Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Blowing "starter motor relay coil" fuse. Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 02:17 PM
Skuyrkendall
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blowing "starter motor relay coil" fuse. Please help!!!

Hello all,

I have a thread below that stated my first issue I've been having. I wanted to maybe start a new one just to catch someone's eye. I've read as much as I can on my issue and I'm out of options. Really don't want to send it back to ford :/

I have a 01 F250 with the V 10. I recently had the battery replaced, starter solenoid and wires from battery. The truck was trying to start itself a few weeks ago. Just got it back from Ford yesterday. Went out to start it today and noticed the fuse was blow. I'll post what I said in the other thread below. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

" Thanks for all of the replies. They helped somewhat but I was never able to get her going under my own power. Sent it to Ford Just got it back yesterday. They replaced the started solenoid, wires from battery and replaced battery. Drove home just fine. When I got home I turned the truck off and started it again, no issues.

We got a heavy rain storm last night and now I am dealing with a new problem. Went out this morning to drive to church and it would not start. After further investigation I noticed the "Starter Motor Relay Coil, Clutch Switch" fuse (Fuse 20 under the steering wheel) was blown. After replacing and reconnecting the battery it blew again when I turned the key.

Any advice on what to do next?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank yall so much."

Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
You really should have kept this in the same thread, and they are certainly related.

First time, rain cause the "start by itself" - got that fixed, second time, more rain causes the fuse to blow, driving basically the same circuit that would make it try to start by itself.

You really need to check for a leaking windshield. Did you check the passenger-side floor and see if it's wet yet?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:13 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
You really need to check for a leaking windshield. Did you check the passenger-side floor and see if it's wet yet?
Speaking as someone in the auto/truck glass biz make sure to check under the floor mats for leaks too. Often times windshields leaks aren't visible because the water runs down behind mats etc, never dripping onto visible surfaces or areas.