1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My ford 2006 f350 king ranch problem need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:42 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My ford 2006 f350 king ranch problem need some advice

So I have a ford 2006 f350 Turbo diesel King ranch if anyone could help me trouble shoot this and I hope it isn't to painful since I only had the truck for a week and half now.

So I was driving down the free way and I went to pass someone and I pressed down on the gas to floor it and I got going fast and I heard the boost and looked behind me and see black smoke blow out my stack.
I got off my exit but it seems I have no power it doesn't get up and go like the beast it is.

It feels like the pedal wont give it the power it needs or something.

I did notice the boost isn't working now either.

Gosh im new to trucks and stuff but im guessing this isn't a easy fix?

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know
Ill smile now before the out come

I can drive it it goes slow until it gets up to speed but does blow some smoke now.

Safe to drive for now? If there is anything I can look for now??

Last edited by AxeDigger; 05-21-2015 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Had to add something else
Old 05-21-2015, 08:54 PM
shot93
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the turbo, all the connections to the intercooler, all the way to the intake. If something has come loose the air will not get compressed into the intake. I am not real familiar with that motor, but it sounds like your turbo is not creating any pressure.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Originally Posted by shot93
Check the turbo, all the connections to the intercooler, all the way to the intake. If something has come loose the air will not get compressed into the intake. I am not real familiar with that motor, but it sounds like your turbo is not creating any pressure.

Yea it was the weirdest thing ever just like something had quit.

Im not much into motors if it were a motorcycle that would be something else but ill take a peak at things.

I wish it was something that just come off

Old 05-21-2015, 09:27 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Well the Truck is to hot to be touching anything im not driving it tomorrow so ill check when I get home. Its very odd to be that this would happen.

The Turbo wouldn't just blow up and be toast like that would it?

Its weird like something come off or not connected at least im hoping for that

Old 05-21-2015, 10:31 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
You probably have a bad hot side boot or a boot that just came off, but you need some type of gauges like a scan gauge 2 or the torque app for a smart phone to find out what your boost, among other thing is. Very important on this engine.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Originally Posted by jetjockey99
You probably have a bad hot side boot or a boot that just came off, but you need some type of gauges like a scan gauge 2 or the torque app for a smart phone to find out what your boost, among other thing is. Very important on this engine.
When you say boot are you talking about the sleeve or whatever that slides into the turbo?

I guess I could google that google has been my friend you folks are great on this forum since I joined.

As far as the scan gauges yes I will for sure get that someone was guiding me to that on another thread I hope this is a easy find and fix and yes I will for sure be getting them scan gauges . Not to get off topic but do those pretty much just tell you when something is about to happen or point you to the problem?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:08 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
double post

Last edited by AxeDigger; 05-22-2015 at 04:49 AM. Reason: double post
Old 05-22-2015, 04:49 AM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Maybe some sensor ?? around the turbo I don't know do they have them?

Old 05-22-2015, 06:32 AM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Ok lets try to make this easy. Open your hood, look the the turbo kinda looks like a giant snail. From the turbo you will a rubber tube usually blue if stock can be other colors That connects to a metal tubing about 3" around. That runs to the front of the truck to the intercooler there will be another rubber boot connecting the tube to the intercooler. Check those really well the one right by the turbo is usually first to Pop. The ckld side if stock has a plasic tube that can crack as well.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 AM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Originally Posted by 05F250DSL
Ok lets try to make this easy. Open your hood, look the the turbo kinda looks like a giant snail. From the turbo you will a rubber tube usually blue if stock can be other colors That connects to a metal tubing about 3" around. That runs to the front of the truck to the intercooler there will be another rubber boot connecting the tube to the intercooler. Check those really well the one right by the turbo is usually first to Pop. The ckld side if stock has a plasic tube that can crack as well.
Thank you very much..this reminds me of Windows for dummies lol..basic information step by step..I will check it out when I get home thanks again..I do feel it's something simple..

Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Look at the large BLUE tubes (the one with the yellow sticker on it, not the small blue hoses) in post #3 here and then the diagram in post #1.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...duct-blew.html

On yours, the left hand tube should be silver with blue (likely oil soaked and now black) boots, and the right hand tube should be black plastic. What happens is the boots degrade after oil from the crankcase vent soaks them, and eventually they fail. If they pop off you usually hear a big bang and have no power, but they can also tear which is a less spectacular failure but gets the same result of no boost. You might have to entirely remove the tube to check each boot all the way around to make sure there are no tears in the left side one, and no cracks in the plastic right side one.

These are the most popular replacements for the CAC boots and hose clamps if yours are soaked down:
Ford - 03-07 Super Duty 6.0L - Turbo & Related - Intercooler CAC Boots - Riffraff Diesel Performance
That site is a sponsor here, and he makes great 6.0 and 7.3 parts.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:20 AM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Look at the large BLUE tubes (not the small blue hoses) in post #3 here and then the diagram in post #1.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...duct-blew.html

On yours, the left hand tube should be silver with blue (likely oil soaked and now black) boots, and the right hand tube should be black plastic. What happens is the boots degrade after oil from the crankcase vent soaks them, and eventually they fail. If they pop off you usually hear a big bang and have no power, but they can also tear which is a less spectacular failure but gets the same result of no boost. You might have to entirely remove the tube to check each boot all the way around to make sure there are no tears in the left side one, and no cracks in the plastic right side one.

These are the most popular replacements for the CAC boots and hose clamps if yours are soaked down:
Ford - 03-07 Super Duty 6.0L - Turbo & Related - Intercooler CAC Boots - Riffraff Diesel Performance
That site is a sponsor here, and he makes great 6.0 and 7.3 parts.
Thank you very much as well looking forward to getting home later to see if this is is the problem.it really sounds like it...Let me ask someone is they're going to be fluids coming out of these hoses? If one was leaking or blown whittled fluids come out?

Old 05-22-2015, 11:52 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

The tubes are for compressed air, so there shouldn't be any liquids in them, defiantly nothing that you should have to "drain" for. There's always some oil in the CAC tubes, it comes from the crankcase vent that's in the intake tube between the air filter and turbo inlet. There shouldn't be more than a few teaspoons of oil between both CAC tubes, if there is then either your crankcase is overfilled with oil (more likely), or the turbo is having problems (rare on the compressor side).

Old 05-22-2015, 12:32 PM
AxeDigger
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
The tubes are for compressed air, so there shouldn't be any liquids in them, defiantly nothing that you should have to "drain" for. There's always some oil in the CAC tubes, it comes from the crankcase vent that's in the intake tube between the air filter and turbo inlet. There shouldn't be more than a few teaspoons of oil between both CAC tubes, if there is then either your crankcase is overfilled with oil (more likely), or the turbo is having problems (rare on the compressor side).
On I'm glad you understood my spell check on my phone..Thank you very much for this info...I was thinking of a totally different tube..I'll make sure I pass on what I know to others someday..I'm check this out in few hours.I'm hoping something just popped out..

Old 05-22-2015, 12:33 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Since you're newer to the 6.0, here's a some information just about the engine in general. You can come hang out with us in the 6.0L Engine Forum, that's where the really detailed information tends to be discussed
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Tech folder:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ch-folder.html
This is where we keep "common" things like filter changes, basic repairs, and popular modification.

One example of what's in there in this checklist of items to cover when someone buy's a a 6.0 and needs kind of a "quick-start" guide on what to search for in the forum:
Recomendations for New to me owner of a used truck:
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Just bought 06 F350 FX4 6.0!!

You can also put your email into this thread and someone will email you a whole bunch of information that's too large/detailed to be posted into the forums:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ew-owners.html

Even the basics of what brand of filters to buy and what kind of oil play a big difference in how the engine holds up. The electrical system is critically important since Ford installed an undersized alternator, so really read up on batteries and alternator upgrades, that's the easiest thing to prevent engine problems from cascading.

Quick Reply: My ford 2006 f350 king ranch problem need some advice