6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

SCT Programmer broke my truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 03:35 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, looking for some ideas, although I think I know the outcome but I have to ask. I had to take my truck in to get a new master key made for it a couple weeks ago, so I returned it to stock. When I got the truck back I reloaded the 87 tow tune and it seemed to load properly ( the only change I made was to the idle speed in gear which I set to 475). When I tried to start the truck it was reluctant to start but eventually did but it shifted really funny for the first few miles then it seemed to shift fine but it felt like it was using the 87 economy shift settings and not the tow tune. So this Saturday I tried to remove the tune for the truck and it came up and said invalid vehicle. So after removing the programmer and starting the truck I got a CEL and when I read the code it was a P1639 code (Vehicle ID Block Corrupted, Not Programmed). Anyone have any advice on this as to how to rectify the situation other than a trip to the dealer for a re flash of the PCM and sending my programmer back to have it reset as it still thinks the truck has a custom tune in it.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:41 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Call sct tech support and start there. They are good guys to work with.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Definitely call SCT - I screwed up my programmer trying to update the firmware in it so I could datalog my SHO. It was working fine up until that point, and I had used it to change tunes for my V10 probably 20-30 times.

Called them, they connected to my laptop over the Internet and reflashed my programmer (X3) and got it straightened out, and then copied my 5-star custom tunes back onto it. Total time, about 20 minutes, including the time it took to send them the first email.

When you brought it in for the master key thing, did they happen to flash your PCM without telling you? If they changed the calibration, that might cause the SCT to do the wrong thing. SCT should be able to help.

Let us know how it works out!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They may have flashed it for an update that it was due for, and didn't even tell ya, call SCT They have seen it before I am sure. They will get it right.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:31 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Thanks for the ideas, I sent SCT an email last night so hopefully I can get this corrected.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:39 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
I eventually called SCT and they called me back about 15 minutes later. In less than an hour they sent an update to my programmer that allowed it to reset the data in the truck and now it works as advertised. I have to give a big shout out to SCT for their support.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:18 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Sweet... With my own dealings with SCT (and 5-star tuning), and other peoples' stories about their support, I can definitely say when it comes time again to do some tuning, they will be the tuner company I go to.

SCT boosted SHO anyone?

Old 05-30-2015, 04:13 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
One other weird thing happened out of this. After I got the truck back to stock and all was working as should be I loaded the 87 tow tune again and sure enough, even though it said the truck had the 87 tow tune in it, it shifted at the normal points as in it would shift into 6th at 40 mph and was very soft shifting like it was still stock or had the 87 economy tune in it. So I returned it to stock again then hooked the programmer up to my computer and deleted all the tunes and restarted it. I then put the custom tune files back in it and reprogrammed the truck again and now it acts like it has the tow tune in it. So I guess all that mess that happened even corrupted the custom tune files. Lesson learned I guess