1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

86 E150 van with standard trans shifting stiffness...clutch or synchros?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:26 PM
peanut butter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 E150 van with standard trans shifting stiffness...clutch or synchros?

Hi guys n gals,
my wonderful old work van has issues. Straight 6 and a 4 speed trans. Clutch pedal needs to be pushed all the way to the floor and the shifting is getting difficult. Reverse is either shut-off-engine-shift-into-reverse-start-again, or grind and jam.
Anyway to tell if my trans is going or it's just the clutch?
Hope one of you can help...
Thanks in advance!

Old 05-19-2015, 02:16 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
adjust the clutch first

Old 05-19-2015, 02:38 PM
peanut butter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vettex2
adjust the clutch first
Thanks but...hydraulic master/slave

Old 05-19-2015, 03:01 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by peanut butter
Hi guys n gals,
my wonderful old work van has issues. Straight 6 and a 4 speed trans. Clutch pedal needs to be pushed all the way to the floor and the shifting is getting difficult. Reverse is either shut-off-engine-shift-into-reverse-start-again, or grind and jam.
Anyway to tell if my trans is going or it's just the clutch?
Hope one of you can help...
Thanks in advance!
Clutch no doubt! Forward gears are helical cut and with sycro's you can get it in, but reverse is straight cut gears, so trying to get into reverse with the main shaft still spinning would be impossible. That's why you have to shot the engine off, stop the input shaft from spinning and in it goes. On the hydraulic clutch, under the dash were the pedal meets the rod and then another lever hooks up to the clutch master, they have plastic bushings on them in those 2 spots if there smashed or even missing you lose a good bit of travel, which could be giving you the problem, make sure those bushings are ok, gotta jam your head under there but as you hit the clutch with your left hand you will see what I am talking about. Does the clutch grap as soon as you start to lift your foot? or do you have room before she engages, could be the pilot bearing binding, I dont know if you have a bearing of a bronze bushing. but if that binds it will give you the same result, input shaft spins cause it's tight in the crankshaft. But if it grabs at the floor and your bushings are good time for a new clutch disk at the least, might as well do it all, machine the flywheel, new pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and pressure plate, vans are easy, plenty of room from top and bottom, take out the driveshaft and slide the trans back a foot and you have room to work. Good luck

Old 05-19-2015, 04:17 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
I'm not familiar with this exact application.
Are you saying there is no rod to adjust on the master cyl. or on the clutch linkage? Or is it a hydraulic throwout bearing ?

And

have you bled it?

Old 05-21-2015, 01:52 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by David7.3
Clutch no doubt! Forward gears are helical cut and with sycro's you can get it in, but reverse is straight cut gears, so trying to get into reverse with the main shaft still spinning would be impossible.
That's not how a manual transmission works. The cut of the gear teeth have nothing whatsoever to do with how it shifts. The gears are meshed at all times, no matter what gear the shifter is engaging, they're all meshed at all times, except for reverse. The syncros are engaged with a slider that moves to engage the blocker rings with the syncro teeth on the gears. The slider is locked to the main shaft (splined to it actually, the gears spin freely on the main shaft. The grinding you hear when a shift is missed is the syncro teeth and the blocker rings getting ground down by the slider. Helical cut gears run quieter, that's the only reason they're cut that way. And also the reason reverse is noisy, due to the straight cut gears.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:56 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
I'm not familiar with this exact application.
Are you saying there is no rod to adjust on the master cyl. or on the clutch linkage? Or is it a hydraulic throwout bearing ?

And

have you bled it?
It's got a hydraulic master cylinder and a slave cylinder inside the bellhousing, there's no adjustment there. When the clutch disc is worn out, it has to be replaced.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:16 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by baddad457
It's got a hydraulic master cylinder and a slave cylinder inside the bellhousing, there's no adjustment there. When the clutch disc is worn out, it has to be replaced.
The slave cylinder should be out side the bellhousing on the manual transmissions unless it's a 5 speed or aftermarket.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:03 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
I've never seen a slave cylinder inside a bellhousing , just hydraulic throwout bearings. Please tell me where you have seen this. I'm curious.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:52 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
I've never seen a slave cylinder inside a bellhousing , just hydraulic throwout bearings. Please tell me where you have seen this. I'm curious.
Now y'all are nitpicking. A hydraulic throwout bearing is a slave cylinder. You have a "master" cylinder and a "slave" cylinder which is the throwout bearing assembly. And yes, it is a doughnut shaped cylinder pushing on the throwout bearing that makes it operate. I know of no other hydraulic devices that are not cylindrical in shape. If there are some out there, please show us what they look like.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:48 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Now y'all are nitpicking. A hydraulic throwout bearing is a slave cylinder. You have a "master" cylinder and a "slave" cylinder which is the throwout bearing assembly. And yes, it is a doughnut shaped cylinder pushing on the throwout bearing that makes it operate. I know of no other hydraulic devices that are not cylindrical in shape. If there are some out there, please show us what they look like.
No. it's not the same whether you think so or not
anyone who is a mechanic knows that

Pictures say it all
I have no need to debate you.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:07 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Pictures say it all

Actually the ones on the 5spds ( inside the bell housing ) are called a "concentric slave cylinder" . I've had the privilege of getting to replace a few of them.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:44 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Pictures say it all
Well, I AM a mechanic so I'll ask myself, "Do they do the same job" ? Yep, so while they may not "look" the same, they Do serve the same function, so in effect they are both "slave" cylinders. You have no need to debate me because you're wrong.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:45 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordman75
Actually the ones on the 5spds ( inside the bell housing ) are called a "concentric slave cylinder" . I've had the privilege of getting to replace a few of them.
I rest my case.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:17 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Talking

Well, I AM a mechanic so I'll ask myself, "Do they do the same job" ? Yep, so while they may not "look" the same, they Do serve the same function, so in effect they are both "slave" cylinders. You have no need to debate me because you're wrong.
using that logic , oil and KY are the same thing

Quick Reply: 86 E150 van with standard trans shifting stiffness...clutch or synchros?