Sponsored by: DP Tuner

how much is to much for my 02 7.3l?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:18 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much is to much for my 02 7.3l?

Hey guys! So I have a couple questions. My 1999 4x4 f250 crew cab long bed (motor is a 2002 7.3) is getting a beefier tranny next week. My plans for the truck are 175/80 injectors, h2e turbo, and dp-tuner. I talked to jody and he said I'd be in the range of 450-500hp, now my question is can my 7.3 handle this without serious engine work? I know that hp number would probably be on an extreme race tune so I'm guessing my average hp would be around 370. Am I asking for trouble or can it handle it? thanks!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:07 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
500hp is a stretch of the imagination on 175/80's. Maybe with an massively overblown correction factor..... maybe.

Horsepower isn't the determining factor when it comes to the motor holding together. The real factor is torque.

If you have a massive torque number, it means you're dumping every bit of fuel possible at lower RPM's. This will cause sky high cylinder pressure that will help you achieve that torque number, but the engine internals will be stressed to their limits and possibly beyond.

Tuning will control the fueling, and in the end be the largest factor in whether or not your motor pops.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:55 AM
justinlb917
Tuned
Everybody seems to say that dp-tuner is the right way to go is that true?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:18 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by justinlb917
Everybody seems to say that dp-tuner is the right way to go is that true?

I wouldn't say 'everybody'.......

Old 05-21-2015, 11:54 AM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
EVERYBODY That has a chip in their truck has the best, no matter who makes it. I have a DP F6 in mine and I love it. But they all have their cheerleaders and critics. It depends how long they hold up and service/Support, That's what matters to me.....

Old 05-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by coax9952
EVERYBODY That has a chip in their truck has the best, no matter who makes it.
Agreed. And then when they try a different chip, or a different tuner, suddenly now THEY are the best, and the former best is no longer even good.

Through pure dumb luck, I happened to stumble upon the very best tune for my truck. I don't know the tuner's name, but this tune strikes a balance between power, fuel economy, reliability while it is running, and longevity...and seems to do it at all rpms and loads... with no switching settings, and no smoke.

Not that many people around here use this tune, maybe because this mystery tuner doesn't advertise on the forums? Not sure. But in recent years I've noticed more and more people trying the tune I run after they've tried a lot of other tunes and ended up windowing blocks with pulverized rods. So there must be something intriguing about this tune, if the folks who've tried a lot of other tunes finally end up reverting to it at the end of the day.

Wish I knew the name of the tuner... I'd love to pick his or her or their brains on how they arrived at the balance of economy, power, and reliability they achieved. Maybe one day, when they are bored with retirement, they'll post up on the forums and introduce themselves.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:53 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by coax9952
EVERYBODY That has a chip in their truck has the best, no matter who makes it. I have a DP F6 in mine and I love it. But they all have their cheerleaders and critics. It depends how long they hold up and service/Support, That's what matters to me.....

Good luck with that thinking.

OP...Do your research wisely, I'll leave it at that.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:35 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
Well seems maybe guys aren't so fond of dp-tuner after all.. I'm just trying to Make a nice daily driver that can tow and have some power to have fun with once in a whIle nothing crazy😊

Old 05-21-2015, 04:54 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
and now I'm really really afraid of these pmr rods everyone is talking about

Old 05-21-2015, 06:33 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Ok, lets just say that with good tunes - you can be fine at 500hp with PMR's. (probably not with the toons you are considering)

Now, your proposed plan is very expensive and will likely be underwhelming - but considering the source....

You can get a lot closer to 500HP with some 238/100's and a van turbo with WW2. But, a couple of other supporting mods are recommended. Most begin to consider head studs, upgraded valve springs and chromoly pushrods once you start getting over 40psi of boost. Now, 40psi on a regular basis will be a hard life for a van turbo and that charger will limit the power you can make with 238/100's. I would recommend an Irate T4/S468 kit (or similar charger) over the H2E for the money.

The hybrids also require less HPO and are often fine with stock HPOP, unlike the thirsty 'Stage 2's' that won't make their full potential without an upgraded HPOP.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:29 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Agreed. And then when they try a different chip, or a different tuner, suddenly now THEY are the best, and the former best is no longer even good.

Through pure dumb luck, I happened to stumble upon the very best tune for my truck. I don't know the tuner's name, but this tune strikes a balance between power, fuel economy, reliability while it is running, and longevity...and seems to do it at all rpms and loads... with no switching settings, and no smoke.

Not that many people around here use this tune, maybe because this mystery tuner doesn't advertise on the forums? Not sure. But in recent years I've noticed more and more people trying the tune I run after they've tried a lot of other tunes and ended up windowing blocks with pulverized rods. So there must be something intriguing about this tune, if the folks who've tried a lot of other tunes finally end up reverting to it at the end of the day.

Wish I knew the name of the tuner... I'd love to pick his or her or their brains on how they arrived at the balance of economy, power, and reliability they achieved. Maybe one day, when they are bored with retirement, they'll post up on the forums and introduce themselves.
I run the same tuner as you I am pretty sure. But hard to say since he has never taken credit for his work. Actually the company takes all the credit for his work. Grant it I will never see 500hp but with these tunes I am sure I'll see 500k and I have heard of guys with a million miles with this tuner.

I want to know how many guys that run these different tuners have over 500k with said tuner in their truck. I ask that because there is always a trade off when want to make hp at the cost of engine life. But if all you want is hp there are many tuners that will help you blow up or wear the engine out quicker. But I guess it might be worth it to be able to tell your buddies I have 500hp. I guess I'm just too old and should just stay on the pouch like a good old dog.

Sorry guys for the

Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Before I'd talk anymore about mods, tunes and HP, I'd be interested to hear more about the beefier transmission.

Many local shops have built beefy transmission that couldn't handle half of what you're talking about. Who's building your transmission?

Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jetdoc
Good luck with that thinking.

OP...Do your research wisely, I'll leave it at that.

I rest My Case.......

Old 05-21-2015, 10:45 PM
justinlb917
Tuned
Ok let's get some stuff straight! I'm not shooting for 500. 380-400(450"maybe") I do want engine life I'm not sure the exact number on milage since the original motor was swapped for the 2002. It's a strong motor it picks up quick and starts off the bat. My torque converter is on it's way out that's the reason for the tranny rebuild. He's not a known shopen but he's known around here basically he will do whatever you want. So I told him dacco HD torque converter, dacco rebuild kit, john woods shift kit, and he's doing custom stuff like oil line mods and that good stuff I mean 450hp if anything would be a race tune and be pushing the tuner to the limits. On average I'll probably be running at like 350 for towing/daily driving I don't sit there all day with my foot on the gas. I want milage and longevity for the engine and truck and just something to have fun with once in a whIle I am 17 and have been working with these 7.3ls for as long as I can remember and love em! Spent 350k miles in my 99 dually still have her but shes my cruising girl now😏

Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
At 17, you probably realize that some of the advice you might receive on a forum like this may come from folks who have been "working with these 7.3Ls" longer than you've been alive.

If you've already got a "strong motor" that "picks up quick and starts off the bat", then I can think of a lot better ways to go broke than fixing what ain't broke, and isn't even broke in yet.

And all that money for what? A dyno run certificate that says "450hp"? If I could be 17 again, I'd consider committing those funds instead toward a different type of certificate... like a Certificate of Title on a starter property, or another Certificate of Graduation from a college or trade school degree program.

Quick Reply: how much is to much for my 02 7.3l?