Sync Lockpick Install and Impressions - 2011 Superduty

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 PM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sync Lockpick Install and Impressions - 2011 Superduty

I've broken this into a couple of posts.

The truck is a 2011 Ford F-450 King Ranch with the factory Sync Navigation system installed. The rearview camera is installed in the handle of the tailgate.
I recently installed a scooter lift on the back of the truck. With the scooter on the lift, the factory backup camera is blocked by the lift motor and the scooter.
With an extra 3 1/2 feet of lift hanging off the backend of the truck, I decided to install a camera on the rear of the lift.

My objectives are:
(1) Ideally, the new camera would have the same functionality as the factory tailgate camera, coming on when the truck is shifted into reverse.
(2) Ability to install and display a camera on the rear of my 40' fifth wheel (I move the scooter lift to the rear of the trailer when towing).
(3) Display any new cameras on the factory Sync display. I don't want an extra screen in the cab, otherwise I could get a wireless backup camera system and be done with it.

After doing some research, I decided to purchase the Coastal Technologies Lockpick system for the interface to the factory navigation system. They claim you can add up to three cameras. There are some other features that might be nice to have, like Nav input while driving, watching a DVD while the vehicle is in motion (Like texting isn't bad enough!) But my primary interest is the camera features.
I also purchased a combination backup camera/brake light and a truck to trailer connector kit for the camera system.

First, the bad news:

I'm VERY disappointed that I lose the functionality of the factory installed camera. The Lockpick has a menu option for "Activate second rear camera" which appears to do nothing since I've tried the system with it both on and off. Common sense says I should have the original camera working as usual and be able to substitute a secondary camera by activating the second rear camera. Where this becomes an issue is if you want the original camera when running solo, and a second camera activated on the rear of a trailer when towing. Doesn't work that way. Read on for my conversation with tech support about this issue.

My second gripe is the use of the phone button to activate the system. Until I had used it for a while, I found myself dialing the last number dialed rather than turning on the Lockpick menu system. It was bad enough that I dialed a bogus number just so I wouldn't be calling my wife, my doctor or my stock broker when I didn't intend to. Just about any of the other buttons on the steering wheel would have been a better choice, in my opinion.

Third, there are several 12 volt connectors for cameras or other accessories (you could power a dash cam using the Lockpick's key-on power, for instance.) I found the voltage on all of these connectors to be around 11 volts, indicating a severe voltage drop through the Lockpick unit.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:01 PM
glsurratt
Elder User
Installation of the Lockpick was fairly straight forward once I found out how to pull the facia off the dash to get at the navigation system. On a 2011 Ford Superduty, there is a 12 volt outlet on the bottom left and the Synch/USB ports on the right mounted in black panels. At the bottom of each panel is a small notch. Put a small flat blade screwdriver in the notch and pry out the black panels. Behind each panel is a hex head bolt that needs to be removed. Starting at the bottom of the facia, pull until the clips release (I had to remove and install the facia six times, so don't worry about breaking the clips.) When the bottom is released, work your way up each side. To release the top clips, push slightly on the bottom of the facia (but not enough to re-engage the lower clips) while pulling a top corner. Ditto for the other side. There are a total of four clips along the top.

The radio/nav system is held in place by four bolts. Remove them and slide the system out. I had enough room behind the facia to work without disconnecting any of the wiring for the climate control system, brake controller or upfitter switches.
The instructions for installing the Lockpick are straight-forward, but there are a couple of caveats.

Where it says the OPTIONAL GPS Connector (a purple connector at the upper left of the radio) is included - it is not required. Don't connect the Lockpick interface or you lose your GPS antenna input to the system.

Make sure the switches are set properly and don't get moved while doing the installation.

If you have a factory installed camera, do NOT connect the camera harness coming from the dash to the Lockpick harness, but DO connect the Lockpick harness to the video jack on the nav box.

After plugging in the Lockpick wiring interface according to the instructions, I wanted to put the Lockpick unit where it would be accessible for plugging in cameras. There is not enough room behind the radio/nav box for it to fit. First inclination was to put it over in or behind the glove box, but that area is full of climate control system. I was able to snake the wiring harness down to the left so the main connector came out near the top of the accelerator pedal. The bolster under the steering wheel has the same kind of clips as the dash facia, so it comes out easily.

Plug the Lockpick into the harness and start the truck. AFter a minute, the Lockpick will display a message about being connected to the tester. Then it's done.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:05 PM
glsurratt
Elder User
I plugged my new camera into the Rear Camera jack on the Lockpick wiring harness, went through the menus and set them up accordingly. Then I shifted into reverse. FAIL. The original camera was displayed along with a rolling ghost image from the new camera. That's when I called Coastal Technologies and talked to Carlos. He asked me to check the wiring connections, especially the small black video connector. Pull the dash and check all the connectors. All tight. No change in the display.

So I called Carlos back and that's when he said that if you have a factory installed camera, you should not connect the video plug from the truck to the Lockpick harness. Pull the dash, disconnect the plug. Now I've got a display, but it's black and white and not very bright. If I pull the RCA plug out far enough to remove the ground, I get a jittery color picture. Neither is satisfactory.

Out of curiosity, I plug the new camera into the Front jack on the Lockpick. Go through the menus, display Front Camera and have a beautiful, stable, color picture of the picknic table and motorhome parked behind me. To me, this indicates that the camera and wiring are good up to the Lockpick.

Call Carlos. He says the camera is not putting out enough signal to overcome the 36 feet of wire from the back of the truck to the Lockpick. As proof, he asked me to find another video source and plug it in. So I grabbed an old DVD player with an RCA out jack and plugged it in and sure enough, I've got DVD playing when I put the truck in reverse.

I'm not convinced that weak signal is the complete problem, since the camera works in the front jack, but not the rear jack.

But for now, my first goal is only half-way there. I've got video from the new rear camera, but only if I tap a couple buttons to turn it on.

Carlos recommended a video amplifier or a stronger camera, so I may be doing some more shopping.
I called Sonic Electronix, where I purchased the Lockpick and discussed the problem with them since they sell Video Amplifiers. Andrew listened to my description of the problems and agreed that there may be a problem with the Lockpick itself. He recommended an advance swap where I would purchase a new Lockpick and they would reimburse me for the original on receiving it back at their store.

Got the second Lockpick and it did not fix the problem. After more troubleshooting, I discovered the problem is a loose pin in the five pin connector at the end of the 36 foot cable. Not an elegant solution, but a popsickle stick and some electrical tape to make a "splint" to hold the connection rigid fixed the problem
So, I've got good video from the new camera displayed on the installed screen when I shift into reverse. And when I move the lift to the rear of the trailer, I plug the camera wire into a 5 pin jack that connects to a coiled wire to the fifth wheel and have the picture from the rear of the fifth wheel when I shift into reverse - or if I turn it on using the phone button on the steering wheel.

As for the camera and stop-light combo, it needs to be installed a lot higher than two feet off the ground for the LED stoplight to be effective and the camera to give a useful picture of more than the rocks on the pavement. But I'm living with that issue. I had to dig into the Ford Trucks forum to find out that there is a wire taped under the rear end of the truck for a third brake light. Wiring the light to a stoplight/turn signal doesn't work with the CANBUS system, so Plus 1 to the forum for that information. I re-wired the fifth wheel harness so the center pin is now a brakelight signal rather than backup lights, which I didn't need anyways.