trash? Doesn't sound like a pump issue yet but "new" HPOP's are quite often as not bad out of the box.

Check your FICM numbers also

Old 05-27-2015, 05:03 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
If the IPR was more than the 25%, I'd be worried then. Higher % would indicate a leak, 23-25 is good, 30% or more leak likely.

It asked for more and responded, that may have been air passing by. Drive it and watch. Air won't move until forced to, higher pressure will move it, low pressure just goes around it.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:06 PM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
have you pulled the IPR and checked the screen for trash? Doesn't sound like a pump issue yet but "new" HPOP's are quite often as not bad out of the box.

Check your FICM numbers also

Ficm is a rebuild from ed done last fall and ficm voltage is 48 volts. I have not pulled Ipr yet because I don't have the socket and I I'm tired of pulling the turbo off. I did pull it while I had the cover off and screen was fine. I understand stuff can be in it from having everything apart and back together now though

Old 05-27-2015, 06:53 PM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Well I let truck warm up to 194 oil temp and it seemed ok. Went down the road 200 feet and it died. Won't restart. Icp barely goes over 400, Ipr stays at 85% ,
And Icp voltage is 0.6-0.7

Also, oil pressure gauge on dash isn't climbing until it starts. When it does start it sounds great with no miss or problem and the Icp and Ipr numbers are right where they should be. Also, I can hit 85% on the Ipr in park at full rev. Idk what numbers should be while reving/ driving

Old 05-27-2015, 07:14 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
You've got a leak or a clogged screen. Was hoping air for all your trouble so far. Driving could be 580 to 4000 for pressure.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:36 PM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Is there a common leak for these 03-04s ? I put in New stand pipes and new hpop. I know about testing with air but it is a pain with the sensor under the turbo. Thinking I'll just buy a new Ipr valve too.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:51 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
your going to Post sensor values 3 times

#1=KOEO
#2=Idle
#3=2500rpm

But you gave enough info to determine a HPO Problem

IPR at 25% at idle is the tell tell sign especialy with an 03
Mine runs 21.4% at Idle with the rebult OEM HPOP I isnstalled awhile back

One thing before you dig in again is check ICPV at KOEO and Post so we can see if you ICP sensor is OK

then go for IPR

Might also want to check the oil house drain since its all been apart

Old 05-27-2015, 08:09 PM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
your going to Post sensor values 3 times

#1=KOEO
#2=Idle
#3=2500rpm

But you gave enough info to determine a HPO Problem

IPR at 25% at idle is the tell tell sign especialy with an 03
Mine runs 21.4% at Idle with the rebult OEM HPOP I isnstalled awhile back

One thing before you dig in again is check ICPV at KOEO and Post so we can see if you ICP sensor is OK

then go for IPR

Might also want to check the oil house drain since its all been apart
Key on engine off is 0.2 volts.
Key on idle it is 0.6 volts.

Would a bad Ipr valve cause all this though? I'm assuming clogged Ipr screen since I had everything off and maybe some fire resistant firewall material fell in even though I tried to watch as close as I could. With new stand pipes and new hpop Is there anything else to really cause a hpo leak? I guess the oil rail nipples but everything ran fine before I took it apart besides the hpop itself being shot.

Quick Reply: truck dies with low icp pressure after bulletproofing