Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Optima 6v battery completely dead 2 months old

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Postmaster

Harrier is a splendid one to beholdHarrier is a splendid one to beholdHarrier is a splendid one to beholdHarrier is a splendid one to beholdHarrier is a splendid one to beholdHarrier is a splendid one to behold
Optima 6v battery completely dead 2 months old

Hey gang,
I went out to test my fuel sending unit this morning. I grabbed my 6v Optima which was on the shelf. I hooked everything up and nothing. Well, I got my meter out and it read 0.11 volts, yes I typed that correctly. I checked my meter on my 12v battery and it read just fine. So, I grabbed my battery charger and no sign of charging. (Works fine on my 12v) Went out and stole my father in laws higher quality charger and it is not charging either.

So, what are my options?
I read online to charge in parallel with another battery, but I don't have another 6v.

I have contacted Optima support via email. I will try calling them on Monday. But I figured you guys probably know as much or more than the support crew at Optima.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Postmaster

HT32BSX115 has a good reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a good reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Hey gang,
I went out to test my fuel sending unit this morning. I grabbed my 6v Optima which was on the shelf. I hooked everything up and nothing. Well, I got my meter out and it read 0.11 volts, yes I typed that correctly. I checked my meter on my 12v battery and it read just fine. So, I grabbed my battery charger and no sign of charging. (Works fine on my 12v) Went out and stole my father in laws higher quality charger and it is not charging either.

So, what are my options?
I read online to charge in parallel with another battery, but I don't have another 6v.

I have contacted Optima support via email. I will try calling them on Monday. But I figured you guys probably know as much or more than the support crew at Optima.
Howdy,

Only 2 months old, I would take it back to whomever you bought it from and have them give you another one. If you bought it mail order, you're just going to have to deal with whomever shipped it.

Autozone/Oreillys/Napa will usually just swap it out if it's only been 2 months...... I have one of those Optima batteries I bought from Oreillys in 2009. It's been on an auto-start generator on our community well ever since......It just works.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 PM
Flattie39

flattie39 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Harrier- Gel Cell batteries like the Optima require a special charger. If the voltage drops below 11V the wet cell chargers won't do it. But I don't know if even a gel cell charger will bring your battery (0.11V) back to life or not. I keep my 12V shop Optima on a tender when I'm not using it. Ken
Old 05-17-2015, 09:00 PM
Just another Joe

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
According to Optima, you don't need a special charger unless, as in this case, the battery is deeply discharged.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 05-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a splendid one to beholdHarrier is a splendid one to beholdHarrier is a splendid one to beholdHarrier is a splendid one to beholdHarrier is a splendid one to beholdHarrier is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Joe, that was informative.
I put mine on a charger for agm batteries for a couple of hours and nothing. I don't have a spare 6v battery, so that's out.

It just baffles me that a new battery would discharge so completely so quickly. I'm guessing it was a defective one. Just my luck, but at least it should be covered under warranty. It would be nice if I could take it to the local O'Reillys to exchange even though I didn't buy it there. We will see what they say when I call Optima tomorrow.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:17 PM
Postmaster

Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I've had two 55 Fairlanes on the 6-volt Optima batteries. No problems. I leave them for 2-3 weeks at a time and they start right up! It must have been a dud. Let us know if they can figure out what's wrong with it. Jag
55 Crown Victoria
Old 05-18-2015, 09:55 PM
Junior User

91Fbody is starting off with a positive reputation.
.11 volts definitely seems like there is a problem.

If you have a "smart" charger, most(all?) won't even begin to charge if it doesn't see enough voltage. Get an old "dumb" charger and put a surface charge on it. OR, some chargers have a bypass method that will cause the charger to send amps even if it doesn't see enough voltage from a battery. Use that to get a surface charge, then try to charge regularly. Also, is the charger both a 6v/12v charger?

Having said all that, if it's 2 months old, take it back.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Shouldn't fail after 2 months. I had an Optima that went low, really low. It was out of warranty. I called Optima and was told to "jump" charge it in parallel. Luckily, I had another Optima that was good. I used a Battery Tender Jr. trickle charger. Hooked the trickle charger to the good battery and then used regular jump cables between the good battery and the dead battery. The dead battery was fully charged in about a day.

I now have 5 Optima 6v batteries that I keep on a trickle charger. Two batteries are installed in the cars and have a dedicated trickle charger. The other three batteries are alternating on the trickle charger.

I bought the trickle charger on Amazon. I recommend the Battery Tender Jr.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-19-2015, 12:26 AM
Junior User

PHXHawk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hal Nelson
Not an expert, but for what it's worth, I have heard that batteries stored too long before being sold can be weak when finally bought. They supposedly have a code telling the manufacture date on them, and I have heard people say that they always insist on the newest one in the store.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:04 PM
Postmaster

Well, I called Optima and they directed me to Amazon to handle the warranty. I chatted with Amazon and they started to send me to Optima until I said I already spoke with them. After that Amazon quickly processed a replacement for my battery. They aren't even wanting the bad one back. I will probably go ahead and try the process to restore a deeply discharged battery. Since this one discharged so completely so quickly, I'm pretty sure it is just bad.

I chatted with Amazon just before noon and the new battery is scheduled to be delivered this Friday. Man that's fast. Hopefully this new one is better. I need to go ahead and get the battery tender.

Optima replied to my email as well, sending me to Amazon and giving instructions to recharge deeply discharged batteries. It's a generic email since it talks 12V but is good info. Basically a written version of the video Joe posted.

We frequently hear from folks who have had trouble recharging their batteries, once they have been deeply-discharged (often well below 10 volts). The good news is that OPTIMA batteries are far more resilient to this type of deep-discharge than traditional flooded batteries, which can often be ruined after such an incident. The bad news is, not every charger is capable of recharging a deeply-discharged battery, whether it is an OPTIMA battery or any other brand.

Many battery chargers have very basic and outdated charging parameters that prevent them from delivering current to any battery, if it doesn't register above a minimum voltage level, typically around 10.5 volts. Likewise, any load test performed on a deeply-discharged battery will result in a failed test, even if the battery subsequently works fine and functions normally once it is properly-recharged.

To recover a battery using one of these older technology chargers, you can wire a second, fully-charged automotive battery (12V+) to the deeply-discharged battery in parallel (+ to + and – to –). Then hook up the charger to the deeply-discharged battery, setting the charger at 10 amps. Charge for 2 hours, monitoring frequently. When the deeply-discharged battery reaches 10.5 volts or more, remove the second battery and continue charging the deeply-discharged battery until fully recharged- about 12.6-12.8 volts for REDTOP batteries (and the 34M BLUETOP) and about 13.0-13.2 volts for BLUETOP & YELLOWTOP batteries (except the 34M BLUETOP).

Typically we recommend charging at a relatively low current, such as 2 amps, but when the battery has been deeply-discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. If you charge at a higher rate (up to 10 amps), the higher current will help to break up this sulfation. If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manual charger, estimate charging time by multiplying the capacity (amp hours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2 for a rough estimate of charging time in hours.

In most cases these steps will recover a deeply-discharged battery. It’s okay for the deeply-discharged battery to get slightly warm during the charging process, but hot to the touch means there’s a short and the process should be discontinued.

Thank you,
Regina
Optima Customer Service
Old 05-19-2015, 05:19 PM
Just another Joe

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Amazon quickly processed a replacement for my battery. They aren't even wanting the bad one back. I will probably go ahead and try the process to restore a deeply discharged battery. Since this one discharged so completely so quickly, I'm pretty sure it is just bad.
So, since you should have a good Optima 6 volt on Friday, you can use that in parallel to see if you can charge the 2 month old battery.

And then you'll have an extra battery to use in your next project!

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 05-19-2015, 06:08 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
So, since you should have a good Optima 6 volt on Friday, you can use that in parallel to see if you can charge the 2 month old battery.

And then you'll have an extra battery to use in your next project!
Exactly, but at my rate of progress, my next project will be in 20 years.
Although, in 3 years, my oldest will be out of college, my middle will be in college and my youngest daughter will be 13 and have nothing to do with me for about 2 years.....
Old 05-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Buy two 6v Battery Tender Jr and use on each battery.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Postmaster

Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Why not store them together and hook in parallel with only one battery tender attached? Jag
55 Crown Victoria
Old 05-20-2015, 12:14 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54 View Post
Why not store them together and hook in parallel with only one battery tender attached? Jag
The good battery may just get drawn down to a non-useful voltage by the dead battery, with only a Tender connected. Once the bad battery is brought up to 5.25 volts or whatever, that might work. Tenders only maintain, they don't "charge".
Old 05-20-2015, 12:14 PM