1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 F250 7.3 Auto, wondering how well itll pull.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:36 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
96 F250 7.3 Auto, wondering how well itll pull.

So Im wanting some honest torque and hp numbers of what you guys think Im close to right now. (Obviously I know Im not gonna win any sled pulls) 96 7.3 Super cab long bed auto 4.10s in the diffs, 265/75R16s did the 6637 and resonator delete still stock exhaust and muffler. Im seeing about 10psi max boost when I get into it. Did the pyro, egt, and tranny temp gauges, and the exhaust brake, so I can pull a little safer down 13% grades. Honestly how much hp and torque did I gain from doing these? And should I be able to easily pull 7k up 7-13% grades for 20-30 miles at a time? Also would deleting the muffler help the motor out any? Also is there anything else Im missing to help for towing? Im not doing injectors Id like to preserve the life of the motor longer then have more power, not doing a chip either for that reason. Thanks in advance for the responses guys. Pic of said truck cause we all like OBS ****.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:22 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Maybe 10hp

Yiur boost is low you should be 14-17psi.

Look around all the manifolds, up pipes, and collector for soot.
Then you need to build a leak detector for the intake side so you can check for boost leaks

Old 05-23-2015, 02:37 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordpride
Maybe 10hp

Yiur boost is low you should be 14-17psi.

Look around all the manifolds, up pipes, and collector for soot.
Then you need to build a leak detector for the intake side so you can check for boost leaks
Ok will do. Can a pinched boost line give false numbers? When I got my 1/8" polyethylene tubing the person that packaged it, zip tied it together and it has some kinks in it.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:41 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If it's kinked bad yes

Old 05-23-2015, 09:07 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
No injectors or chip??? That sounds no bueno...lots of guys have fine luck with longevity with lots of mods. Ignoring the egt gauge will end it real fast tho.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Ok so lets say I get a chip, will that help out enough to make it worth it right now with just my current setup? How much are bigger injectors?

Old 05-23-2015, 12:31 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
If it were me I would make it run well first.
Exhaust (downpipe as well)
Intake
Delete epv
Up pipes sealed
Chip (not edge or bully dog)
Efuel
Intercooler
T500

Maximize what you have first.
I made 200 at the tires and 365 tq on a very stingey dyno.

Then see how you like it .
It should run pretty good without being a money pit.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman67
If it were me I would make it run well first.
Exhaust (downpipe as well)
Intake
Delete epv
Up pipes sealed
Chip (not edge or bully dog)
Efuel
Intercooler
T500

Maximize what you have first.
I made 200 at the tires and 365 tq on a very stingey dyno.

Then see how you like it .
It should run pretty good without being a money pit.
Can someone spell it out to me since Im a bit of a caveman when it comes to this.

What size downpipe/exhaust? Ive already got the resonator deleted
Ive already deleted the Exhaust pressure valve
I did the 6637 intake
What is an Efuel, intercooler and a T500?

Old 05-23-2015, 05:09 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd bite my tongue on that one. Aaron knows his stuff.

A 3" downpipe is as big as you will fit. The stock one is a crushed restriction. 4" exhaust is the most common and the complete kit from diamond eye is very affordable.

Efuel. Electric fuel system. The stock system is borderline adequate on the best of systems.

T500 is a high pressure oil pump. If you can find a cheap superduty pump( and you have a 95-97 psd) it will help as well. But the t500 is cheaper than a new superduty pump sooooo

Intercooler or CAC Cools the compressed air before it gets to the motor. I wouldn't bother with it unless your egt gauge says to.

And gauges. Especially egt and trans temp if you have a automatic.

Next time just ask.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
I'd bite my tongue on that one. Aaron knows his stuff.

Didn't mean Aaron was a caveman, was talking about myself. I wouldn't make fun of someone trying to help, I appreciate any info and help I can get, cause I need it. But I fixed it so theres no confusion. Thanks for the help and info man.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=MOOSE_MACHINE;15378368

A 3" downpipe is as big as you will fit. The stock one is a crushed restriction. 4" exhaust is the most common and the complete kit from diamond eye is very affordable.

Efuel. Electric fuel system. The stock system is borderline adequate on the best of systems.

T500 is a high pressure oil pump. If you can find a cheap superduty pump( and you have a 95-97 psd) it will help as well. But the t500 is cheaper than a new superduty pump sooooo

Intercooler or CAC Cools the compressed air before it gets to the motor. I wouldn't bother with it unless your egt gauge says to.

And gauges. Especially egt and trans temp if you have a automatic.

Next time just ask.[/QUOTE]

So far I havent seen horrible EGTs so ill wait a bit on the intercooler, The T500 you have to be without a HPOP for however long till u get your new one back. Ill order a downpipe and efuel. thanks for the info.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:56 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No prob. That's what we're here for. E fuel can be a diy item or complete package. Lots diy but in the end you have to find some good prices to make it worth it.

Look into torque pro if you have an android phone or tablet. For roughly $20 you can get a Bluetooth ObdII dongle and the app and monitor most of what the pcm sees and puts out. Also reads codes.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
No prob. That's what we're here for. E fuel can be a diy item or complete package. Lots diy but in the end you have to find some good prices to make it worth it.

Look into torque pro if you have an android phone or tablet. For roughly $20 you can get a Bluetooth ObdII dongle and the app and monitor most of what the pcm sees and puts out. Also reads codes.
If I understand the efuel thing it seems to be about the same as going from carburated to efi on gassers. The torque pro thing is awesome, Thatll be extremely helpfull, to figure out whats going on with the tranny. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:15 PM
ved0303
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ezalycasaid
If I understand the efuel thing it seems to be about the same as going from carburated to efi on gassers. The torque pro thing is awesome, Thatll be extremely helpfull, to figure out whats going on with the tranny. Thanks.
I wouldn't compare Efuel to carb vs. efi. Efuel just converts from a mechanical fuel pump to an electric fuel pump. Most kits delete the fuel bowl too which alone makes it worth it, not to mention a smoother running engine. It's definitely worth it.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Ezalycasaid
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ved0303
I wouldn't compare Efuel to carb vs. efi. Efuel just converts from a mechanical fuel pump to an electric fuel pump. Most kits delete the fuel bowl too which alone makes it worth it, not to mention a smoother running engine. It's definitely worth it.

I really dont have that much more money to put into this thing. Ive still gotta diagnose a tranny issue. (It keeps shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd and from time to time it wont shift from 1st to 2nd unless I let off the throttle momentarily then push back on the throttle,) When I first started this thread it was just me asking if my truck will pull well or if I just wasted a bunch of money on so called "Bulletproof Powerful Diesels" So far it just seems like I coulda threw the 5k total I have into this truck into my gasser and have been towing already. Is it really gonna be that horrible pulling 7k up steeper hills?

Quick Reply: 96 F250 7.3 Auto, wondering how well itll pull.