Toyhauler modifications thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:56 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,946 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Thanks for the kind words folks.......

DessertRat........Good stuff. I am planning solar panels in the future. I don't like running the generator if I can help it.

Today......finished building a 2nd spare tire mount under the rear of the 5th wheel........Almost finished adding a window in the forward, master bedroom.

I'll get photos posted tomorrow.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Finished up all that is going to get done. Always more to do.

I got delayed today a bunch......My network/computer customer had a major problem with the Network Server and a Database program that is essential to their daily operations.......... 4.5+ hours out of my day. That started at 0715 this morning. Oh well.....Diesel fuel money.....

The 2nd window in the forward master bedroom is done !!

Opening cut in the side wall of the slideout.

Extra framing installed.......

The original window.....

New window installed....& sealed.<br/>Blue trim was a funny for Lynn.

My Heidi helper

Original window.......

New window.....

New window.....

That is all..........

We get underway in the morning...........

Old 06-11-2015, 05:56 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your skills are just amazing. Very nice work.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job Roy!!! Blue trim is a bit different... LOL

Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Nice job Roy!!! Blue trim is a bit different... LOL
Thanks.......
Gotta love that trim........
I'll be changing that...

Old 07-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Well, I've got a few more mods here and in the mail. Got a new door lock coming for the garage man door, matched with the same key code as the front door. Apparently if you put the wrong key in these Global Link deadbolts, they jam up, won't let the key out, and once you finally yank it out, the key and tumbler are both broke.........................................Ther e's a nice warning on the inside of the door about it. But in the dark, well, oops. So I've got a new one coming keyed the same as the front door so it will never happen again. Really thought about going the Keyless RVLock route, but after building the new bike last month, I've spent enough money. Also have support poles and brackets to go on the electric awning, need to get them out for powdercoat then they can go on.

The big upgrade happening in 2 weeks is the trailer getting converted to 50A and adding the second air in the garage. The one 15K just can't do it. I really screwed the pooch on that on the order. One time I would have wished for a salesman smart enough to tell me I was making a big, foolish mistake. Regardless, due to an ignorant workmanship issue, and my agreeing to fix it rather than send it back to the factory for repair, Puma has agreed to pay for the 50A cord and inlet, converter, wiring from inlet to converter, 13.5k unit for garage, and wiring to the new A/C. I'm on the hook for the labor to install the A/C unit itself. Guess it all worked out in the end.

Should have the bike rack completed soon too, just hope I'll be able to ride in 3 weeks................Lots of doing nothing the past two days and resting the ankle, seems to be a lot better today. Going to try to put the work boots back on tomorrow. Going camping Friday, so hopefully I can get through a two day week.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:16 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roy,
Amazing stuff.
I take it you have hydraulic front jacks as the picture shows? Didn't know they were even made. Also, it looks like the a/c duct could use a tie wrap or two. They install them, knowing gravity will take over, but don't support them.
How you upgraded your alternator to 140 amp in your truck. Just wondering how your rig handles the heavy charging needed for 3 batteries?

I've put in two computer back up AGM batteries in parallel at 104#'s each to help with my dry camping needs. Nice when friends help the cause with good deals.
Also changed out my cheap CH751 basement locks for a two sided, keyed alike,
more secure tumbler system after I had two large outside carpets stolen.

Also, knowing two guys can pull your 5 wheel hitch our of your bed in seconds, I created several locks to prevent a quick getaway.

Lots of extra juice when necessary.

I use this old Yale lock because once the slider gets underneath, bolt cutters won't work.

A little hard to understand but a lock to secure the kingpin on the hitch assembly.

Secured from the opportunistic theif.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by r2millers
How you upgraded your alternator to 140 amp in your truck. Just wondering how your rig handles the heavy charging needed for 3 batteries?
Bob, '13 up, Lariat and up trim levels get the 140A standard now. Your one pic took a bit of looking to understand, but I never even gave a thought to locking the hitch head to the base. I lock the base to the truck, hmm. Adding a second battery to mine has been a consideration also.

*edit* The 15 up, lariat up get a 157A standard now. Think in 13 is was 140A

Old 07-21-2015, 11:38 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
Bob, '13 up, Lariat and up trim levels get the 140A standard now. Your one pic took a bit of looking to understand, but I never even gave a thought to locking the hitch head to the base. I lock the base to the truck, hmm. Adding a second battery to mine has been a consideration also.

*edit* The 15 up, lariat up get a 157A standard now. Think in 13 is was 140A
Thanks Scott. I added some additional comments below each pic to help clarify.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:27 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Howdy Bob and Scott.............

The Truck has Dual Alternators....ordered it that way from the factory. 380 amps.
I am going to replace the standard charging wire to the 7-pin connector in the truck with a larger gauge.

On the trip to Alaska that we are on.......I replaced the two 6 volt batteries and added two Group 29 12volt batteries.

Here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15507236

Old 07-21-2015, 02:16 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Scott, I like the idea of keying the locks alike. That would be much more convenient.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

I want locks that open when I say, "open says a me"

Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Not only do I want the ock to open, I want the door to open, too.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:55 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by CarlT100
Scott, I like the idea of keying the locks alike. That would be much more convenient.

Don't know what brand of locks yours uses, mine are Global Link, but it cost me 19.99 plus shipping to eliminate that hassle. Well worth it IMO. You can buy just the tumblers for $4.50, BUT you need a special key that the public can't buy to change them. In my case the one is screwed up already and won't take a key, so new lock it is. I had to take the whole thing apart and gut the deadbolt parts just to get the door open.

One would think, that with how many locks the manufacturers (I believe the doors are built by Lippert) buy that matching up the locksets on double door trailers at assembly wouldn't be that hard.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:30 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
I will definitely look into this.

Quick Reply: Toyhauler modifications thread