1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Flood in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:18 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Flood in Houston

We had 11" of rain here last night in about 3 hours of heavy rain. Almost every freeway has at least on spot that is closed, thousands of flooded cars, and crazy people still trying to get around.
My shop floor had about 1/2" of water since we are in the Heights, just a little higher than most of the city. No damage to my truck or tools!

Name:  IMG_0062.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0063.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  125.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0064.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  156.5 KB
There is actually a freeway underneath this overpass...

Old 05-26-2015, 08:25 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 762 Likes on 373 Posts
Holy smokes that's a lot of water. Freeways usually have about 14 feet of clearance. So we are looking at 15 to 16 feet of water flowing there...Crazy.
I like the one high school closed to power outage. If power was on, what, were they going to boat people in. Man, stay dry.

Do we have any other FTE brothers in the Houston area? How are you all doing?

Old 05-26-2015, 08:52 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow That's a Lot of Rain, We could use some of that here in AZ. Stay safe and dry.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 AM
MLBaranowski
Freshman User
I had plans to make run up to Katy today. But I guess I will just have to do it later this week.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:28 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I've been watching that on the news. Amazing that it can be (in one case) 9.5 ft above flood stage, over such flat ground! That's a HUGE amount of water! Hope your situation improves!

Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MLBaranowski
I had plans to make run up to Katy today. But I guess I will just have to do it later this week.
Yes, probably best to change your plans
Buffalo Bayou, which goes through the center of town and turns into the Ship Channel, is 31 feet above normal right now. I haven't seen water like this here since '89 when we had a tropical storm that dumped 22" of rain in 24 hours.
We are staying in today, but many fools are out and getting stuck. Tow trucks will have a great couple of days!

Old 05-26-2015, 09:44 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Harrier
Holy smokes that's a lot of water. Freeways usually have about 14 feet of clearance. So we are looking at 15 to 16 feet of water flowing there...Crazy.
I like the one high school closed to power outage. If power was on, what, were they going to boat people in. Man, stay dry.

Do we have any other FTE brothers in the Houston area? How are you all doing?
That particular overpass has 17' 6" of clearance, the freeway is cut low there for about a mile. And the schools were trying to downplay all the water and really hesitated to call for closure. My wife works for Houston ISD and they said, until the last minute, that they were just going to have a two hour delay - as if all this water could just drain in two hours and all the thousands of drowned cars would be off the roads that fast. Not to mention that most of the roads in the city are or were flooded for many hours. They finally called school off as did all the other districts and private schools. The entire city is just about shut down. The medical center is open for emergencies but it is almost impossible to get there unless you go via the Lifeflight hellicopters.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:22 AM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Originally Posted by ChuckRob
Wow That's a Lot of Rain, We could use some of that here in AZ. Stay safe and dry.
We didnt do so well last time it rained here in Phoenix...

But no where near what they have got going on in Houston.

Glad to hear that you haven't experienced any property loss from the rain. It probably inst over yet though? Have more rain in the forecast?

Old 05-26-2015, 11:26 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
We too could use a little of that rain here in SoCal...I have been watching the news coverage of TX and my heart goes out to all those folks who have lost lives and property.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:08 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Been a Hell of a year for rain in South Texas and we got about the same in San Antonio.
Sure has been good for tractor & mower sales even though it has been very bad for most people!!
TractormanBill

Old 05-26-2015, 07:00 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Alcaeus
We didnt do so well last time it rained here in Phoenix..
But no where near what they have got going on in Houston.

Glad to hear that you haven't experienced any property loss from the rain. It probably inst over yet though? Have more rain in the forecast?
All the water is receding quickly with just a few really bad spots still. All in all we have been really lucky with no real damage. Many others not so lucky.

Some rain predicted tonight and a fairly wet week, but nothing coming like last night at least so far!
Thanks for all the good wishes everybody!

Old 05-27-2015, 12:16 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I cant even imagine that much rain in such a short amount of time, scary stuff, Biblical scary. I'm glad your tools and shop missed the deep stuff. It's sad to see so many folks devastated by the weather patterns this spring.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:41 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow that is crazy, hope you guys are all ok down there. I know Ben is up in Austin, did they get the same rain?
This has been a crazy year for weather, even up here in the north east. We had no spring at all, winter ran long and then went right to summer.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:09 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Topper & Dave,
The same system hit us hard on Memorial Day - Downtown Austin flooded & the Hill Country west of San Antonio was wrecked with 400 homes lost. The town of Wimberley really flooded with a 42 foot wave of water - nearly wiped them out.

Our place is good - some anxious moments - a lot of tornado warnings.
The sun is out this morning - thank goodness.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-27-2015, 10:33 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man,I had know ideal. I've been in North Carolina for vacation,just got back in tonight. I was very fortunate that Jersey Village didn't get it that bad,my Vette was in the garage and the shop my truck is at didn't have any problems. Ben & Top I'm glad you're well, hope everyone out there fares well. L8R ZFLASH

Quick Reply: Flood in Houston