2013 F150 terrible paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 04:56 AM
ktm300xc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 F150 terrible paint

Good day all,
I am a new member on this forum and the reason for me joining is a promise to Ford and their "customer service".

My 13 tan eco boost F150 has had more than it's series of issues but the paint is by far the worst of all. I have paint being removed on the inside of the doors and the dreaded rust spots around the entire truck. Ford gave my truck 3 acid baths and one clay bar treatment and the problem is still here. As a matter of fact once I picked the truck up from it's clay bar treatment I quickly pulled out my camera to take over 150 photos of the rust that was imagine that still there. The customer service is absolutely a joke and the false sense that they will do what is right is absolutely wrong. The rust is under the clear coat and not removed with the clay bar. All I can say if I beat my truck I would expect to have this type of look, shoot my truck is babied beyond belief. Even though I do not know any of you I have a conscience and I feel as though someone should tell old owners and new potential owners about what they are getting into. How can they be number 1 with this type of service???

Old 05-16-2015, 04:25 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
like to see those pictures perhaps you could post some on here

Old 05-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So you're saying that the clear coat is still in tact and its rusting from under? Did you buy this truck new or pre-owned? It sounds like there was a poorly prepped respray. It also sounds like most of your issues are with your local dealership, not Ford. Also, who has a camera anymore?

Old 05-17-2015, 05:16 AM
ktm300xc
New User
Yes the clear coat is still intact. I made the jump to Ford customer service I did not feel I was getting satisfaction with the dealer. Customer service are the ones telling me they will not do anything else and I am now on my own, really we pay 40+ grand for this type of service just terrible. I could work at getting the pictures listed here but there are so many I just don't know how long this would take. I was told there is an issue with something called "rail dust" this matched what is wrong with my truck, I heard this from more than 3 different unrelated people that are in Ford.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:45 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Try some "Iron-X", it's supposed to work good on rail dust. You'll probably have to look online. I don't think it's sold locally.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:57 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Based on the description, it does not sound like rail dust to me - if we are talking about the same thing.

when my 2010 was brand new i was working on a bridge over a rail switching station. i couldn't figure out why the paint always 1,000 grit wet/dry even after a hand wash.

I finally tried a clay bar and that made the paint silky smooth again, but less than a week later the paint felt like 1,000 grit sandpaper again.

finally figured out it was the dust coming off the rail road. so i just quit worrying about it until i was done with that job and hit it with the clay bar afterward. paint has never had that feeling again (never worked over a railroad since, either).

if was just rail dust, a clay bar will get it off post-hast.

from the description, you have a failure beneath the paint. If it's rust, ford's corrosion warranty can help you out, but only if the metal is perforated ... which, quite frankly, isn't going to happen within the warranty period. I sounds like you need some help convincing ford's customer service department to do the right thing.

our resident Ford Customer Service agent might be able to help you out by escalating your case to the regional manager's level. As soon as you have permission to send Private Messages, shoot Crystal a PM and see if she can help. Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: FordService

in the mean time, get on the boards and share some knowledge to get your post count up so your PM privileges are active.

let us know how this is going!
and we all love truck pics, so post some up!

Old 05-17-2015, 09:51 AM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,361 Likes on 1,707 Posts
I had rail dust on a new white F150 that I bought a few years ago. I brought it back to the dealer and they sent it to a detailer who used the clay bar. It removed all of it and I never had that issue again. Your issue definitely doesn't sound like rail dust.

i had a serious issue with the truck I had before this one a few years ago. I kept going up the chain of command with a Ford service and they eventually did the right thing. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:46 AM
ktm300xc
New User
I the part that is the worst changing vehicles now isn't a good thing, someone else would get this problem without knowing. I was told the rail dust happened when it was transported from the factory to the distribution location. I don't live or work anywhere near a railroad location, I just simply drive across the tracks every now and then. I will try the Iron X to hopefully remove the problem. I would love to talk with another service manager I bet that could be interesting. Plus the trips back and fourth to the dealership at 60 mile each time gets very old.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ktm300xc
I the part that is the worst changing vehicles now isn't a good thing, someone else would get this problem without knowing. I was told the rail dust happened when it was transported from the factory to the distribution location. I don't live or work anywhere near a railroad location, I just simply drive across the tracks every now and then. I will try the Iron X to hopefully remove the problem. I would love to talk with another service manager I bet that could be interesting. Plus the trips back and fourth to the dealership at 60 mile each time gets very old.
Welcome to the forum, ktm300xc. I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep on this site; I'd like to see what I can do to help out with your paint concern. What's the truck's current mileage?

Crystal

Old 05-18-2015, 11:33 AM
ktm300xc
New User
Hello Crystal, my current mileage is now right in the 37,000 range. This problem was visible and documented when the truck had less than 7,000 miles on it. I believe that was one of the times it was painted to address paint issues. Do you have any other questions that you would like me to answer?

Old 05-18-2015, 03:41 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ktm300xc
Hello Crystal, my current mileage is now right in the 37,000 range. This problem was visible and documented when the truck had less than 7,000 miles on it. I believe that was one of the times it was painted to address paint issues. Do you have any other questions that you would like me to answer?
Thanks for the response, ktm300xc! I'd like to get this escalated to your regional customer service manager so they can look into this further. Since you're a new member, you may have not have PM access yet. If that's the case, send your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership to custserv@ford.com. Please put my name (Crystal) in the subject line so I'll be able to find your message. I don't monitor this email address, so let me know when you send the email and I'll go and check.

Crystal

Old 05-18-2015, 05:47 PM
ktm300xc
New User
Hello Crystal, I just sent over the email to you. Please let me know if there is anything else that may need from me?

Thank you

Old 05-18-2015, 09:09 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
ktm300xc, when you can, post some pics of what the spots you're referring to look like. It's not the first time a paint issue has happened from Ford that I've seen, and I'm sure it won't be the last. As they say, it happens.
Sometimes the dealerships will purposely give you the runaround, as to not have to deal with the problem. And then as soon as your warranty is up, they'll suddenly come up with a solution. I've seen it myself, and hope Ford does the right thing for you.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 AM
greenarcher
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second on posting pics! Would like to see differences with rail dust.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:04 AM
ktm300xc
New User
I'm in the process uploading these photos right now to this website. I'm only grabbing about a 6th of the pictures that I took the day my truck came home. The funny part is if I were to take more pictures right this moment there would be even more spots and they would be more pronounced from the day these photos were taken. As soon as these pics are uploaded I will try and make them visible for people to see.

Quick Reply: 2013 F150 terrible paint