1993 E350 Econoline Cruise vs Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:44 PM
mikeinri
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 E350 Econoline Cruise vs Lights?

Hey guys,

I have a 1993 E350 Econoline-based RV, with some weird electrical symptoms...

Cruise doesn't work. Brake lights, hazards and turn signals work fine on the exterior. The right green dash arrow does not work (for either right turn or hazards).

I replaced the flasher under the dash (easiest part to reach), no change.

I've noticed that there is some goop on the hazard switch (probably electrical grease). My wife had a Pontiac with odd symptoms with turn signals, I was able to clean the multifunction switch up and solved that problem. Looking at vids on YouTube, these Ford switches seem to be closed. Can they be opened for cleaning?

Could this be as simple as a bad bulb in the dash?

I've had the recall repair done for the cruise a few years ago.

Thanks.

Mike

Old 05-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Yes it could be a bad bulb in the dash. All the exterior lights are working normal, so that tells me there is nothing wrong with your system. The dash indicators are just spliced into the wires going to the front left and right signals. If the front turns in the grille are working, the problem is in the dash.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:25 PM
mikeinri
Tuned
The plot thickens...

OK, on the way home tonight, I noticed that when the high beams were on, I didn't get the blue indicator light on the dash. Great, another dash bulb to replace, right?

Well, right before I got home, the high beam indicator light on the dash started working again, as well as the right turn signal indicator (green light).

So, I think all my dash bulbs (and exterior bulbs) are fine, and my problem must be in the multifunction switch.

I was on side roads when I discovered this, so I'm not sure if the cruise is working or not...

Mike

Old 05-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Franklin2
I say no on the mulit-function switch. As long as the exterior bulbs are working, it's working. Like I said, the dash indicator is just a wire tapped off the front lights. Same with the blue high beam indicator. It's just a wire tapped off the one going out to the high beams. Sounds like you just have dirty connections in the cluster.

I bet all you have to do is pull the cluster, pull all the bulbs and connectors, take a pencil eraser and shine up the traces on the board and pull each bulb out of it's socket about 5 times, and it wil all work from then on. Done this several times on old trucks I have had. It's rare that the bulb is actually burnt out. I may find one once in awhile.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:49 PM
mikeinri
Tuned
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I still think the multifunction switch is also dirty, as evidenced by the grease showing on the hazard light button. Had a very similar problem on another car (as mentioned above). When I get some time, I'll try to clean both areas.

Mike

Old 06-05-2015, 09:25 PM
mikeinri
Tuned
No update yet, was broadsided by a brake job. Hope to take a look at this over the weekend, but the brakes are the priority.

Mike

Old 06-06-2015, 09:37 AM
mikeinri
Tuned
BTW, is there a way to change the title of this thread? This is actually a 1993 model year according to Ford parts when I entered the VIN (was built in late 92).

Mike

Old 06-21-2015, 05:31 AM
frank5079
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My '95 F150 has a similar electrical gremlin; I'm thinking that I may have a grounding problem. When I first bought the truck, the previous owner, a close friend and co-worker said that the fuel gauge for the front tank(when switched), power windows and power locks quit working over a year ago; since I work at a dealership, I have co-workers who are repair techs and one of them diagnosed the problem as a "bad" ground. Well he "fixed" the problem by cutting the ground wire for the windows and wiring a direct ground to the chassis. Now the problem is every once in a while, my "CHECK ENGINE" light comes on and the fuel gauge will work and then quit. Oh and when I have the cruise control engaged, if I signal a lane change, the cruise control disengages.....Any of you guys have any ideas??

Old 06-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by frank5079
My '95 F150 has a similar electrical gremlin; I'm thinking that I may have a grounding problem. When I first bought the truck, the previous owner, a close friend and co-worker said that the fuel gauge for the front tank(when switched), power windows and power locks quit working over a year ago; since I work at a dealership, I have co-workers who are repair techs and one of them diagnosed the problem as a "bad" ground. Well he "fixed" the problem by cutting the ground wire for the windows and wiring a direct ground to the chassis. Now the problem is every once in a while, my "CHECK ENGINE" light comes on and the fuel gauge will work and then quit. Oh and when I have the cruise control engaged, if I signal a lane change, the cruise control disengages.....Any of you guys have any ideas??
If the engine has ever been changed or other serious work done in there, most of the time the important ground from one of the bellhousing bolts to the firewall is left off.

The best grounds are achieved by going straight to the engine block. That's where the big ground goes for the starter. Most trucks also have a "band clamp" or small wire grounding the frame also, but it's subject to rust and corrosion.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:50 PM
frank5079
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nope the engine has never been changed...but the next time I'm under the truck to change the transmission gear oil, I'll check that main grounding strap.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:08 AM
mikeinri
Tuned
Did you replace the original brake lights with LEDs? Are your brake light bulbs working correctly? I've had something similar happen with my cruise vs. turn signals. In my case, it was either a bad bulb, or self-inflicted when I changed to LEDs (they needed to have resistors added, otherwise the system thinks you have a brake light out and kills the cruise).

Mike

Old 06-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by frank5079
Nope the engine has never been changed...but the next time I'm under the truck to change the transmission gear oil, I'll check that main grounding strap.
It's easier to see from the top, though you might have to crawl up into the engine bay to look over the back of the engine.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 AM
mikeinri
Tuned
Quick update:

I finally got a chance to replace the multifunction switch over the weekend. I did not open the dash. After changing out the switch: No change since my last post: all lights and dash indicators work properly, but the cruise will not engage.

I opened the old switch (5, T-10 torx screws), lots of crud, gunk and green oxidation inside. I didn't bother to attempt cleaning it out, but based on my previous experience (wife's old Pontiac), I'm sure it could be cleaned and re-used.

Where do I start with troubleshooting the cruise?

Mike

Old 08-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by mikeinri
Quick update:

I finally got a chance to replace the multifunction switch over the weekend. I did not open the dash. After changing out the switch: No change since my last post: all lights and dash indicators work properly, but the cruise will not engage.

I opened the old switch (5, T-10 torx screws), lots of crud, gunk and green oxidation inside. I didn't bother to attempt cleaning it out, but based on my previous experience (wife's old Pontiac), I'm sure it could be cleaned and re-used.

Where do I start with troubleshooting the cruise?

Mike
See if you have a switch on the master cylinder. These are the ones that caught on fire and they had a big recall. Ford told everyone to disconnect it till they got time to call you in to replace it. Maybe it was never done on your van

Old 08-03-2015, 04:55 PM
mikeinri
Tuned
I had the recall work done for that.

Mike

Quick Reply: 1993 E350 Econoline Cruise vs Lights?