Up pipes, turbo, turbo pedistal Removed

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Amicus
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Up pipes, turbo, turbo pedistal Removed

Hi everyone,

This weekend was a busy weekend for me and my boy. What I thought would be a good father and son project ( still is) turned out to be a major thing for me.

My Up pipes were leaking so I removed the IC tubes, removed the turbo and the pedestal and disconnected everything that need to be disconnected. My plan is to install new up pipes, do a EBPV delete kit and update the turbo wheel and hopefully put everything back. So I have a few questions if you ya'll don't mind.

First, what can I use to clean up the valley? It was pretty filthy with oil and grime and junk.

Second, I know that new up pipes are best and I'm thinking of ordering the Dorman Bellowed up pipes from A auto. The up pipes I took off are in good shape. It seems that a good cleaning with a wire brush and new gaskets would do the Job. Just wanted to get some opinion's. New or original?

Third, Riff Raff site shows that they are out of Garrett Non EBPV/blank pedestals. Is there another place to purchase?

Fourth, Is there a big difference in performance between the Anti Surge compression Wheel $66.43 and the Billet Compression wheel $195.00?

Fifth, Is there any other upgrades/suggestions I should do while all this is off. I don't want to get under the covers, not yet. My son is a little worried that his future truck will not get put back together.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gilbert

Old 05-26-2015, 02:51 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
Originally Posted by Amicus
First, what can I use to clean up the valley? It was pretty filthy with oil and grime and junk.
Simple green and paper towels if you don't want to get it wet, water if you can (warmer the better). Just don't get any water in the engine.

Second, I know that new up pipes are best and I'm thinking of ordering the Dorman Bellowed up pipes from A auto. The up pipes I took off are in good shape. It seems that a good cleaning with a wire brush and new gaskets would do the Job. Just wanted to get some opinion's. New or original?
I'm installing Dorman pipes on mine. (Just painted them with high temp paint) Bellowed pipes, even Dorman, are a better design and less prone to leaks. Personally I'd take that route, and am. That said, I have a set of donuts and used up-pipes available, lol

Third, Riff Raff site shows that they are out of Garrett Non EBPV/blank pedestals. Is there another place to purchase?
There's a few places that sell them, or you could delete it yourself. Personally I think the non-EBV one is better/cleaner looking, and that's what I have. Try Bob at Diesel-O-Rings.

Fourth, Is there a big difference in performance between the Anti Surge compression Wheel $66.43 and the Billet Compression wheel $195.00?
No, unless you're having issues with surge, I'd save your money.

Fifth, Is there any other upgrades/suggestions I should do while all this is off. I don't want to get under the covers, not yet. My son is a little worried that his future truck will not get put back together.
All new o-rings, (for the turbo/pedestal) and I'd consider doing the fuel bowl rebuild if it hasn't been done any time recently.

Plenum inserts from Riffraff then T-bolt clamps on the plenums/spider are a pretty big improvement, as well as new boots. Sky's the limit when it comes to improvements, it's all how far you want to go.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
If you search for the pedestal delete you can find it, out there.

Here is a link to it at Diesel-o-rings which is another well known site used by FTE.

http://www.dieselorings.com/turbo-pe...99-5-2003.html

As for other items that you may want to include. I would suggest replacing the boots while you have it all apart.

Complete CAC Intercooler Boot Kit 99-03 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

and

Intercooler Boot Complete Clamp Kit 7.3L 99.5-03 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 05-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Amicus
More Turbo
Thanks guys, forgot to mention that Im replacing the boots too.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:12 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree with others suggestions. Also, if not doing fuel bowl rebuild/head connections, at least provide some protection for passenger side fuel line at clamp. A split fuel hose around line under clamp works.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Amicus
More Turbo
Just wanted to give an update for anyone that might be interested.

First of all I have to say, PRAISE THE LORD!!!. I spent a lot of time in prayer trying to get the turbo and up pipes connected properly.

I know It was Devine intervention and sound wisdom from this site that I was able to get everything connected and working. As I mentioned on another thread, the first time I connected the up pipes and turbo and went for a test drive I had exhaust/smoke come in from the dash. After getting some good advice from here I disassembled everything and started again. I used my phone to take pics and get things lined up. It was several attempts/prayers at getting the collector and turbo lined up and finally clamped together.

All in all I'm glad I got it done. It was a good experience for me. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, hopefully not for a long time. Along with new Dorman Up pipes, I did a EBPV delete with new pedestal, new wicked wheel, CCV mod, Foil delete (IC pipe), AIH delete and new boots from Riff Raff. Painted the IC tubes ford blue and with the blue boots it looks pretty nice.
The Truck sounds good and it seems to be a little bit more responsive. Looking forward to more upgrades in the near future.

Thanks again for all the help.

Gilbert

Old 06-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Gilbert, you forgot the most important part of your update...What do you think of the results? How is the truck running now compared to the way it was before the tune up?

Old 06-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Amicus
More Turbo
Sous, The truck runs great. Its more responsive and it has better acceleration. Its not head jerking acceleration but you can definitely feel the power increase from before the upgrades. I'm really happy I did it.. It sounds really good too.

Would like to do some more mods but not sure how much I should push with a 400,000 mile engine. My Son and I are hoping to get a few hundred thousand more.

Thanks again

Gilbert

Old 06-05-2015, 06:32 PM
izzybird
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DND58
I agree with others suggestions. Also, if not doing fuel bowl rebuild/head connections, at least provide some protection for passenger side fuel line at clamp. A split fuel hose around line under clamp works.
Everyone that owns one of these trucks should make sure and get this done.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:00 AM
Osmond4X4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J

All in all I'm glad I got it done. It was a good experience for me. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, hopefully not for a long time. Along with new Dorman Up pipes, I did a EBPV delete with new pedestal, new wicked wheel, CCV mod, Foil delete (IC pipe), AIH delete and new boots from Riff Raff. Painted the IC tubes ford blue and with the blue boots it looks pretty nice.
The Truck sounds good and it seems to be a little bit more responsive. Looking forward to more upgrades in the near future.
Is there any benefit to the foil delete from the intercooler pipe or is it stickily cosmetic? Thinking about doing it myself.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Amicus
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Osmond4X4
Is there any benefit to the foil delete from the intercooler pipe or is it stickily cosmetic? Thinking about doing it myself.
I think it's just cosmetic. Sound wise I think it's the same.