Sponsored by:

transmission (?) shudders, load / speed related

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Swit
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question transmission (?) shudders, load / speed related

I'm not so sure that this behavior is related to a couple of current threads currently active, but would seem to be on the surface.

94 351 XLT Bronco
E4OD
Trans fluid replaced 900 miles ago, no effect on symptoms.

Primary problem:
Intermittant 'shudders', noteable jolt or series of jolts, occur in single or series under moderate load.

- ~ 40 mph on a level road, OD engaged, just above shift point into OD all is well.
- As the road rises slightly vehicle drops out of OD if throttle isn't added.. as you'd expect as the speed drops under the shift point for OD.
- If throttle is added to hold speed, the shudder becomes apparent. I'd expect a simple downshift if speed, load and power are right at the OD shift points, but not a series of shudders ... as if the trans was rapidly shifting from OD to 3rd and back.

- Also occurs at highway speed (70-ish) as roads get steeper and trottle is added.
- Switching the E4OD "off" alleviates the shudder as rpm is kicked up into the 2500 + range.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Is it related to other threads currently active regarding transmissions??

TIA

Swit

Old 07-28-2003, 03:22 PM
'92BigBronco
Junior User

I was having a similar problem with my '92. The problems you're describing are pretty much identical. I thought it was the torque converter or a tranny problem but after pulling codes and a little troubleshooting, I found out it was the fuel filter.

I guess the lack of fuel was causing the "shuddering." Shuddering could be caused by a lot of different things but a simple and relatively cheap thing like a fuel filter is a good place to start.

Old 07-28-2003, 04:47 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Swit
Question for you.
When it starts shuddering does the tach needle kinda bounce around like it's trying to find the right rpm setting?

If it does, it sounds like you might have the same problem as my rig. Although I can cruise at about 85mph as long as the tranny is in overdrive. But when I flip the switch to get out of overdrive, at that same speed, it starts that shuddering. When engine is cold I can't notice it. I could floor it with no problems until it warm up, then it starts.

This problem that I'm having pretty much started all of a sudden. I drive offroad all day long with no problems at all. Until I start going home. I get back on highway and I'm half way home and the engine cuts out & dies. after scratching my head for 5 min. it started right up. But then about 30 miles later going 75 engine dies agian in center divider. Couldn't get it startes at this point at all. Had to be towed home.

I have had to replace just about every thing; Fuel pump & filter, distributer, MAP sensor, fuel regulatorand a few other items. still having this problem. The one thing that I haven't replaced is computer and TPS sensor. I will be replaceing TPS sensor soon.

One last resort that is rather expensive, that I am about install into my rig, is a Mass Air Flow conversion kit. And I'm hopeing that this this will solve my problem.

But, basically before you start replacing parts, consider pulling the codes. Your problem could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter or a bad fuel pump. Even the MAP sensor or the TPS sensor could be giving out false signals.

If this Mass Air Flow conversion kit works I will be posting the results. And I will also add pictures to my gallery.

Hope this helps
and sorry for being long winded

Old 07-30-2003, 06:00 PM
battered_bronco
Elder User

well i have a 79 bronco c-6 and may i ad i friggin hate automatic the drive i way too complicated mechanically
kinda had to rev it a bit first auto(figure on towing at some point) some time more that others and she suttered b-tween gears tended not to shift under loads like starting up a hill

2 days after i ordered a new hd model she goes out throwing the eng/tranny out of balance and stalling if try to move
and maybe sending metal from the torque conv thru the tranny

Old 07-30-2003, 09:43 PM
BroncoDave
Freshman User

Given your detailed description of speed/load conditions, it sounds more to me like T/C chatter. This occurs when the E4OD is commanding the T/C lock-up clutch to engage, but the clutch is slipping. Obviously, there are some other opinions here, but you can check to see if this is your problem rather easily.

Drive at the speed/load necessary to initiate the shuddering; keep your right foot on the throttle to maintain the undesireable condition and tap the brake pedal with your left foot. When you hit the brake, the E4OD releases the lock-up clutch. If the shuddering stops when you hit the brake, it's the torque converter clutch.

I'm getting ready to o/h my E4OD in my Bronco @ 113K and replace the converter. Torque Converter Chatter is one of my issues...

Good Luck, and for your sake I hope it's not the converter!

Old 07-31-2003, 08:25 AM
diggum73
New User

I am with Bronco Dave on this one. I have a 96 351 97K miles and just 2 weeks ago i had to replace the T/C. All the exact same symptoms as you. Look around you can find some good deals on replacement of them. Ford wanted to charge me 1300 to do it i was able to find a great tranny guy that did it fro 525.00. Problem solved. Good luck!