1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Starting on my 67

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:18 PM
broncohog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraranger
'Bumpside' is in reference to the F-series trucks produced from 1967-1972.

'Dentside' is in reference to the trucks from 1973-1979.

....it's in reference to the contour running down the belt line on the side of the truck. On '67-'72, the contour sticks outward (convex), like a bump.

On the '73-'79 models, this contour is concave like a dent.
Makes perfect sense now. Thanks

Old 06-17-2015, 09:23 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The lug pattern on the CV front rotors is 5-on-4.5".

Do you still have your stock rear end with its 5-on-5.5" lug pattern?

Old 06-18-2015, 06:00 AM
broncohog
Junior User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
The lug pattern on the CV front rotors is 5-on-4.5".

Do you still have your stock rear end with its 5-on-5.5" lug pattern?
Yes but have adapters for rear so I have 5-4.5 all the way around now.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:06 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
WOW, You are doing an awesome job on an awesome truck

Old 06-18-2015, 01:08 PM
broncohog
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford_pickup
WOE, You are doing an awesome job on an awesome truck
Thanks, it's been fun so far.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:51 AM
prsman09
New User

Man this is sweet! You and I are basically on the same track (minus the whole engine swap though.) Here's how mine sits at the moment. I've got my CV front fitted and gotta weld it up. Then the back I plan on doing the adapters for the rear to be the same bolt pattern and also the axle flip. You think that a notch will have to be done so that the frame doesn't hit the axle now that it's flipped??? I also cut the brake lines and power steering lines on my front end too. You just gonna get new lines made? I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do for a power steering solution. Got the new mustang GT wheels for it too!

Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 AM
broncohog
Junior User
Originally Posted by prsman09

Man this is sweet! You and I are basically on the same track (minus the whole engine swap though.) Here's how mine sits at the moment. I've got my CV front fitted and gotta weld it up. Then the back I plan on doing the adapters for the rear to be the same bolt pattern and also the axle flip. You think that a notch will have to be done so that the frame doesn't hit the axle now that it's flipped??? I also cut the brake lines and power steering lines on my front end too. You just gonna get new lines made? I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do for a power steering solution. Got the new mustang GT wheels for it too!
Yes on the wheels, got to find auto steering column. That's a tough one so far.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:14 PM
prsman09
New User
Originally Posted by broncohog
Yes on the wheels, got to find auto steering column. That's a tough one so far.
Thanks bud! Yea, I'm actually thinking about getting the u-joints and shafts needed to try and make my manual column mate up with the CV one. I also took off the CV power steering pump just in case I could somehow make it work down the road. But I don't see that happening really. It was free with the front end at the salvage yard, so I didn't complain. Ha

Old 06-27-2015, 08:24 PM
broncohog
Junior User
Originally Posted by prsman09
Thanks bud! Yea, I'm actually thinking about getting the u-joints and shafts needed to try and make my manual column mate up with the CV one. I also took off the CV power steering pump just in case I could somehow make it

work down the road. But I don't see that happening really. It was free with the front end at the salvage yard, so I didn't complain. Ha
I don't think a "C" notch will be nessasary unless you plan on hauling heavy items. I have about 6" from bump stop to axle.

20's mocked up

Old 06-27-2015, 10:07 PM
prsman09
New User
I don't think a "C" notch will be nessasary unless you plan on hauling heavy items. I have about 6" from bump stop to axle.

20's mocked up
Nice!!! I hope I can get away without it for the time being. Them 20's look fat! I dig it. Lol

Old 06-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work bronco! Subscribed.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:20 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice progress. About how long did it take to go from twin I beams to having the CV mounted?

Old 06-28-2015, 04:32 PM
broncohog
Junior User
Originally Posted by blue04.5
Nice progress. About how long did it take to go from twin I beams to having the CV mounted?
If you have a good torch set and angle grinder with some 60 grit flapper discs it will make it a lot less painful. It took me about 2 hours to cut out the "K" member and grind the leftovers off. Setting the CV front end wasn't bad at all. You'll have to drill a locator hole in your frame for the dowel pins on the CV unit. Some guys are putting heavy wall pipe through the frame for the long bolts. I chose to use the heavy wall pipe inside the frame and box it then machined an aluminum plate to fill the 1/2" gap you will have between the CV unit and truck frame. I think I have pictures of that on here. Long story short you shouldn't have a problem doing it in a weekend. Also I stripped mine to the frame so that makes it easier too. Don't have any idea how long it would take if you're doing it on a complete truck. Hope this helps. I have photos of my process if you want them.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:37 PM
broncohog
Junior User
If you have a good torch set and angle grinder with some 60 grit flapper discs it will make it a lot less painful. It took me about 2 hours to cut out the "K" member and grind the leftovers off. Setting the CV front end wasn't bad at all. You'll have to drill a locator hole in your frame for the dowel pins on the CV unit. Some guys are putting heavy wall pipe through the frame for the long bolts. I chose to use the heavy wall pipe inside the frame and box it then machined an aluminum plate to fill the 1/2" gap you will have between the CV unit and truck frame. I think I have pictures of that on here. Long story short you shouldn't have a problem doing it in a weekend. Also I stripped mine to the frame so that makes it easier too. Don't have any idea how long it would take if you're doing it on a complete truck. Hope this helps. I have photos of my process if you want them.

I found this online and double checked before drilling and it's a good diagram. Makes things a lot easier.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:28 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks bronco, and good luck on the rest of your project.

Quick Reply: Starting on my 67