6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Filters at dealer vs buying online

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 PM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filters at dealer vs buying online

I've searched all over this forum for info but have come up short of answers. If it's right in front of my face I apologize lol

For those of us who have the dealer perform all scheduled maintenance... Do you guys buy your filters elsewhere (air, oil, fuel) and take to dealer or do you purchase through the dealer at the time of your service?

I'm going to have the dealer change both fuel filters and the air filter. Just not sure if it's cost effective to purchase online and then take to dealer.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:23 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
I do all my own maintenance and buy my filters online however, my bet is that it would be cheaper to buy them online and bring them to the dealer. As you know the dealer makes money off everything it does.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:44 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do all my own but will a dealer do the work if you bring the parts? Part of their profit is the part mark up...I really dont know the answer thats why I ask.Would the dealer then charge more something else? To make up part money.If im buying parts I do it myself just seems like the right thing to do...If you bring to dealer for maintenance items then money isnt a huge issue because your getting raped by them anyways so just buy the parts from them too.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
You can buy the oil filter at Wal-mart. (motorcraft).

Old 05-19-2015, 05:33 AM
brightideaselectric
Senior User
I normally do all of my own maintenance but last Friday I was taking the truck to the dealer for the latest update and warranty work on back up sensors so I figured I would have them change the oil, filter, fuel filters, rotate tires and replace coolant. I supplied oil, oil filter and fuel filters. They charged $8 for oil change, $12 to rotate tires and $76 to change fuel filters. Anyone that has changed the fuel filters knows this is a fifteen minute job at most. This is where I would say they tried making up some lost parts money.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:34 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by brightideaselectric
I normally do all of my own maintenance but last Friday I was taking the truck to the dealer for the latest update and warranty work on back up sensors so I figured I would have them change the oil, filter, fuel filters, rotate tires and replace coolant. I supplied oil, oil filter and fuel filters. They charged $8 for oil change, $12 to rotate tires and $76 to change fuel filters. Anyone that has changed the fuel filters knows this is a fifteen minute job at most. This is where I would say they tried making up some lost parts money.
Good to know. That's the info I was looking for.

I appreciate the feedback.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:37 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
You can buy the oil filter at Wal-mart. (motorcraft).
Thank You. That's good to know although I haven't stepped foot in a Wal-mart in years. lol

I will give them a try 👍

Old 05-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Glittle
Senior User
I can tell you that the fuel filter kit alone at the dealer is $90. Online, they are $51.99 ea. I can buy 2 fuel filter kits with 2 air filters (both Motorcraft) for $150 delivered to my doorstep.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the time I perform my own maintenance - however - when I do choose to take my vehicles to the dealer, I buy my parts and supplies from them.
This is all about relationship building and getting return support from my dealer when I need them. I do that by helping put shoes on their kids feet...

When was the last time you walked into a restaurant and handed them 3 eggs and a couple slices of bread and asked for toast and over-easy?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:24 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Most of the time I perform my own maintenance - however - when I do choose to take my vehicles to the dealer, I buy my parts and supplies from them. This is all about relationship building and getting return support from my dealer when I need them. I do that by helping put shoes on their kids feet... When was the last time you walked into a restaurant and handed them 3 eggs and a couple slices of bread and asked for toast and over-easy?

Honestly I don't have an issue paying more at the stealership. They have a building and a ton of other overhead to pay for. My original post was just a thought and an opportunity to broaden my options.

I had a large warranty issue on my previous F350.

At the time, I was using a different stealership that decided to hold up the warranty process a few extra weeks because they questioned past service that I had done myself.

Ordinarily this wouldn't be much of an issue but at the time, my truck, was a tool to make an income. Ultimately all warranty work was performed but that extra time cost me a small fortune with my business.

Ever since that experience I decided that I would have all service completed by them. There would be no question if I experienced something similar. It's the difference between price & cost. What did I really save by doing my own services back then? The dealer, ethically, was in the wrong. But that didn't matter at the time.

Everyone has their own approach to how best manage their vehicle maintenance. There isn't a right or wrong answer. Had I not had the experience I did I would certainly be doing my own service. I have since changed dealerships and have a great relationship with them. I'm on my 7th Ford with them.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:25 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Originally Posted by Glittle
I can tell you that the fuel filter kit alone at the dealer is $90. Online, they are $51.99 ea. I can buy 2 fuel filter kits with 2 air filters (both Motorcraft) for $150 delivered to my doorstep.
Got a link?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:44 AM
Glittle
Senior User
Originally Posted by rivrrts429
Honestly I don't have an issue paying more at the stealership. They have a building and a ton of other overhead to pay for. My original post was just a thought and an opportunity to broaden my options.

I had a large warranty issue on my previous F350.

At the time, I was using a different stealership that decided to hold up the warranty process a few extra weeks because they questioned past service that I had done myself.

Ordinarily this wouldn't be much of an issue but at the time, my truck, was a tool to make an income. Ultimately all warranty work was performed but that extra time cost me a small fortune with my business.

Ever since that experience I decided that I would have all service completed by them. There would be no question if I experienced something similar. It's the difference between price & cost. What did I really save by doing my own services back then? The dealer, ethically, was in the wrong. But that didn't matter at the time.

Everyone has their own approach to how best manage their vehicle maintenance. There isn't a right or wrong answer. Had I not had the experience I did I would certainly be doing my own service. I have since changed dealerships and have a great relationship with them. I'm on my 7th Ford with them.
If I hadn't lost faith in my local dealership diesel techs, I might do the same. I couldn't even get the same oil each of the first three oil changes. I would specifically request the oil I wanted at the service advisor and after it was changed, I would always get some sort of run-around for why they didn't have it or oops, he put the wrong oil in. And when I asked to speak with the tech, they walked me out to the service bay and I had to tell him myself what oil I wanted as he was pouring in the incorrect oil. They broke my fuel filter housing (not the nut on the bottom, they cracked it at the top where the stop is by overtightening it) and didn't fix it nor tell me. This led to a desperate search on a Saturday afternoon to find a replacement filter housing when all the dealers closed at 2/3 pm. I also requested a quote for a new set of tires twice approximately 8 months ago and still haven't received a quote. I asked about the coolant tests for the first 2 reminders and was told both times "just reset the reminder, it will be fine. That's what we do." Of course, I ended up purchasing the test kits and doing myself regardless.

When I do need Ford service, I have found a different service department that I am beginning to trust. They have replaced my failed water pump at 44,000 miles under powertrain warranty and will probably get more of my business.

I change my own fuel filters and air filters. With oil changes, I save a ton of money and buy my own oil. I take my oil to the dealer, purchase a filter from them and let them perform the oil change. All the while, I use a dealer now that I can see into the service shop from a waiting area too.

Okay, rant over.

Diesel Filters Online is where I purchase from:
Dieselfiltersonline.com your source for all your diesel trucks parts needs

Old 05-20-2015, 04:02 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rivrrts429
Got a link?
Yep. Here it is. [FD-4615]Ford 6.7 L Turbo Diesel fuel/water filter kit.(FD4615)

From www.dieselfiltersonline.com

Old 05-20-2015, 04:23 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have to agree with Randy on this one. I usually do my own maintenance, however, if for any reason I do have to take it to the dealer I let them reap the profit. They have been good to me over the years when it comes to warranty work and have never questioned me on home performed maint. I do keep receipts, records and go to MyFord online and update the maintenance log there.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:17 PM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Thanks for the info everybody.

I've decided that I'll let the dealer take the profit. They've done me well this far and, in theory, it should translate to a good relationship moving forward.