Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Spend my money (wisely!)- Cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:45 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Spend my money (wisely!)- Cooling fan

My clutch fan isn't working properly and needs replaced with something.

Not sure if it's better to go with a replacement OEM clutch fan or "upgrade" to an electric setup

I have a build thread (in my signature), but I usually break out big issues for separate posts.

I've been reading threads like this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/96...version-3.html

I'm fairly good with electrical/electronic stuff and have fabbed parts before for other projects (though I'm not the best at "finish quality"), so I'm thinking about an electric cooling fan...maybe

I'm reading about 20HP parasitic draw from the mechanical fan when engaged and the like. The discussion above is centered around the older IDI's, but wouldn't it be the same on ours?

I'm interested in the "Cliff's Notes" version if anyone has experience to share?

Obviously, I am going to have to spend some $$ on a solution, beit mechanical or electric, anyways, so help me spend wisely, please!

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:51 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
CLIFF'S NOTES VERSION (others will add details)

If you don't tow, the risk of under-cooling (over heating) with an electric fan option is drastically reduced, but I've read a number of reports of still overheating in slow heavy traffic. On the other hand, if you DO tow/haul heavy, you need LOTS of air... more than a 2x16" 5200 cfm electric fan option can faithfully provide.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:58 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F250_
... if you DO tow/haul heavy, you need LOTS of air... more than a 2x16" 5200 cfm electric fan option can faithfully provide.
Thanks for responding

This is the part that concerns me. The threads I read were about the IDI's. I don't know how that compares to my 2002 7.3L setup

I also saw the Windstar dual electric fan setups being used in the threads.

Any idea what CFM our mechanical fans are?

Old 05-26-2015, 11:01 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ExPACamper

Any idea what CFM our mechanical fans are?

Not really... it would vary, though, based on the engine rpm.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:16 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My thinking on this has always been "if the fan fully engages it is because you need it".

My fan rarely fully engages but the times that it does I don't think an electric setup would have the CFM to cool the amount of heat I am generating.

I really think for our application it is a complete waste of money. We are not looking for 1/10th of a second in the 1/4 mile.

If you can clutch is in need of a reI personally have seen no difference in performance between the OEM and a NAPA part. I am not saying there is no difference just that my mileage and ability to tow cooly has remained the same.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:21 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I considered ditching the OEM fan for an electric setup when I first bought my truck. From everything I read back then I stayed with the OEM setup.

Prior to this truck I had a '97 F-150 SCab 5.4L 2wd. To help lighten the load I bought a set of dual electric fans and installed them and loved it...initially. The fans starts were staggered to minimize the load on the electrical system and together they had more airflow than the OEM engine mounted cooling fan. One fan alone, however, did not provide as much CFM as the OEM fan. Over the three years I had that setup I replaced at least one fan every year due to failure of the motor or the relay (which in turn fried the fan motor). I don't know how the new setups are but for mine you had to REMOVE the radiator to replace the fans. And every time you had to remove/replace a fan you had copper rods that you had to insert between the radiator fins (without puncturing any of the passages). Add onto that cutting and splicing in new components (and cutting out burnt wires) and a coolant flush each time and it adds up. I will say that when I took the OEM fan off I could feel the difference. The truck felt like I added 20hp to it which was awesome! The next three years of cumulatively replace the entire system at least twice, not so much.

While I am sure that my personal experience might be the exception instead of the norm, the constant thought of losing cooling to my engine whether towing or not (it's already hauling 8000lbs of truck and driver at a minimum) is not something I want in the back of my mind. I'm not looking to hot rod around or beat anybody between stoplights (okay, maybe surprise at least a few people when I get on the freeway) so I decided early on to keep the OEM cooling fan. I've never overheated and it's served me without fail for 8 years and counting.

Just my .02

Old 05-26-2015, 01:40 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Hmmm...

I can't say how much my clutch fan is operating, apparently it hasn't been- or at least not sufficiently

Reliability is definitely a requirement. Time is an issue now. 2 weeks to our big camping trip!

Maybe I'll look around for a replacement clutch fan and revisit the electric option later, if needed.

Thanks for all the input!

Old 05-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm with Clem on this, and I'll add: Stinky's OEM fan has been put to real tests in my desert environment. It works great!

Electric introduces a whole new set of potential issues, and you won't find the equivalent of 20 HP of fan drive.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:35 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I'm on it...

Old 05-26-2015, 09:10 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
If what Flex-A-Lite is claiming on this setup is true, the fuel savings alone would be worth it. But I am very leary of the claims, 2-3 MPG? My guess is that is a boilerplate statement for their fans installed mostly on gassers.

Flex-a-lite 272, Flex-a-lite Ford Powerstroke Diesel Dual Electric Fan | Flex-a-lite

Old 05-27-2015, 07:57 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The magic numbers are all there and they make sense, but it is still deceptive nonetheless. COMPARED TO AN ENGAGED FAN CLUTCH you get a 17 HP bump and 2-3 MPG improvement. If your fan clutch is engaged long enough to do MPG readings, you have bigger problems than fuel economy to address.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:52 AM
F250_
Hotshot
You are exactly right, Rich... the calculations assume a high percentage (if not 100%) of fan clutch engagement, and that simply is not the case for almost all of us. That means that we'll never see those theoretical benefits.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:11 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Boy, that makes a lot of sense!

I only have aa few conditions where I see higher temps and it seems my clutch fan isn't working properly.

I've made arrangements to pick up a clutch fan later this week.

Thanks, guys!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:45 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
My fuel economy went up when I put the fans on my 5.4L F-150 but not enough to make it a selling point. I only saw about 1/2 mpg increase overall.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Boy, that makes a lot of sense!

I only have aa few conditions where I see higher temps and it seems my clutch fan isn't working properly.

I've made arrangements to pick up a clutch fan later this week.

Thanks, guys!
Don't be surprised when the new fan clutch behaves exactly like the old one. I needed a new radiator.

Quick Reply: Spend my money (wisely!)- Cooling fan