6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Are Fox 2.0s worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 05:31 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are Fox 2.0s worth it?

They are much more expensive than Bilstein 5100s, a little more than Rancho 9000s.

Pros
1. Build quality looks much better than most
2. Legendary Fox name
3. Serviceable (by Fox)

Conns
1. Only 1yr warranty (vs almost everyone else providing a limited lifetime)
2. More expensive
3. Perception that they will ride harsher (due to more Performance based perception)
4. Serviceable by Fox only

My question is, how do they ride, compared to Bilstein and Ranchos? Should I be concerned about the 1yr warranty?

I am looking for comfort more than anything.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:10 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While I have never read a review of the Fox shocks for a Ford superduty, I am becoming very impressed with my newly installed Rancho 9000 shocks as I get them more dialed in for my driving conditions, local road surfaces, and preference.

I read your question more than a few times, and to be honest under the list of PRO comments I don't really seen any PROs listed.

Legendary name............but established in an entirely different vehicle use and variety of specialized off road sports.

Serviceable only by FOX, what kind of service are you speaking of? Shocks don't really require any service. Either they are good and do their job or they are bad and get replaced. With a one year limited warranty what's to service.

Build quality better than most?

But then I really do no driving that would benefit from having shocks with a reservoir for dampening control.

I paid on average $85 per shock, maybe $10 shipping and a $106 rebate from Rancho being processed.

I'll not try to talk you into any manufacture product line that's a personal preference as well as wallet based. I'm just saying that I am pleased with my choice and becoming more so the longer I have them.

If you do go with the FOX shocks please do come back and post a review, I would be interested in reading it.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
You may want to PM Trent310 he has them.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jonrjen
While I have never read a review of the Fox shocks for a Ford superduty, I am becoming very impressed with my newly installed Rancho 9000 shocks as I get them more dialed in for my driving conditions, local road surfaces, and preference.

I read your question more than a few times, and to be honest under the list of PRO comments I don't really seen any PROs listed.

Legendary name............but established in an entirely different vehicle use and variety of specialized off road sports.

Serviceable only by FOX, what kind of service are you speaking of? Shocks don't really require any service. Either they are good and do their job or they are bad and get replaced. With a one year limited warranty what's to service.

But then I really do no driving that would benefit from having shocks with a reservoir for dampening control.

I paid on average $85 per shock, maybe $10 shipping and a $106 rebate from Rancho being processed.

I'll not try to talk you into any manufacture product line that's a personal preference as well as wallet based. I'm just saying that I am pleased with my choice and becoming more so the longer I have them.

If you do go with the FOX shocks please do come back and post a review, I would be interested in reading it.
Thanks for the information on your 9000s. When I started they were serviceable, I meant they can be valued to your liking. Similar to the Ranchos selectable ****. I like the Ranchos, but I'm concerned about their overall life span as well as how Rancho will really support any warranty issues if they arrise. Actually, I have the same concerns about Fox.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Blapensee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pay 129 per shock on the fox 2.0's.. Best shock I've used so far. I recently got some with the reservoirs mainly for looks but ride the same as the non reservoirs to me. The roads I drive are not the smoothest and they work for me.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:34 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
I just got off the phone with a really cool guy from Fox. He was very knowledgable and explained a lot. They are very proud of their manufacturing process and spend a considerable amount of time fine tuning their shocks before selling them. He also stated that if they wear out, the cost of rebuilding them is generally less than a cheap shock. That was reassuring.

He made a really good point also. He said that their shocks are so good that most of the competition actually offers Fox 2.0s as an special order, premium upgrade on their lift kits. I found that to be true.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:39 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru

I ordered the Fox shocks and will give a full review once installed. This was a msg another member sent me about the Rancho 9000s. Have you experience any of his issues?

Don't get the rancho 9000s I used to run them and its a constant mind game of "oh I can adjust them and it will be all better " there are many situations that I've found that the ranchos cannot react fast enough and you get a weird wobble feeling from the rear end because they are not a charged shock they are foam and oil filled like a factory shock or a steering dampener , I've seen good things from the MX 6 on the half ton segment but I'm sure they change their valving for the light truck segment as far as the bilstiens they ate legit you can't loose with them and they have shaft covers which are cool but they don't do well inverted if you like that look and fox is only inverted

Old 05-26-2015, 11:39 AM
Blapensee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too bad you don't have a 6" lift.. I've got a front pair with less than 100 miles on them I'm trying to part with. Also I like the aluminum body on the fox's vs the rancho 9000's I took off they were rusted considerably which I wasn't a fan of.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This individual is misinformed. The RS9000XL is a charged shock, just not as high as a monotube shock. They used to be foam but no longer. A monotube style shock can be inverted too. Look at various Jeeps out there running a monotube style with the rod down. We prefer rod up to protect the rods from nicks.

Another thing that sets us apart.

PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE AND 90-DAY RISK-FREE RIDE OFFER

We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000™XL, RS7000®MT or Rancho® RS5000™X Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don’t meet the challenge, call us for your money back.

Just wanted to clarify this.

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I ordered the Fox shocks and will give a full review once installed. This was a msg another member sent me about the Rancho 9000s. Have you experience any of his issues?

Don't get the rancho 9000s I used to run them and its a constant mind game of "oh I can adjust them and it will be all better " there are many situations that I've found that the ranchos cannot react fast enough and you get a weird wobble feeling from the rear end because they are not a charged shock they are foam and oil filled like a factory shock or a steering dampener , I've seen good things from the MX 6 on the half ton segment but I'm sure they change their valving for the light truck segment as far as the bilstiens they ate legit you can't loose with them and they have shaft covers which are cool but they don't do well inverted if you like that look and fox is only inverted

Old 05-26-2015, 01:42 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension
This individual is misinformed. The RS9000XL is a charged shock, just not as high as a monotube shock. They used to be foam but no longer. A monotube style shock can be inverted too. Look at various Jeeps out there running a monotube style with the rod down. We prefer rod up to protect the rods from nicks.

Another thing that sets us apart.

PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE AND 90-DAY RISK-FREE RIDE OFFER

We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000™XL, RS7000®MT or Rancho® RS5000™X Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don’t meet the challenge, call us for your money back.

Just wanted to clarify this.

So, whats the deal with the Rancho 7000s? Are they essentially the same as a Bilstein 5100?

Old 05-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
They are the same style as a Bilstein, and a Fox 2.0, a monotube shock.
But our valving and gas charge is different, as all companies will set up their shocks differently.

So, whats the deal with the Rancho 7000s? Are they essentially the same as a Bilstein 5100?

Old 05-26-2015, 01:55 PM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Serviceable only by FOX, what kind of service are you speaking of? Shocks don't really require any service.
High end, and most adjustable off road shocks like the Fox do require regular oil/fluid changes and internal cleaning. I've disassembled many shocks, cleaned them and changed their oil and recharged them. Amazing how filthy dirty black the oil and insides/shim stacks and valving get.
After a good cleaning and fluid change, shocks feel like new again.

Don't confuse crimped/pressed/welded together non-rebuildable throw away shocks, with a high end rebuildable/serviceable unit....

I run Fox shocks on another vehicle and love them. They're expensive though...

jmo

Old 05-26-2015, 02:08 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
I think I'm going to like my Fox shocks when they arrive. I'm excited to review them and really see if they make a difference. I might even do a video review showing a water glass with a level indicator and take the truck on a few paved and dirt roads to see water loss. I'm really more interested in their performance against my current Skyjacker M95 shocks.

I spoke with 4WheelParts today and their suspension expert has sold a ton of pretty much everything. He says that the Fox 2.0 is an exceptional shock as is the Bilstein 5100 and 7100. He puts them at the top. He says he actually pushes the Skyjacker m95s quite a bit for customers who want the performance of a 5100 without the cost. He claims it's a very good Monotube and the best Skyjacker has to offer

He said the Rancho 9000s are great shocks but has heard of them rusting pretty bad in certain climates and they tend to last about 40k miles before needing to be replaced. He pointed out that they are a pretty expensive shock to need replacing instead of offering a rebuild option like Fox does. Interesting point.

I'm still very interested in all of them, but I have already ordered the Fox shocks, so will see how they affect my ride.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:24 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Talking

A few more things! Ha!
I would hit the shock bodys of the the 9000's with a clear coat to add more protection against road grime.
I would also look to a Fluid Film type for the shock bodies of a monotube too. I have seen ALL types of shocks look nasty.
Shocks typically last around 50K, maybe more maybe less depending on various factors.

Lastly if they do need replacing, keep the receipt. They are covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY (limited to qualifying Rancho® products only)*
Tenneco warrants qualifying Rancho® products against defects in materials or workmanship (except finish) when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the products are installed on, and the original purchaser owns, the original vehicle on which they were installed.

In regards to cost. It will be tough to bet the 9000's with the rebate.

Promotions

Good luck with the Fox's!

I think I'm going to like my Fox shocks when they arrive. I'm excited to review them and really see if they make a difference. I might even do a video review showing a water glass with a level indicator and take the truck on a few paved and dirt roads to see water loss. I'm really more interested in their performance against my current Skyjacker M95 shocks.

I spoke with 4WheelParts today and their suspension expert has sold a ton of pretty much everything. He says that the Fox 2.0 is an exceptional shock as is the Bilstein 5100 and 7100. He puts them at the top. He says he actually pushes the Skyjacker m95s quite a bit for customers who want the performance of a 5100 without the cost. He claims it's a very good Monotube and the best Skyjacker has to offer

He said the Rancho 9000s are great shocks but has heard of them rusting pretty bad in certain climates and they tend to last about 40k miles before needing to be replaced. He pointed out that they are a pretty expensive shock to need replacing instead of offering a rebuild option like Fox does. Interesting point.

I'm still very interested in all of them, but I have already ordered the Fox shocks, so will see how they affect my ride.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension
A few more things! Ha!
I would hit the shock bodys of the the 9000's with a clear coat to add more protection against road grime.
I would also look to a Fluid Film type for the shock bodies of a monotube too. I have seen ALL types of shocks look nasty.
Shocks typically last around 50K, maybe more maybe less depending on various factors.

Lastly if they do need replacing, keep the receipt. They are covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY (limited to qualifying Rancho® products only)*
Tenneco warrants qualifying Rancho® products against defects in materials or workmanship (except finish) when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the products are installed on, and the original purchaser owns, the original vehicle on which they were installed.

In regards to cost. It will be tough to bet the 9000's with the rebate.

Promotions

Good luck with the Fox's!
So, what is your honest take on the Fox 2.0 vs the Rancho 9000? I know you're a Rancho rep and that's awesome that you support your product so well. I have elevated Rancho very high in regards to my opinion, but I'm hoping the Fox will be a good purchase since I've already ordered them. However, if I don't like them before installing them I can send them back. Or I could even sell them and simply buy some 9000s. I am really looking for a good overall comparison.

I just look at the exterior build quality of the Fox and they look exceptionally well built. Plus their following seems to be very loyal. I've used Fox shocks on my mountain bikes along with Marzocchi for along time. Their performance has always been amazing and even saved my butt more than a few times. So I trust their manufacturing process. I've never owned a vehicle shock from them though and really am looking for honest and frank feedback.

Quick Reply: Are Fox 2.0s worth it?