Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

leveling kit questions... (again)

Old 05-19-2015, 05:09 PM
BioHazrdMan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leveling kit questions... (again)

I am finally ready to put a front leveling kit on my truck. Just recently got a killer deal on front and rear Fab Fours Bumpers with a warn 12,000lb winch built in the front. It looks great but think a leveling kit would do wonder... I have read and serched for info... but am still confused. Is all I need something like this?

Ford Superduty 2" Front Lift Shackle Leveling Kit | eBay

Or more $$$ but is it better?

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1367

2.5in Leveling Lift Kit (Springs) for 99-04 Ford 4wd F-250 / F-350 Super Duty | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=3515

I don't want to sacrifice ride quality... already have Bilstein shocks. Want a good quality leveling kit. If $$$ was not a issue what would you get?? Thanks!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,320 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by BioHazrdMan
I don't want to sacrifice ride quality.... If $$$ was not a issue what would you get?? Thanks!
If $$$ was not an issue, then I'd weigh your new to you front bumper with the 12,000 lb. Warn winch, to determine how much weight you are adding ahead of the front axle.

Then, I'd determine what factory front spring code is currently, and find the index to what front axle spring capacity that spring code corresponds to.

Then, I'd add to that number 2x additional weight you've introduced with your new bumper/winch combo. Say for example, your steel bumper with winch (and spooled cable don't forget) weighs 220 lbs... I'd add 440 lbs to your current front spring capacity to arrive at a desired spring capacity WHILE STILL MAINTAINING COMFORT AND RIDE QUALITY.

Finally, I'd look up the Ford factory spring codes that match your newly desired front spring capacity, and order those springs, with new spring eyelet bolts, new Ubolts, and new nuts all the way around to attach them with.

That's what I'd do, if $$$ were not an issue, and ride quality was important.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 PM
BioHazrdMan
Senior User
Awesome thank you I will look into that. The winch is 140lb and the bumper is another 150lb (I am guessing) so I added about 300lb to the front. Will doing all that you suggested actually raise the front end 2 in or so?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,320 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by BioHazrdMan
Awesome thank you I will look into that. The winch is 140lb and the bumper is another 150lb (I am guessing) so I added about 300lb to the front. Will doing all that you suggested actually raise the front end 2 in or so?
Probably not.

To determine the expected ride height increase from installing, for example, "X" code springs on your F-250 Platinum by looking up an 2001 F-350 4x4 with the snow plow prep package in the Ford body builder's manual available for free online, and compare that with the same spec provided for your F-250, and note the difference. I expect about an inch, but I am just guessing.

Before buying parts, I would go the extra mile beyond just guessing. I'd look it up, and I would also weigh the bumper to determine it's exact weight.

Remember, this is only if you want to maintain the same ride quality and handling control that you have now. A lot of people who add lifts and leveling kits don't care as much about ride quality... they want "the look", whatever that is.

You asked what would WE, as each individual reader, do... so I'm just saying what I'd do. I personally think you are onto something smart by considering making adjustments to your front suspension after adding a significant hunk of weight cantilevered over three feet in front of your front axle centerline.

But I personally don't like leveling kits. I think they look odd, and I think they defeat the purpose of a truck, which is to haul and tow things. The minute one adds tongue weight cantilevered 5 to 6 feet behind the rear axle, the nose of the truck with a leveling kit points skyward, reducing steering traction.

By not overdoing your suspension upgrade to accommodate your permanently affixed increase in weight, you will maintain the balance of purpose originally engineered into the truck.

As I recall, the limited edition 2001 Platinum Edition was not available in all states, quite unlike the current Platinum Edition is now. If memory serves, the 2001 Platinum Edition was only made available in Texas and a very limited number of other southern states near Texas, as well as Kentucky. I further remember the Platinum Edition as having lighter duty front springs, for more of a Texas Cadillac type of ride.

If all of that is correct, then it makes perfect sense for you to change your springs out to some snow plow prep package springs, using the weight chart to spring code index for your selection.

I use my truck to haul and tow, not as a daily driver, so the last thing I would want to do is to lift the front end only. In fact, just like you, I added a winch upfront, with a heavy (hidden) steel mounting platform, and the number one reason for adding this winch is for the weight it adds to the steering axle, which like a teeter tooter or see saw naturally wants to unload when significant weight is added to the rear.

The winch serves as a ballast of sorts, but "pulls" (pun intended) it's own weight (and then some, it's a 15K model) as a multi-purpose tool. I have the snow plow prep springs on my truck, so the permanently mounted extra weight was an appropriate match.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 PM
BioHazrdMan
Senior User
Too much good info. Thanks you. I will be looking at my springs and might (probably) be PMing you with more questions. Thanks!