Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Windshield Upgrade - New Acoustic Glass for our Older Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:48 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Thumbs up Windshield Upgrade - New Acoustic Glass for our Older Trucks

EDIT: Original report below this line has been UPDATED beginning in Post #7.

ALSO... In Post #41, I report that the windshield DOES fit, and that the VIN window in the black trim around the windshield is perfectly located over my VIN tag!

ORIGINAL Post...

Nope. Can't be done, even though it probably does physically fit. (perhaps... fitment issue still unresolved)

Having done some research online, and then having had my local Carlite glass shop do more of their own research, here is what we have found:

1. The "block size" for the 2014 SoundScreen is exactly the same as that for our older trucks.

2. The glass technicians commonly install the older style glass in the newer trucks because it is cheaper (have not verified anyone who has done so in a 2014 or 2015 yet, probably because of the next item below).

3. The location of the VIN tag on the window frame has been moved in the 2014 and 2015 year models. Consequently, the black trim around the glass perimeter in the 2014 SoundScreen covers the VIN for our older trucks, and by law, the glass installer cannot cover that VIN label. (In Alabama, according to both the State Troopers Office and the DMV, covering the VIN on the dash is NOT a legal problem.)

4. The black trim is laminated between the glass layers and is not something which can be scraped off to reveal a VIN tag in a different location on the frame. (Incorrect, the black is a ceramic covering on the inside of the glass, but it still cannot be removed without damaging the glass surface.)

READ ON...

Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So it will fit, and physically can be installed is what I got out of that.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:34 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Probably. We stopped short of final verification because of the VIN view window issue. Regardless, if your installer follows the law, he/she cannot legally install the new version unless you relocate your VIN tag, and I'm not sure about the legality of doing that, either.

EDIT... In Alabama, according to the DMV and State Trooper's offices, covering the VIN tag on the dash with an updated windshield which simply does not have the viewable opening correctly positioned is NOT illegal as there are multiple other VIN tag locations on the vehicle. The specific issue is "intent to obstruct the identity of the vehicle" per AL Code Title 13A.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmmmmm... I'll have to check that out since I can park both trucks side-by-side.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
Probably. We stopped short of final verification because of the VIN view window issue. Regardless, if your installer follows the law, he/she cannot legally install the new version unless you relocate your VIN tag, and I'm not sure about the legality of doing that, either.
Yeah, try the DMV inspection after you've removed and refastened the VIN plate....hahahahahaha!

Old 05-20-2015, 02:04 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read in the past that the VIN tag was an avenue for thieves to get a key made for the vehicle in question so a lot of people covered them up. I understand that these days it requires verifiable ownership to get a new key, but I wonder if more information about the vehicle or owner could be obtained that way

Old 05-20-2015, 02:48 PM
F250_
Hotshot
OK.

1) I spoke with the DMV and they tell me that they see this all the time (newer windshield blocking the VIN tag, and it does not create a problem since the VIN is also viewable in multiple other locations on the vehicle.

2) I also spoke with the Alabama State Trooper's office, and the VIN tag does NOT have to be viewable on the dash since there are three other locations on the vehicle where the VIN is tagged and viewable, and this is documented in the Alabama Code of Regulations, Title 13.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALA CODE § 13A-8-22 : Alabama Code - Section 13A-8-22: OBSCURING IDENTITY OF VEHICLE

(a) A person commits the crime of obscuring identity of a vehicle if:

(1) He obscures the manufacturer's serial number or any other distinguishing identification number or mark upon any vehicle or component part thereof, except tires, with intent to render it unidentifiable; or

(2) He possesses a vehicle or component part thereof knowing that the manufacturer's serial number or other identification number or mark has been obscured unless he legally acquired ownership of the vehicle or part before the manufacturer's serial number was obscured or before he knew it was obscured.

(b) "Obscure" means to remove, deface, cover, alter, destroy or otherwise render unidentifiable.

(c) "Vehicle" means any propelled device in, upon or by which any person or property is transported on land, water or in the air, including stationary rails or tracks, and includes motor vehicles, motorboats, vessels and aircraft.

(d) Proof that a person has obscured the manufacturer's serial number or other distinguishing identification number or mark on a vehicle is prima facie evidence that he did so with the intent to render it unidentifiable within the meaning of subdivision (a)(1) of this section.

(e) Possession of a vehicle held for sale in the course of business on which the serial number or other identification number or mark has been obscured is prima facie evidence of knowledge of that fact.

(f) A report by the defendant to the police or other appropriate government agency before arrest is a defense to a charge of violating subdivision (a)(2) of this section. The burden of injecting this issue is on the defendant, but this does not shift the burden of proof.

(g) Obscuring identity of a vehicle is a Class C felony.

(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §3250; Acts 1978, No. 770, p. 1110.)

NOW... since the Safelite guy showed up today with a scuffed glass and cannot do the installation, I have time to get back with my Carlite guy and see if we can verify the fitment issue. If it will fit, I'm going with the SoundScreen!

Old 05-20-2015, 03:35 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Dan V
Yeah, try the DMV inspection after you've removed and refastened the VIN plate....hahahahahaha!
I have, it did not take any longer than the normal verification....and that was in California.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:47 PM
F250_
Hotshot
UPDATE... glass replacement is scheduled for Monday afternoon. The Carlite-dealing glass company is ordering both the standard 2002 windshield AND the 2014 SoundScreen, and will bring both out and verify "fit or not" for the SoundScreen when they get here.

Geico will let me do the deal on my own and then reimburse the out of pocket difference. I chose this route rather than letting the companies fight over paper work since the new glass part number will not match that for my '02.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:00 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

On the edge a my seat!

Would it be possible to do a before and after recording of interior noise?

There are several decibal monitors available in the App Store ( at least one is free)if you have apple products, I'm sure they are available for android as well.

Might as well see this through with some kind of data

Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 PM
F250_
Hotshot
I can try. I have a couple of apps to work with.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Subscribing. Really curios to read what the sound difference is like.

Since the db meters on the app stores seem to leave something to be desired, perhaps a recording from your phone driving down the same stretch of road in the same weather conditions might also be useful?

Old 05-20-2015, 08:47 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

I keep getting a tickle in the back of my brain telling me there was a post a year/maybe a year and a half ago from a guy that had installed a "thicker" windshield. I can't remember if he called it acoustic glass or anything other than "thicker". IIRC he did say it reduced noise and made for a more pleasant experience. I also think he said something about noticing a difference in thermal transmission.....easier to keep the cab cool.

Found it https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1315876-new-windshield.html

Old 05-21-2015, 02:42 AM
jhobbs26
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as i am getting ready to replace my windshield, this post made me happy!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:19 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Is this imported or USA made. Please ask as I am going to replace mine this summer.

Quick Reply: Windshield Upgrade - New Acoustic Glass for our Older Trucks