1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How to decide ... Vent window or 1 piece?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to decide ... Vent window or 1 piece?!

I have a '56...it's a patina truck. Driver window is shattered, and it bugs me and I want to put glass in it. It's not on the road yet and won't be for a while, but I'm not painting it.

I'm at the supernationals right now and I just can't decide on which I like better. I love the look of 1 piece, but would it look out of place on my truck?

Any help or opinions appreciated!

Old 05-15-2015, 01:29 PM
jcbingcougar
Junior User
I prefer the look and function of the vent windows on anything other than a full custom.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:42 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Part of these old trucks. Enjoy the vents, especially if you are not going to install AC. You know the vents work.
But, it is your truck.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but you asked.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by raytasch
Part of these old trucks. Enjoy the vents, especially if you are not going to install AC. You know the vents work.
But, it is your truck.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but you asked.
True, that's why I'm torn. I have the vent windows on my '65, and rarely use them because they don't stay open...but when I hold them open, they move some air!

Old 05-15-2015, 01:57 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

My 56 and my 49 both have working vent windows that stay open, even at road speed.
I drove the 49 from south of Knoxville to the Supernationals at I40 road speed yesterday, Thursday. Quite glad I had the vents. Might want to replace the seals on your 65 as they do work when right. I am sure the girls at Mid Fifty will fix you up with seals for the 56 and DC will have them for the 65. BTW, spend a few extra$$ and get the hollow seals for the 56. I installed some off brand seals that were with the truck when I bought my 56 and they are too stiff for the doors to close right. DC or Midfifty regular seals will probably be ok. Seals on my 49 are a DC product.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Unless you have AC, it's a no brainer in my opinion. I agree with the above statements. I would absolutely ROAST in my truck during the summer if it weren't for the cowl vent and the vent windows.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Schuyles
True, that's why I'm torn. I have the vent windows on my '65, and rarely use them because they don't stay open...but when I hold them open, they move some air!

Take your inspection panels off and tighten the nut on the bottom of the swivel inside the door just a little (a small ratchet with an extension works well). It will probably tighten up the mechanism so that they don't spin around on you.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
An old trick in the summer back when all cars had vent windows, and most didn't have AC: Turn the vent windows all the way out so they reverse direction. Now they will act like scoops bringing in a lot of air. This works even if the main windows are down. To get ventilation without getting soaked in a summer rain, open the cowl vent 1/2 way and open the vent windows about an inch.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:59 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vent is what I vote for. I got the one piece kit but had a change of heart. Not what I was thing for, and I also think they'd look weird on a patina truck.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:31 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Originally Posted by AXracer
An old trick in the summer back when all cars had vent windows, and most didn't have AC: Turn the vent windows all the way out so they reverse direction. Now they will act like scoops bringing in a lot of air. This works even if the main windows are down. To get ventilation without getting soaked in a summer rain, open the cowl vent 1/2 way and open the vent windows about an inch.
This works great, bringing in lots of nice fresh air, and bugs, and bees.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Thanks for all of the great replies guys. I won't have ac anytime soon, so I guess it should be obvious...

These are a couple of the "pros" that have me considering 1 piece:

- simple install without as many pieces to try to fit together (ie: the rubber and and felt never seem to look right on most trucks and definitely don't seem to be real snug) But also, I guess there are some irreversible modifications to make to the door for the 1 piece to work?

- aesthetically pleasing / simple look (although not original) I think it really looks nice on some trucks

- At least one owner with 1 piece at the show told me that it cut down on wind noise.

luckily, I didn't have to decide at the show today. Either way, nobody had the glass I wanted (clear) in either 1 piece or regular...

I guess I'll just do like most things for my build...think about it for 6 months - 1 year...just to do what I had decided 1 year earlier.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:39 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
my vote is for the vent windows

Old 05-15-2015, 07:28 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Aesthetically I like the one-piece window...I have them in my trucks and my 40 Ford coupe. That said, if your only gripe with your current setup is the fact that the vent does not stay open then just fix them. If you are going to be into the door anyway replacing the side glass, go ahead and pull out the vent window assy and replace the spring. Your truck would look much better with the stock setup...

Old 05-15-2015, 07:41 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I say for an original looking truck keep the side vents.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Awesome, thanks again for all of the replies.

I have decided to keep the vent windows (was always my plan...but had a lapse in judgement today apparently...).

The reason I'm even talking about it is because the driver door glass is shattered. Can someone confirm that I can take my passenger side glass and have two pieces cut exactly like it to get new side windows for driver and passenger side? I was going to buy a whole kit at the show, but he didn't have clear, only smoke.

Quick Reply: How to decide ... Vent window or 1 piece?!