6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:52 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford scan tool

I have a normal scan tool but I'm looking for something like the dealer uses. I'd like to be able to turn off the DPF system, turn on factory dealer only systems that I didn't order. I know it's like $3500 but if it can do what a delete kit can plus I could scan others truck and install manual regen, etc that would be a plus. I've seen a link to one on here but can't remember where it was or how to search it.
If I am wrong in the assumption of what this thing can do please let me know. I'd hate to drop $3500 on a glorified $120 scan tool.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:19 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
search for IDS or VCM.

Ford diagnostics computer? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

You can buy a clone but doesn't come with most up to date software off eBay for about 175-200. It will allow you to do lots but may not everything on the 2015.

Motorcraft Technical Resource

Old 05-31-2015, 08:56 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Thank you for the link. That's what I was looking for. I have a bit of reading left to do.
I'm not sure of the full capabilities of this thing and want to make sure it will do everything I think it will before buying it.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure what gave you the impression the Ford diagnostic equipment has the ability to disable the DPF or that it gives you the ability to turn options on and off that don't exist on a vehicle. If I am reading your question wrong I apologize. Disabling something for diagnostic purposes is very different that deleting. There are some factory features/functions in modules that can be configured depending on how the vehicle was built. Adding non-factory, dealer installed options and accessories usually require added hardware which then must be configured or programmed.

Now, if you want the best DIAGNOSTIC tool for your Ford the IDS is tool you want. I strongly urge you to stay away from Cheap Chinese counterfeit VCM's. First for the obvious legal reasons, second, the moral issue and that these knock-offs raise the prices of the genuine product for those of us who buy them and lastly, I have seen many accounts of defects in the counterfeit VCM's affecting their performance and even their ability to connect to and identify a vehicle. Yes, I do realize you did not elude that you were headed that way... I just wanted to expand on what has been mentioned.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:07 PM
gi1gamesh
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I grabbed a beta copy of the windows version of Forscan which seemed to have a lot of bang for the buck(free..) Download FORScan

I bought a cheap USB OBD 2 adapter off Amazon. I think I paid 7 or 8 bucks for it. Not for the faint of heart though.. There was plenty of windows driver wrangling and malware laden downloads to sift through before I could get that USB adapter to work in windows and there is some rewiring involved to get the USB adapter to talk to MS-Can. I haven't had a need to talk to MS-Can yet. I may get the OBD LINK MX or similar when an MS-CAN need arises rather than butchering my el' cheapo adapter..

I had an old laptop laying around so my total investment was like $8 and some time frigging with drivers.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:02 PM
Rattler1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gi1gamesh
I grabbed a beta copy of the windows version of Forscan which seemed to have a lot of bang for the buck(free..) Download FORScan

I bought a cheap USB OBD 2 adapter off Amazon. I think I paid 7 or 8 bucks for it. Not for the faint of heart though.. There was plenty of windows driver wrangling and malware laden downloads to sift through before I could get that USB adapter to work in windows and there is some rewiring involved to get the USB adapter to talk to MS-Can. I haven't had a need to talk to MS-Can yet. I may get the OBD LINK MX or similar when an MS-CAN need arises rather than butchering my el' cheapo adapter..

I had an old laptop laying around so my total investment was like $8 and some time frigging with drivers.
I'm not sure if obd2 is similar to obd1 as far as usb cables and 'talking' to the computer. There was a guy on one of the 6.5 forums that made a connector cable for around $10.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:55 AM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
Not sure what gave you the impression the Ford diagnostic equipment has the ability to disable the DPF or that it gives you the ability to turn options on and off that don't exist on a vehicle.
I guess I was mistaken. That's why I ask here before making the purchase.
The unit I was looking for would be able to adjust fuel tank size in the PCM, manual regen, DRL, idle shutdown timer, etc.
Not things that I would necessarily want but could charge friends to activate or deactivate to help recover some of the cost of the unit.
I was hoping that it would also deactivate the DPF system and EGR but sounds like that's not the case.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueOx
The unit I was looking for would be able to adjust fuel tank size in the PCM, manual regen, DRL, idle shutdown timer, etc.
Like I said, SOME things are indeed configurable and these items you listed CAN be changed. Just keep in mind that the older the vehicle (model year) fewer things that can be changed will be available. But, you cant disable emissions components/functions.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:58 AM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Ok. Thank you for that clarification.
I don't think it's worth it to me if it can only do half of what I thought.