Lining up a new core support?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lining up a new core support?

Hey guys, I'm replacing the core support in my Ranger. I have the new one sitting in the truck, held in with vise grips. I have it eyeballed pretty good but I'm having trouble with measuring to square it up.

I read somewhere that to line up the core support you were supposed to measure diagonally from the farthest back bold hole on the fender, to a front bolt hole on the core support.

Problem is that on the Ranger, A) there are no bolt holes on the top of the core support, and B) the rearmost bolt holes on the fenders are not the same distance from the firewall.

I can use the corner of the hood bumper openings for a measurement on the core support, but I don't know where to measure to on the truck's body. Complicating the situation is the fact that nothing I can measure to is above the engine, meaning I have to run the tape across the engine and everything stick up off it which I know is throwing off my measurement.

Also, how can I make sure it's also square up & down?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:21 AM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
You are very correct on the diagonal measurement for ensuring straightness......I have no experience with the Ranger's but, you can also use a string and extend that even to the outside of the engine compartment to other components that you can verify are "straight". When all else fails, a level, square based off of known good points sometimes just has to do.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:26 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
I did find out the rear fender bolt holes are the same distance from the firewall, it just doesn't look like they are...it's weird.

I've gotten it to where it's within 1/16-1/8" diagonal but can't seem to get it any better than that. It seems the top of my el-cheapo ebay core support was actually attached about 1/8" off center so maybe that's where my error is coming in.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by ghunt
I did find out the rear fender bolt holes are the same distance from the firewall, it just doesn't look like they are...it's weird.

I've gotten it to where it's within 1/16-1/8" diagonal but can't seem to get it any better than that. It seems the top of my el-cheapo ebay core support was actually attached about 1/8" off center so maybe that's where my error is coming in.
As a former body shop owner I can tell you even factory parts can be slightly off, giving even the pro's fitting issues. Measuring is the best first step, final fit and operation of doors, hoods ect determines what needs adjusted or repositioned.

In a perfect word everything would fit perfectly the first time--sadly body work just ain't perfect.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
As a former body shop owner I can tell you even factory parts can be slightly off, giving even the pro's fitting issues. Measuring is the best first step, final fit and operation of doors, hoods ect determines what needs adjusted or repositioned.

In a perfect word everything would fit perfectly the first time--sadly body work just ain't perfect.
heres your best response, as a former autobody shop owner id say the same. On your ranger do your measurements as you you are BUT!, Bolt both fenders on and the hood and get your body lines correct then you can finish up.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:59 AM
Beechkid
Agree with all the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sometimes you just have to throw out the measuring devices and go by what looks right & works!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:14 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
In the end I kinda did. Got the diagonals close on top, "eyeballed" the bottom and then made sure both sides were the same distance from the front crossmember and welded it it.

I put the fenders back on last night and then test fit the front fascia, and so far everything looks pretty good!

Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 AM
Beechkid
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!