6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Any late build changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:19 AM
bookem15
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any late build changes

In a recent post I found that I have one if the lastest build date 2007's (11-06) and was wondering with all the issues in earlier year 6.0's did ford make any late changes? I am talking like oil cooler and fuel pressure issues really anything that plagued the early years.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 AM
bookem15
Senior User
If no late build changes how many miles are people getting before they are having some of the issues with egr and oil cooler?

Old 05-27-2015, 11:49 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Standpipe, dummy plug, stc fitting, and egr cooler--those are the trouble spots that need upgraded parts to do away with the potential issues. I have 150+k on mine and so far only problem I've had was bad degas bottle, egr cooler, and ebp sensor. I'm the second owner and prior to me the only thing changed was the FICM and maybe the egr valve--can't remember. You don't really have to worry much about HPOP on late builds as they very rarely fail. Of course both early and late builds can have HG issues but it's one of those things that can fail tomorrow or go on forever without issue. On the oil cooler if maint is kept up properly and the cooling system is clean you should never have to change the cooler. If you do have to do a PROPER flush then keep up with the maint then you should NEVER have to touch it again.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:17 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
Standpipe, dummy plug, stc fitting, and egr cooler--those are the trouble spots that need upgraded parts to do away with the potential issues. I have 150+k on mine and so far only problem I've had was bad degas bottle, egr cooler, and ebp sensor. I'm the second owner and prior to me the only thing changed was the FICM and maybe the egr valve--can't remember. You don't really have to worry much about HPOP on late builds as they very rarely fail. Of course both early and late builds can have HG issues but it's one of those things that can fail tomorrow or go on forever without issue. On the oil cooler if maint is kept up properly and the cooling system is clean you should never have to change the cooler. If you do have to do a PROPER flush then keep up with the maint then you should NEVER have to touch it again.
^^^^ What he said x2

STC is the one that many have gone a long ways and no problems. However every shop I talked to said if I was only doing one thing that would be it. If it fails under high pressure it can pop back and break the cast aluminum engine plate. A couple years back when I had mine done (proactively) those covers were on back order with no fill date. So the mechanic said to me: if they aren't failing and breaking those plates, then why are there no plates available?! He had a 6.0 sitting there waiting on the plates to come it.

All that said, there was a fix to the STC prior to the hard plumbed one we all know as the final solution. It was a bracket that supported the STC and "might" keep it from catastrophic blow-off. And nobody really knows if that ever made it to the assembly line either, but most folks say it was just available as a replacement part...

Be interesting if you could contact Navistar and give them your engine S/N and see what they know...

Old 05-27-2015, 02:06 PM
walrus
Senior User
Originally Posted by bookem15
If no late build changes how many miles are people getting before they are having some of the issues with egr and oil cooler?
I had 220K on mine before I did the STC, it was not bad, but I had to do dummy plugs and standpipes and was also doing egr cooler and oil cooler (borderline bad) so I just did the STC then.

I probably could have stretched the oil cooler out another few thousand miles with no ill effects, buy why take the chance..

Walrus

Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 PM
bookem15
Senior User
Stupid question what is stc?

Old 05-27-2015, 03:03 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Stupid question what is stc?
Snap to connect fitting on the back of the engine in the high pres sure oiling system. There are also no stupid questions on this forum unless your referring to the one you don't ask. We were all new at one time and no matter what we know or don't know, we're still learning. The 6.0 can make a humble person out of most.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:11 PM
bookem15
Senior User
Thanks I appreciate the info. I will have plenty of questions for sure.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:12 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
I was in a hurry out the door on my last post... Just to go further on the STC fitting alone: if it does fail and crack the aluminum engine plate, besides needing the plate, it takes at least a transmission R&R to get the plate replaced. My mechanic said he's seen them go at ten thousand miles on up.

It is kind of like buying insurance, something we hate to do but have to, and each decides what they can or want to afford if things go wrong... I personally hate getting stranded, and I hate more the thought of it happening to my wife, who often goes camping with just a girlfriend or two...

Old 05-27-2015, 07:24 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Snap to connect fitting on the back of the engine in the high pres sure oiling system. There are also no stupid questions on this forum unless your referring to the one you don't ask. We were all new at one time and no matter what we know or don't know, we're still learning. The 6.0 can make a humble person out of most.
Perfect post!!!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 PM
bookem15
Senior User
Whats an average cost of having a dealer do the stc fitting replacement? I am not sure if I want to take that task on myself.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:07 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Whats an average cost of having a dealer do the stc fitting replacement? I am not sure if I want to take that task on myself.
I wouldn't take it to a dealer personally, if I could find a good independent Ford diesel (someone that knows 6.0s) shop, I'd go there...

My whole Bullet Proof "lite" job was a couple grand in labor and that included Dummy Plugs, Stand Pipes (they both were updated), STC, updated HPOP and IPR pickup screens, updated Oil cooler, BP style EGR cooler, clean EGR and Turbo, coolant flush and fill with EC1 rated coolant and Distilled Water, install fumoto valves on block drains -- I think that's it, read my sig it's mostly in there.

I did my own Bluespring, Coolant Filter, Trans pan/filter upgrade, just did the OD pulley on a factory 140A Alt (you want to figure out what you have and go to mine as a minimum).

Then there is the camp that says fix it as it breaks... To each his/her own, I ordered the truck brand new, and then updated things to what Ford would have built had they been putting 6.0s in F series still in, say '09... Ok, except for the EGR cooler, they still think their's is fine, but I don't...

Last edited by diesel_dan; 05-27-2015 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added f series
Old 05-27-2015, 08:12 PM
bookem15
Senior User
I wonder what percentage of them are going out? I really do not like getting stranded so I guess I will look for a local guy to see what it cost for them to do it. How long does this job take and average guy to replace? I am mechanically inclined and can probably do it myself but I just do not know these motors very well.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:23 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
I wonder what percentage of them are going out? I really do not like getting stranded so I guess I will look for a local guy to see what it cost for them to do it. How long does this job take and average guy to replace? I am mechanically inclined and can probably do it myself but I just do not know these motors very well.
If you are also physically capable, then by all means you should do it. I've done a lot of work and design/build when I raced in my younger years, but my body is dang broken and I am at the point where my mind says "let's go do it", but I need to STOP and do things that are recreational, and spend my "body hours" left there.

First thing you need to do is assess your truck and then decide what to do. So many things can be done while you are going after one or two things and are easy, since you are in that deep. For example: coolant to oil temp difference high? coolant hasn't been flushed recently? That sort of thing... You know you are going in as deep as replacing the oil cooler, might as well do a chemical flush which will likely clog it anyway, do all the work in addition while you are in there, and refill the coolant to EC-1 on the button-up side...

Do you have a Scangauge or other live data capture device (Torque, Dash Boss, etc.)?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:31 PM
bookem15
Senior User
no I have to get the scan tool for my iPhone so I can check my numbers before I go in so I can do a few of these things at the same time.

Quick Reply: Any late build changes