Old 05-25-2015, 11:05 AM
"Phatman"
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-25-2015, 11:10 AM
"Phatman"
Senior User
Engine runs pretty good. It's stock no tuner or anything. Like all of them it has some play in the steering wheel. Will be addressing that in the near future. Will drive it more after I finish changing all of the fluids.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:31 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
You have an 05 motor(orange sticker/PS valve cover). That's cool.
Factory oil cap. Also cool(6.0ls only really like Motorcraft oil/fuel filters).
A little residue around the coolant cap. Could be nothing, but something to pay attention to. Any residue on the bottom of hood in the degas bottle area?
The aftermarket air filter could be good/bad, depending on how well it's been maintained.
The PCM cover is missing. It typically covers the top of the DS battery, and the PCM(component just outboard of DS battery w 3 large connectors).
A clip or two is missing from the loom protector over the turbo. Those get broken/lost during turbo R/R. No biggie.
Hot side turbo CAC boot is factory. Depending on it's condition, you may want to change it as PM. If it's blows on the road, you're stuck. That usually happens on a hot day, while you're towing up along hill, with a heavy trailer, and the whole family wondering what just happened.

Any signs of a tuner(gauges/out of place wiring)? NM, you answered while I was typing.

Is it a Canadian truck?

Doesn't look bad from the pics. Have you done any live monitoring on it yet?

Old 05-25-2015, 01:37 PM
"Phatman"
Senior User
Wow. All that from those 2 pics. Wish you were here when I bought it lol. Ok so not Canadian truck... Nc, truck was local. No live monitoring yet soon to come. Dealer said they put in 2 injectors when PO traded it. Plan on a paper air filter or just rocking the sock method. If I can prevent a disaster I certainly aim to do so. Also no residue on underside of hood or around coolant bottle and coolant looks clean. But I'm still going to flush just to be sure.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:45 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

The air filter is up to you. Most immediate concern is dusting the turbo. The compressor spins so fast that even the finest contaminants can wear on the blades. Pulling the filter, and checking inside the hard intake tube with a strong flashlight will show if anything is making it through. It really should be about spotless. If you spend a lot of time on dusty roads, it's worth taking some extra precautions. Dusting the motor(piston ring/cylinder wall wear from contaminants) is possible, but much less probable as the CAC and residual CCV oil tends to catch that junk before it makes it to the cylinders.

The live data will tell you a lot about the general health of the bolt ons around the motor. Have you decided what you'll use as a monitor, and what to look for? Those numbers may indicate how you should proceed with a coolant flush.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:36 PM
"Phatman"
Senior User
I have no idea what monitoring system. Looked at some on eBay. They were like 500+. Not really what I want to spend right now. Maybe you can point me in a good direction.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:46 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by "Phatman"
I have no idea what monitoring system. Looked at some on eBay. They were like 500+. Not really what I want to spend right now. Maybe you can point me in a good direction.
Torque Pro is a $5 smartphone app that pulls data from the OBDII port via a $20 Bluetooth adaptor. Pros: Great GUI, and more comprehensive data feedback than the SGII. Additional features, like track recorder, which are just plain cool. Con's: You either leave an expensive smartphone on the dash all the time, or hassle around setting it up when you want to use it.

A ScanGuageII is around $130, and also plugs in under the dash. Pros: Typically mounted in a more permanent fashion. Always there when you need it. Con's: Primitive display, and less comprehensive, but adequate, data feedback.

Both are very simple, popular, and can get you all the basic information you need to assess the most common issues. There are tons of threads here on FTE dedicated to those 2 readers. I have both. SGII is always in, and on. Torque is fun, but I don't break it out unless I need something specific from it.

The only thing either won't do is read fuel pressure. There is no sensor on the vehicle to read from. Low fuel pressure can kill a set of 6.0l injectors in short order. Even using a "loaner" mechanical gauge is better than not knowing at all. Make sure it has an M12x1.5 adaptor to fit the test port.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 PM
"Phatman"
Senior User
Found the SGII on eBay like 160.00 so that's doable. And I probably can benefit from the torque pro, I have a spare IPhone collecting dust at the moment. I have a mechanical fuel gauge so spot checks on fuel pressure shouldn't be a problem. BTW, thanks for all of this great advice.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:03 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

No problem. There's a lot to learn. We like sharing, around here.

For the SGII, check the AutoZone website, and dig up an online coupon to save a little bit of cash, if need be. Some vendors offer them with the most useful "X gauges" already programmed. The "X" doesn't mean they are Excursion specific. They are typically engine specific codes input by the end user. The list of what's available is always increasing, as guys experiment with different PIDs.

Torque Pro is an excellent application for an old phone. I do the same, with everything cleared off the phone, except music files, as I can stream from it to my HU also.

When you check fuel pressure, there's a test port on the upper fuel bowl. Remove the plug, install the appropriate adapter/hose/gauge. You should read no less than 45psi, and no more than 70psi from that location under any running conditions(idle-WOT). Too low and the intestifer pistons in the injectors can chew up their bores. Too much and you risk blowing out one of the injector body o-rings that seal the injector to fuel galley in the head.

Here's a pic of the fuel pressure test port. I have an electronic sender installed for a permanent A pillar gauge. This is located right above the thermostat housing, where the upper radiator hose attaches to motor.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:21 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Here's something else to chew on. The 6.0l bible. Once you understand every single page of this, you'll have a greater understanding of this motor than 90% of PSD owners, and a lot of professional techs

Old 05-25-2015, 09:41 PM
"Phatman"
Senior User
Looks like I have a lot of work to do over next couple of weeks lol. Have you had your 6.0 for a long time. You seem to know a lot more than the average Joe. Did that sending unit come with the fuel pressure gauge or did u have to buy separate. Fuel pressure pod is definitely on my list of things to get.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:53 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

I'm the original owner of my X. They'll probably bury me in it. Prop me up behind the wheel please. Don't lay me in the back. LOL

Take your time, and get a good plan. If you're serious about watching fuel pressure, check out a digital monitor like an Edge CTS. It may be cheaper in the long run than having a mix of monitoring equipment. The sendor may be included in the gauge price, or it's available at additional cost. You need them matched so their outputs match the interface input.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:52 AM
"Phatman"
Senior User
Thanks. I'll post progress and/or questions as we go. Planning family vacation the first of August so I wanna make sure it's good to go.