First Time RV Buyer, What Supplies Do I Need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Csm2501
5th Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put a deposit on a 24ft Jayco X213 bumper pull and am wondering what I need to get as far as essentials go. One of the guys at work said you need septic friendly toilet paper and tabs to keep it from stinking too bad. I never woulda thought of specialty toilet paper. The camper comes with 2 chalks, lug nut remover and a crank for the stabilizer legs. It was suggested I get a bottle jack and stands to change flats and the dealer is "throwing in" new hoses for the water and septic. What else would I want?

Any help from you more experienced RVers would be appreciated!

Thanks

Old 05-22-2015, 05:11 PM
GuardDuck
Junior User
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
You're going to figure out what you really want and need by going out and using it. You can find a lot of lists for equipment and stuff by searching different RV forums, but what you want to do with your trailer is going to determine what stuff you need. That being said, you don't want to find out that you really needed something and not have it. It was recommended to me to first do short trips near to home or even 'camp' in the driveway to figure out how I am planning on using it and what I should get. That was a great idea.

Based upon what you've said there are a few basics I'd add in there.

If your trailer is a double axle you could get a trailer aid rather than the jack and stands.
Amazon.com: Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp: Automotive Amazon.com: Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp: Automotive

The dealers 'free' septic hoses probably are going to be the cheap ones. Don't rely on cheap sewer hose. I like the Rhino-flex system.

Get a non-potable water hose (don't mix use with the different hoses) to do things like rinsing out your sewer hose after dumping.

If you are going to go to campgrounds with hookups you will probably want: water pressure regulator, water filter, power adapters and cords.

Also look into some levelling blocks (lightweight but expensive plastic or cheap and heavy pieces of wood) - you'll need to make sure the trailer is as level as can be so your refrigerator works and you don't damage it.

Easy tip - you can use a cordless drill or impact driver, usually with a 3/4" socket to raise and lower your stabilizer legs.

Oh, sleep a night in your bed and decide if you need a memory foam topper for the mattress

Here's a few links to peruse:

Outfitting Your New RV

RV Tech Library - Table of Contents

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing

That should get you started.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
there is a lot that one can think of as you are out and about. I leave a note pad in the trailer and then as we need to resupply or want something new then I jot it down for the next run to the store.

What has been listed is a good start and should be enough for the first few times to get you started.

visiting with other campers will help fill in the blanks.

I also have a log book for the trailer. I log in the dates, location, round trip distance and anything real important.

that will help a lot for maintance things like wheel bearing greasing.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:08 PM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 720 Likes on 570 Posts
All good ideas, but please use the electric drill on the jacks and not the impact. Nothing like 47 impacts rattling away on 4 jacks apiece on Friday night. Actually doesn't take more than 10 min to do them by hand. Like someone else said spare key outside the camper. Paper and pencil to write down the things you forgot, and a dang good can/bottle opener.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add a surge protector for your shore line unless it already has one built in.
Spare tire (some come without them)..
Flares / emergency kit with first aid stuff / road triangles
FRS radios are handy for when you're backing into a spot and you need to hear your "MON-BACKer"... Cell phones only work when you have service....
5 gallon water jug can be handy when you run out... Just make sure your holding tanks are (not) ready to over-flow..

Last edited by Big-Foot; 06-03-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Schpellink errir and grammar eff-up!
Old 05-23-2015, 10:45 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts
One of the most important things to bring along on camping trips is your sense of humor, because you are going to have your share of "learning opportunities", that's what I call all of my screw ups!
Always try fill the black tank before dumping it to avoid solids buildup there.
Dump the full black tank first then chase it with the contents of the full grey tank, flushes the hose out well. I usually give the hose a quick shot from the grey tank first to check for leaks, then do the black followed by grey.
As was said, don't rely on cheap sewer hoses, they tend to lead to learning opportunities. . Rhino Flex is a good brand.
Always run you trailer tires at the max pressure listed on the sidewalls, check tire and bearing temps at gas, food and rest stops to catch possible issues there.
Water pressure regulators and electric surge protectors are good additions to prevent potential expensive repairs.

I have also found that bringing along a bunch of teenagers (my son and his buddies) saves me a lot of work setting up and packing up!

Old 05-23-2015, 12:19 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I have a craftsman 238 piece set of tools on board. They stay packed with my 5er.

You can get a set that comes in it's own container to maintain right there.

When we are out I do all sorts of little maintance items.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:35 PM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts

The only time we ever used RV toilet paper was when some came free with a unit, just get a cheap single ply and you will be fine. Remember to use enough water when you are flushing and let the tank get to at least 3/4 before dumping and then give it a good tank flush after emptying. If you week end it just add water before you dump to get to the 3/4 mark.

I use cheap Walmart 20ft sewer hoses, not the cheapest but the next one up, they will usually last 3 to 4 years and we are out 8 months a year. We have had our red sewer hose ends for so long they are pink now.

We carry 2 good rv water hoses in case we are a long way from a hydrant, a water regulator is also very important at times. We also carry a Y so we can run two hoses off the hydrant. We also have a sediment filter coming into the trailer and because we spend so much time in the areas that have hard water we have a water softener but we also live in ours most of the year.

Denny

Old 05-23-2015, 01:06 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Csm2501
I just put a deposit on a 24ft Jayco X213 bumper pull and am wondering what I need to get as far as essentials go. One of the guys at work said you need septic friendly toilet paper and tabs to keep it from stinking too bad. I never woulda thought of specialty toilet paper. The camper comes with 2 chalks, lug nut remover and a crank for the stabilizer legs. It was suggested I get a bottle jack and stands to change flats and the dealer is "throwing in" new hoses for the water and septic. What else would I want?

Thanks
Make sure your chemicals are environmentlyrics friendly.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:10 PM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by hturner12
Make sure your chemicals are environmentlyrics friendly.
I haven't seen anything that isn't friendly for years

Denny

Old 05-23-2015, 08:41 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rvpuller
I haven't seen anything that isn't friendly for years

Denny
I have not bought any in years. I used treatzea'' when we had our DP.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:42 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Csm2501

Thanks
Congrats on the new trailer. If this is your first time at the rodeo, it can be somewhat daunting. The bottle jack is a wise idea for changing a flat tire. I know a few others have suggested some wood blocks for leveling. I found going to the local lumber yard/ home improvement center, etc and getting a 2x12 at least 8 feet long. Cutting it down into 1 foot size units. This makes for nice bases for landing pads for the jacks. Also they can help level from side to side. While you are at it, try to locate a 6x6 piece for the jack stand. We use either a 4x6 or 6x6 for the jack stand in work all the time and on our personal RV trailers as well. My boss uses 4x6s for his trailer's stabilizers.

Picking up a cordless impact gun is the way to go lowering an raising the jack stabilizer or changing a tire on the side of the road. I do not leave home with out one. As matter of fact, I bring the impact, sockets, an extra battery, a spare charger, and a power inverter for that charger just in case. I will not mess around for either the trailer tire, jack or even the vehicle's tire for that matter. The rest on your list is a good start. I would factor in 4 chocks instead of 2.

As for the hoses, cords and supplies. The dealer generally provides a starter kit. That is generally an industry standard from what I have seen. When I bought my trailer, I told the salesman that I didn't need the starter kit. Guess what, I still got one. I found the water hose and sewer too short. However, the sewer elbow bailed me out a few times and so did the chem tabs when the wife forgot them on the shopping run before a camping trip.

Sewer hose. At least 15 feet. I believe RV puller hit it on the head with getting a sewer hose from Walmart. Mine is 15 foot long which works at most dump stations and on site sewer hook ups. Speaking of removing the end of the line business. Get some good chem tabs or liquid. I have used both but my wife found some eco friendly product that works well with the black water tank. If I can find the name of it, I will put it up here. Remember to empty the black tank first. This way you can use the grey water tank to "flush" the sewer hose out. Keeps the stink to a min. As for toilet paper, I use the stuff from the closet at home. it works just as well. Usually it is not sitting in the tank for more than a few days hopefully.

Water hose. Personally, this is a spot where it can be tricky. I have camped in spots it was almost 50 feet from the water hook up. Other places I was 10 feet from everything. Go figure. I found a 35 foot hose seems to be the happy place. Make sure you are using potable hoses not the green or red garden hoses. Here is the one I use.

Camco water hose

I got it Walmart. It was cheaper than Amazon. It is a really nice hose and has been the perfect length for pretty much all my camping trips. I will also get a splitter for the connection point for the longer stays. This way we have a spot to rinse things off outside. I also use the potable hose for this as well. I have a simple 25 footer for this. It works great.

Electrical. Once again another sore spot for me. A campground I go to on a regular basis seems to place me in one particular site in which the water and the electrical are split. My trailer is pretty close to water but far from power. I wound up purchasing a 30 foot 30 Amp extension cord for this reason. It is only use for this particular site but hey, I got my air conditioner working. LOL

Other cords. A simple extension cord works well. 14 gauge is fine for most things outdoors like a fan under the canopy or lights. I got a 25 footer for this stuff. Canopy lights. Nothing like party lights

Tool kit. Plain and simple basic hand tools. You will find out how fast you may need something like a wrench or screwdriver for a repair. I got small 16 inch tool box for this. I have all kinds of stuff in it like screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, hammer, tie wraps, electrical tape, duct tape, screws, fuses, utility knife, etc. Basically an emergency repair kit. Trust me I have used this a couple of times. It has saved at least 2 times and a melting down child.

One last thing, add in a first aid kit. Nothing is worse than getting injured without some basic stuff to patch you up quick.

The rest is up to you and your family. Things like patio rugs and chairs offer a nice touch to the campsite. You will find out what you will and will not need as time goes on. Since space is a premium in our trailer, I finally got my wife to understand there is no need for a bathroom cleaner and kitchen cleaner. I use a product like Simple Green for all our cleaning needs. It is a one stop product for the bathroom, kitchen and outside food prep areas.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck and enjoy making memories.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:10 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
If you have an awning and the arms go from trailer out at an angle. Consider water noodles or foam pipe insulation and maybe some caution tape. After you whack the awning arm about 3 times you will understand.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:01 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hturner12
If you have an awning and the arms go from trailer out at an angle. Consider water noodles or foam pipe insulation and maybe some caution tape. After you whack the awning arm about 3 times you will understand.
lol. Slow learner are we

Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
lol. Slow learner are we
Same trip. After we got back ,bought the stuff and they went on as soon as the awning was out. People would walk by see my black and yellow awning arms and comment why didn't I think of that.

Quick Reply: First Time RV Buyer, What Supplies Do I Need?