1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 F 150 Ford Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:21 AM
chipanddaleshihtzus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 F 150 Ford Lariat

HI GUYS , I WOULD LIKE SOME ADVICE.

I AM NOT A MECHANIC AND NEITHER IS MY HUSBAND, BUT HE KEEPS SAYING HE IS GOING TO FIX MY TRUCK. """""nAAAA .

ANYWAY ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO MY TRUCK STARTED TO IDLE HIGH , VERY HIGH, THE LOCAL GARAGE COULD NOT FIND THE PROBLEM.

MY HUSBAND THINKS IT'S THE WIRING HARNESS???

THAT WAS 5 YEARS AGO AND I MISS MY TRUCK.

I WANT TO GET IT BACK ON THE ROAD, BUT IT'S BEEN SITTING IN MY GARAGE FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS.

HOW DO I GO ABOUT AT LEAST STARTING IT, WITHOUT RUINING MY GREAT ORIGINAL ENGINE.

THEN I WILL DEAL WITH THE HIGH IDLE PROBLEM.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:56 AM
InfantryCPT
Senior User
a pic of the tag inside the driver door jamb would get us started, unless you know what engine it has in it. Also what does it do now when you turn the key? Of course with a charged battery

Old 05-22-2015, 10:31 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the forum, chipanddaleshihtzus!

Please provide a little more engine information [size, carbureted or fuel injected, mileage, photos, etc.] and we will try to be of assistance.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:57 AM
chipanddaleshihtzus
New User
My F150 Ford Lariat.

1986 F-150 Ford Lariat

I have not turned it over in 5 years because I have been told that I could ruin the engine, none of the oils have been changed, since it has sat. So I don't know how the trucks sounds. But it sure screeched high idle and would not stop . I had the same problem when it was about 5 years old, but a few fuel injector wires later it was fine. It has since had a whole new fuel injector . I just don't want my hubby trying to fix it and screwing it up. I already have to get the bar that runs between the two front tires replaced because he tried to haul his tractor out of the pond with it. That is why it's sittin in the garage. So when I can finally afford to fix it I will, so I figured maybe this year. I could have someone out to the farm and replace all the oils to start with. It's 4 wheel drive and it's got a 302. Not the greatest photo this was one winter a few years ago. I bought this truck on Jan the 3rd right off the transport. Never had a problem , always kept up with the maintenance and oil changes etc. Then I met hubby in 97, and being a man I figured he would care for it as I have. Nope. So it's not been driven .

Old 05-22-2015, 11:20 AM
InfantryCPT
Senior User
So with your description it is a 302 Fuel Injected, that revs high when started, I'm not much a fuelie guy (Fuel Injected). What I would do is check the fluid levels, oil and water, you need both of these to be at proper level for the engine to run and not be damaged, if they look good enough, and the battery is properly charged, it can be cranked. First things first, look at the linkage to the throttle body (the part that moves when you pump the gas) and where it hooks up to the throttle body on the engine. If there is any binding or hanging anywhere this needs to be addressed, the high idle could be due to this catching on something (mechanical), after that I'm going to have to leave it to the others that are proficient with the Fuel Injected systems. Are you planning on doing this yourself? or get your husband to do it? regardless, posting images will be key in the board helping you getting the ole girl up and running again. Good luck

Old 05-22-2015, 12:06 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Post where you are located and perhaps if not too busy, our Moderator can provide a link to the nearest FTE chapter. You might find someone local who can lend a hand.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:33 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I think she's in Canada; there are five different chapters she can join/inquire in, I have no idea which one is closer to her:

Canadian National Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

As for her truck's high idle, my thoughts are to get the engine running again and then pull the codes from the computer, begin there (as always with any computer-controlled vehicle).

Old 05-23-2015, 05:08 AM
chipanddaleshihtzus
New User
F150 Ford Lariat

I read your reply and it's one I read to my husband, so yes, he will most likely do the work, but the linkage throttle body, that was a new one to him and I wrote it on my list of things to check. Thank you. I have not started yet , anything because as I said in my original post. What should I do?? And it's about money too. One step at a time.

I don't know if it was this post or another but someone mentioned turning it over , that can't be with these old oils that have been sitting in it for 5 years right. Shouldn't they all first be replaced.

For the next poster. I am in New Brunswick Canada

Old 05-23-2015, 08:22 AM
ctubutis
Emptying the old oil from the crankcase is never a bad idea; I would also first remove the spark plugs (be sure you label the wires so they can be reinstalled correctly) and pour some automatic transmission fluid into each cylinder to help with initial lubrication.

Make sure there is antifreeze in the cooling system.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:50 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
And when Chris said to pour some automatic transmission fluid in each spark plug hole, he probably meant a small quantity [think 5 CCs; I am trying to think metric, since you are in Canada]. Actually, you could use more, but do not replace the spark plugs until you have allowed the engine to spin by using the starter motor. This will be messy, but will help lubricate the rings and cylinders. When the spark plugs are installed and the engine starts, you can expect plenty of smoke until the transmission fluid is burned.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 PM
ctubutis
The amount to use is one of those things where "it depends."

Ideally, one would thoroughly distribute it inside the cylinder bore so that it can seep down the entire surface of the walls and into the rings. But the only way I can think to do that through a spark plug hole would involve a syringe and a flexible silicon tube kinda like for an aquarium air pump (but more flexible, hence the silicon composition).

But that's probably unrealistic, so I would venture to say more is better here in a way to get it on as much of the wall surface as is possible.

If it's reasonable to get at the intake valves, then adding some there would be beneficial, too... this is easier to do with a carbureted engine, not so much with EFI.