Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

1978 Ford C800 flatbed commercial 18 footer Have any thoughts to tell me about it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Drivesitfar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1978 Ford C800 flatbed commercial 18 footer Have any thoughts to tell me about it?

ALL: i helped a client clear out their 100 year old steel fabrication business and they weren't going to keep the truck so i bought it from them. while i drove some big trucks at a job just out of high school over 40 years ago i don't know much about working on them.

from what I've learned about this truck it has a 475 gas engine with a 5 speed manual high low transmission. it has air brakes. it also has the heaviest duty diamond plate steel bed I've seen on a flatbed truck and the small cab with another steel bed alongside the cab for longer pieces. it only has one seat, but i could maybe rig up a sort of shotgun seat inside the cab.

i'd post pictures of it, but not sure how to since the paperclip method i use on another forum isn't one of my choices. i can maybe figure out my Photobucket account or if you want to see pictures i started a thread on Garage Journal and here's the link. or how can i post pictures of my truck here?

i would like to know more about the truck and it's value before i spend a few thousand dollars on it for tires and tuning it up. it runs pretty good now.

The Garage Journal Board

any thoughts or information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Old 05-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Drivesitfar
New User
I figured out how to post pictures of my truck so here are a few. ask if you need more pictures

Old 05-14-2015, 01:13 PM
redneck_davis
Senior User
Omg! That's thing is awesome. Hope you find someone with some knowledge of those cabovers.

I could see a few dollar signs when it comes time to someone needing a parade vehicle And a driver.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:22 PM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Just did a Google image search for C800's and none had a narrowed cab like that. Looks like it is a custom job.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:25 PM
Drivesitfar
New User
Red: thanks for the positive post. having a Hydroplane or some parade queens and princesses ??

thanks for the good words. i'm also looking for a good mechanic and tires in the south Seattle area if anyone knows of any or is one please post information.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:26 PM
redneck_davis
Senior User
I guess C for cab over and F for a regular truck cab? Wonder what bodystyles they had vs regular pickup styles.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:26 PM
Drivesitfar
New User
factory cab

Bruce: the cab came from the factory that way. i also heard that these trucks were made for fire departments.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Drivesitfar
New User
Red: yes C stands for Cab over. not sure about how many and looking for more information or post pictures of any you see or own would be great.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:31 PM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Drivesitfar
Bruce: the cab came from the factory that way. i also heard that these trucks were made for fire departments.
Yes - most, but not all, of the images I found were fire trucks.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:46 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Thread moved to the Large Truck forum - WELCOME to FTE!

Old 05-14-2015, 01:50 PM
Drivesitfar
New User
Krewat: i'm sure you know best with all the posts you have under your name. i thought i was in the large truck forum so i'll have to see where that is so i can find my thread.

thanks for the help and do you know much or anything about my "little" truck??

Bruce: if you happen to find any other pictures of a cab or truck like mine please post pictures if you can. thanks

Old 05-14-2015, 05:32 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
I replied to your other post under C series:

These were the "C" series trucks. There were many fire trucks that used the C series, including a Mack truck that used the same basic cab supplied by the Budd company. However, the vast majority of C series trucks were used for regular trucking, not fire trucks.

Working on a C series engine is no different than any other medium truck. The cab tilts and you can walk right up to the engine.

Brakes--if you are unschooled on air brakes, either take it to a shop or have an experienced brake man step you through them. It's not that complicated, but you must inspect them, make sure on adjustments and make sure your air tanks are sound and drained daily.

Your GVWR shows as 27500. You need a CDL to drive that thing, and you must also pass the test with an air brake equipped vehicle or you will have a restriction on your license.

The narrow cab I've seen on a bunch of trucks that were steel or pipe haulers. It looks to me like Allied truck body did the narrowing job, after getting an incomplete vehicle from Ford. (you have a picture of that sticker)

Old 05-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Drivesitfar
New User

MTOD
: I've read that if i license my truck for under 26,001 that i don't need a CDL. is that true?

i'm guessing i'll still need to take a test to have the air brakes added to my license. yes?

ALL: any idea what the value of my truck is AS IS? I've seen prices all over the board and haven't seen an exact match to my truck or even one with the reduced sized cab yet to compare. i did see a 56 flatbed sold at barretts auction for $46000 restored so if i restore mine is that kind of money unrealistic?

Old 05-14-2015, 06:35 PM
redneck_davis
Senior User
My class A says vehicles equal or greater than 26001 lbs. And all lesser.
But in order to run air brakes you need at least a class B. That's the same as the school bus drivers have, and you know there's some idiots driving those. The air brake test isn't hard, go to the DMV and get the CDL book for free. Ask them about a class b

Old 05-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Drivesitfar
New User
Red: thanks again for sharing your wisdom

Quick Reply: 1978 Ford C800 flatbed commercial 18 footer Have any thoughts to tell me about it?