1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 ford f350 Problems part 2 . Need some help lose power and smokes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:25 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have a ford 2006 f350 Turbo diesel 6.0l King ranch if anyone could help me trouble shoot this and I hope it isn't to painful since I only had the truck for a week and half now.

I did have a check engine light on and that is gone now. Because of what i did down below.

So I was driving down the free way and I went to pass someone and I pressed down on the gas to floor it and I got going fast and I heard the boost and looked behind me and see black smoke blow out my stack.
Now I press on the gas and it takes off slow and if I put the gas to the floor just smoke comes out.

I got off my exit but it seems I have no power it doesn't get up and go like the beast it is.
There is no boost and seems like no power and it smokes alot now to but i can drive it down the road but dont have the power.

I started a thread but im so lost in there that i thought i would try here now and explain what i did.

1.I did check the connections to the intercooler the (Blue hoses) Both looked ok However i have both hoses ordered going to replace them anyhow Hot side boot i think its called the passenger side ones.

2. I checked where the connections from the boost ok (The black hose from the boost to the manifold had a tear in it so i cut some off reinstalled it

3.Today i did both fuel filters

4.This is what the light was on (Exhaust Pressure sensor that that was bad real bad. (Replaced and the check engine light is now off EBP (The one that goes into the side of the manifold.

So now that i done all this what could it be? Im new like i stated before first time ever in truck and i have dug in and did so much i love to learn about my truck and hopfully fix it myself.

So is there fuses?
Maybe the Boost gauge?
Sensor for the turbo?
This truck ran like a champ then nothing last week driving down the freeway.
If anyone could help me and maybe suggest more things that would be great?
I have a feeling its something simple .
Open ears for advise next?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:37 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Do you have a way to view live data?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:46 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Do you have a way to view live data?
I just ordered scan gauges I bet those will help when I get that and install it.

But other than that no?
Right now I used a portable pocket scanner and there are no codes.

Should I run to the auto part store and have them run a scan test on it to? Maybe something will come up for them? But I think theres don't have that. When you say live data im guessing your talking about that

Would a egr make this problem? No turbo no boost loss power?

I was thinking of taking it to Ford letting them find the problem but man all these parts I was hoping it was something simple.

I read things on the net like coked turbo but looking into that I don't think that's it.

I did everything that everyone had stated in previous post just wondering next option.
I don't want to drive it around like this much the smoke is ok until I give it gas but even if I punch it then it will only still go slow and work its way up.

I want to try all things that I can try before I take it in atleast I solved couple problems but would like my power I couldn't pull nothing like this.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:49 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner

Yup.

Is there oil leaking it of the exhaust? Do you hear the turbo through the tail pipe when it is running?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:56 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Yup.

Is there oil leaking it of the exhaust? Do you hear the turbo through the tail pipe when it is running?
Sorry what was the yup part to

I don't see any oil really leaking . Very slight under the pan under the truck but that's it.

Should I run it to the auto part store real quick have them run a reader on it?

Forget going to the auto part store they can only read codes if there is a check engine light that is off now.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:57 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by AxeDigger
Sorry what was the yup part to

I don't see any oil really leaking . Very slight under the pan under the truck but that's it.

Should I run it to the auto part store real quick have them run a reader on it?
I don't think they will find anything. See if you can hear the turbo

Old 05-25-2015, 09:01 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
I don't think they will find anything. See if you can hear the turbo
Im going to go out there when you say see if you can hear the turbo what do you suggest I do to see if I can hear it.

Well I went out there to me just sounds like air under the hood.

Maybe there is a slight hole in them hot side boots and only expands when air trys to push through there.

I'm thinking its something to do with the boost but I don't know iv only had a truck for week and half lol but sees all I have done in the week in half is read and google I don't really want to take it to ford but might be best.

I still think its something simple. But what that is I don't know.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:36 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
I didn't check the EGR valve From reading up on some of these things I have heard they can cause the turbo to not work but would the boost work?

Or 1 thing can shut it all down? it has white and black smoke coming out.

6 hours of working on this im pretty beat

Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by AxeDigger
Im going to go out there when you say see if you can hear the turbo what do you suggest I do to see if I can hear it.

Well I went out there to me just sounds like air under the hood.

Maybe there is a slight hole in them hot side boots and only expands when air trys to push through there.

I'm thinking its something to do with the boost but I don't know iv only had a truck for week and half lol but sees all I have done in the week in half is read and google I don't really want to take it to ford but might be best.

I still think its something simple. But what that is I don't know.
Where are you hearing the air from under the hood?

Old 05-25-2015, 10:45 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Where are you hearing the air from under the hood?
Ya but to be honest I think it had always made this little noise and I don't think the turbo is working at all.

Actually I know it isn't and its not getting boost because the gauge is not working. When I used to drive down the road the gauge would show me boost depending on how fast I was going.

That needle does not move now

Old 05-25-2015, 10:47 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner

Does the exhaust sound like a deep v8 rumble or is it more like a jet?

Old 05-25-2015, 11:00 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Hey, I shouldn't be advising anyone on maintaining a truck, but others here helped me figure out that it was bad injectors when mine was smoking and losing power.

You can sometimes get a feel for it by pulling the injector wires one at a time while idling to see if any don't make a difference (because they're not working). Or go to a reputable mechanic with a high-end analyzer that can do a compression check and load balance to see if one or more cylinders is weaker than others.

My guess would be that the previous owner quit maintaining it and the fuel filters are dirty, such that when you romped on it, the fuel pressure couldn't keep up and starved the injectors, burning one or more out. If so, the likely culprits are Nos. 5 & 7 because they are farthest away from the fuel pump. The pump may be bad as well.

One easy test is to look for bubbles in the upper fuel bowl while cranking it with the key off. If there are bubbles, its because the injector or seals are leaking.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:03 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
I would also suggest moving your post to the 6.0 forum rather than this generic SD forum. The techies hang out over there more I think.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:03 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner

You will still make boost with failing injectors....

Old 05-25-2015, 11:23 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Does the exhaust sound like a deep v8 rumble or is it more like a jet?
I think more like a jet doesn't really sound like the v8

Quick Reply: 2006 ford f350 Problems part 2 . Need some help lose power and smokes.