1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Down and out trying to paint the plastic from the instrument cluster

Old 05-19-2015, 12:42 AM
Nicktitan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Down and out trying to paint the plastic from the instrument cluster

About a week ago I ripped into my instrument cluster since I was tired of having to guess how much fuel was in the tank. I ordered a new regulator, found out the circuit board was bueno, and went to restoring all the plastics. The needles came out perfectly, the clear face over the gauges buffed up decent, but the black/silver/chrome plastic body fell all to pieces when I tried to repaint it. Everything bubbled up and some flaked off, long of the short the paint job is ruined and has to be stripped off and redone properly. (Kinda p****d me off and I may or may not have thrown a brush across the shop and stuck it in a poster... )

Anyways, how would a guy go about stripping the rattlecan job off? What paint stripper is safe for plastic? And When I went about restoring it the first time, I didn't bother with plastic primer, I just cleaned it and shot the new color on. Should I add in any more steps??

Old 05-19-2015, 06:21 AM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm pretty sure anything that will dissolve the paint will dissolve the plastic so chemical strippers are out. If the thing isn't mucked up too bad I would go at it with scothbrite and sandpaper. Try to get at the hard to get places first and the high places last.

Most spray paint has pretty powerful solvent in it so that may have been your problem on the first attempt. Also, the "chrome" on those things is pretty delicate stuff, especially after 40 or so years. Try using spray paint formulated for plastic and test it on the back of the cluster.

Or you could just find a used one if you are so inclined.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:09 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
sounds like lacquer over enamel freak out , the two different paints are not compatible . I learned this many years ago building Model cars .
2 options get a used bezel or sand away the freaked out paint . You will need to primer the part after sanding , put a very light coat of primer on first let it dry to touch then put a heavier coat on repeat 3 -4 coats let the primer dry for a day or 2 light sand and paint you shouldn't have any problems

Old 05-19-2015, 09:23 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
All above is correct. Even using enamel paint over enamel paint will cause solvent pop/ freaked out paint.
Sand away or start over with a different piece. Clean with grease and wax remover and lint free towel of wipe with tack cloth.
From here the key is 2 light coats, 2 medium wet coats. Let dry until each coat is finger slick.
Light coats act as a adhesion promoter, 2 medium wet coats to cover.
Finger slick/ on a piece of paper or plastic, apply equal amount of paint as you did to your piece. when you can drag your finger on the paint with out it sticking to you or grabbing your finger, apply the next coat.
Tell us how it turns out

Old 05-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Nicktitan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Coastal68
Also, the "chrome" on those things is pretty delicate stuff, especially after 40 or so years. Try using spray paint formulated for plastic and test it on the back of the cluster.
The prep chemicals I used dissolved that fake chrome no issue, I just had a couple spots that I guess I missed. The plastic paint I used adhered to it very well, but it was weakened by the chem wash and when I pulled the tape off of those sections, the chrome went with. At least now I'm sure all the "chrome" is gone

Originally Posted by Coastal68
Or you could just find a used one if you are so inclined.
I would love to get a new one, or a used on in good shape, but the money situation really doesn't leave any kind of room for that at all.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:34 PM
Nicktitan
Senior User
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
All above is correct. Even using enamel paint over enamel paint will cause solvent pop/ freaked out paint.
Sand away or start over with a different piece. Clean with grease and wax remover and lint free towel of wipe with tack cloth.
From here the key is 2 light coats, 2 medium wet coats. Let dry until each coat is finger slick.
Light coats act as a adhesion promoter, 2 medium wet coats to cover.
Finger slick/ on a piece of paper or plastic, apply equal amount of paint as you did to your piece. when you can drag your finger on the paint with out it sticking to you or grabbing your finger, apply the next coat.
Tell us how it turns out
Thanks for the steps man, I'll go out and sand everything down, re-prep and follow these directions. Only another 12 hours of taping and it'll be done!

Originally Posted by MIKES 68 F100
sounds like lacquer over enamel freak out , the two different paints are not compatible . I learned this many years ago building Model cars .
2 options get a used bezel or sand away the freaked out paint . You will need to primer the part after sanding , put a very light coat of primer on first let it dry to touch then put a heavier coat on repeat 3 -4 coats let the primer dry for a day or 2 light sand and paint you shouldn't have any problems
I never knew that abut lacquer and enamel, and I paint equipment! I'll have to sand off everything that bugged out and start over fresh. I'd love to get a new one or even a different one that I could start fresh on, but the money situation says no.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
My '69 Ranger instrument cluster bezel was very faded when I first bought my truck. The lense was so cloudy that I could barely see the gauges and I didn't even know what the odometer read, at the time I bought the truck.

I got another bezel from a '68 F250 CS. The lense on it was MUCH clearer. The bezel was faded but the plastic was smooth.

I cleaned and then masked the bezel off and sprayed it with Dupli-Color DE1650 Cast Coat Aluminum and Dupli-Color DE1635 Ford Semi Gloss Black spray paint.

This was the first iteration of it. --I didn't paint the "U's" on each end or the gauge division bars or the F-O-R-D letters black the first time.

After I went back and painted these areas black.

....compared to my stock, faded Ranger instrument bezel.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:28 AM
Nicktitan
Senior User
That's a fantastic job man, really what I was shooting for! You painted a couple more things black thank did, but I think I might steal your idea a bit, it looks great.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:22 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
LMC has new lenses and a bezel for that matter. i saved my pennies and went that route after I tried to use chrome vinyl and paint. I also took a steel one and had it chromed. that was pretty cool.

Ultraranger, tell us about your steering wheel with the buttons. That's a first for me.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Nicktitan
Senior User
LMC has new lenses and a bezel for that matter.
Does anywhere sell just the plastic face that I was trying to paint, possibly? Because the rest of it is cherry and doesn't really need replacing if I can help it

Ultraranger, tell us about your steering wheel with the buttons. That's a first for me.
Just noticed that. I second this motion.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The bezel is the plastic face. Several places like Dennis Carpenters and NPD have the reproductions.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:28 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Check LMC. They do sell the lens for like $30 and the bezel or outer shell for ( the Ranger edition) $200 and change. The standard edition is cheaper, to my recollection.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Nicktitan
Senior User
Check LMC. They do sell the lens for like $30 and the bezel or outer shell for ( the Ranger edition) $200 and change. The standard edition is cheaper, to my recollection.
Ouch, damn. I think it'll be cheaper to just spray it, and cheaper is better at this point.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:14 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
The lens...
focus on the lens...
hahaha

Old 05-21-2015, 01:24 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Go LMC last. They buy from others and resell at a higher price for their profit. Get this one from www.dennis-carpenter.com. Then you would have a new one with fresh shiny chrome. They also have one with the 70-72 woodgrain.

Instrument Cluster Bezel
Black & Chrome
1967 - 72

C9TZ-10876-A
0 Star

<!-- review-summary -->

$124.95
<!-- price -->

<form name="CatalogQuickOrder_C9TZ-10876-A" method="post"><input name="formName" type="hidden" value="dmiformCatalogQuickOrder"> <input name="ProductNumber" type="hidden" value="C9TZ-10876-A">

<button class="btn btn-dcar btn-small" type="submit">Buy Now</button>

</form>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Down and out trying to paint the plastic from the instrument cluster