p0500 speedo works ecm gets no speed signal

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:30 PM
desertruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p0500 speedo works ecm gets no speed signal

97 ranger 2.3l 5spd
ok so first off I'm new and my similar post on dezert rangers didn't get a lot of traction...I am fairly good at troubleshooting diagnosing ect but this one has me stumped....

I keep getting p0500 code. the speedometer and odometer work fine. I understand they get they're reading from the OSS on the transmission. Now I also have the vss in the axle housing which I believe is what gives the ultimate speed reading to the pcm that way there is no need to ever adjust for axle ratio. When using the torque app with my obd reader my OBD MPH guage does nothing until I get to about 55 then it bounces around randomly between 20 and 55 and once I hit 60 mph it reads correctly. I have tried 3 different vss sensors checked wire continuity from sensor to firewall examined the teeth/sprocket that gives the vss it's reading and it all checks out...
my questions are:
does anyone know what volts or ohms are supposed to come out of the plug end so I can test if the signal to the sensor is working
has anyone else had this problem?
Does anyone have wiring schematics for this sensor to pcm...my schematic only has the oss.
Thanks in advance I'm open to ideas whatever you guys got!

Old 05-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by desertruck
I keep getting p0500 code. the speedometer and odometer work fine. I understand they get they're reading from the OSS on the transmission.
No, they get their reading from the VSS.

When using the torque app with my obd reader my OBD MPH guage does nothing until I get to about 55 then it bounces around randomly between 20 and 55 and once I hit 60 mph it reads correctly.
I've seen similar issues when the wiring was damaged. It could have corrosion that increases the resistance, or a low grade short to ground.

does anyone know what volts or ohms are supposed to come out of the plug end so I can test if the signal to the sensor is working
The VSS produces a square wave, not a voltage. You'll need an oscilloscope to be able to look at the output of the VSS.

Does anyone have wiring schematics for this sensor to pcm...my schematic only has the oss.
Let me google that for you

Old 05-22-2015, 03:56 PM
desertruck
New User
I unplugged my oss on the transmission and my speedometer is dead....plug the oss in and unplug vss in differential and speedo works....speedo gets signal from oss.

If you can find a schematic for my year that shows the vss wiring and where it leads I will mail you a 5$bill. Dead serious. Google chiltons hayes....none of them show that sensor even existing. I have found that the green and black wire (other is red and pink) has continuity to ground.
I believe this to be unrelated but am putting it in here cuz it runs in the same wire bunch but my fuel guage will very slowly move to show how much fuel I have once the truck is shut off....when I turn the key to on...the gas guage goes straight to the bottom...

Old 05-22-2015, 04:36 PM
desertruck
New User

Ok so I disconnected the vss on the axle and left the oss connected and my speedo works the same but I still have the obd not working till about 60mph how can that be...the speedo gets the signal but the pcm doesnt?
I've replaced the guage cluster and still have the same problem. I'm literally working on this right now....

Old 05-22-2015, 10:47 PM
KF4EYR
Senior User
check fuses on gem

Old 05-23-2015, 02:21 AM
desertruck
New User
So I unplugged the sensor in the axle and my obd reading did the same thing....so I got a pick n pull oss/vss-transmission sensor (half price weekend) and then it started working at about 30 mph so I went and bought a new sensor and it works great....

Apparently the sensor in the axle does nothing lol

Old 05-23-2015, 12:22 PM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
the sensor on the axle is for ABS, not VSS.