6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:56 PM
bizzelj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again I appreciate the help guys.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:51 AM
david0505
Junior User
alternator

Hi,I got my NEW Bosch 7606N 135A at Amazon $152. lifetime warranty..prime shipping if You are a member...good luck,David

Old 05-14-2015, 09:31 AM
kbf1961
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Alternator Options:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ernatives.html

DC Power Alt and Wiring upgrade info:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...epair-com.html

Belt tools:
GearWrench 3680 Ratcheting Wrench Serpentine Belt Tool - Combination Wrenches - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Wilmar W84010 Serpentine Belt Tool: Home Improvement

I have the one in the second link, but for the alternator on the 6.0L you can really just lift the belt on and off the alt without messing with anything. Or use a pry-bar to lift the belt up and off like how is shown in Rusty's link above. But if you feel like you need to, either of those tools will help you set the tensioner kickstand (pics below) that keeps the belt slacked while you change out the alt.

Belt routing and tensioner:

Kick stand NOT set (belt tight):

Kick stand SET (belt loose):
Great pics! Thanks for posting. Reps

Old 05-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Fordee60
New User
When I change the alternator in the 6 liters, i tie a rope on the belt and tied it to the hood latch up top to keep the belt from falling down.
I then take off the two front bolts on the the alternator, and then loosen the back bolt slowly. The alternator will start to tip forward (no, it doesn't strip bolts or anything like that) and then the belt will loosen and the rope will keep it from falling into the engine. I just reverse the process when putting it back in. Works like a charm for me everytime. I've done dozens of them.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:20 AM
bizzelj
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fordee60
When I change the alternator in the 6 liters, i tie a rope on the belt and tied it to the hood latch up top to keep the belt from falling down.
I then take off the two front bolts on the the alternator, and then loosen the back bolt slowly. The alternator will start to tip forward (no, it doesn't strip bolts or anything like that) and then the belt will loosen and the rope will keep it from falling into the engine. I just reverse the process when putting it back in. Works like a charm for me everytime. I've done dozens of them.
That's sounds like a good plan to me. I'm getting to mine when work slows down a bit and I'm off

Old 05-25-2015, 05:11 PM
bizzelj
Senior User
Well finally got the time to take it off and have it tested at oreilys guy is having a hard time lol. Had it tested earlier with it on the truck and it failed and the passed and failed again so here I am

Old 05-25-2015, 05:20 PM
bizzelj
Senior User
Well now it passes on the Bench test

Old 05-25-2015, 05:20 PM
bizzelj
Senior User
Originally Posted by bizzelj
Well now it passes on the Bench test
Not sure what to do now

Old 05-25-2015, 05:41 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
If it was me, I'd replace it. It was intermittently failing in operation, ditto when tested in the truck and you think something has changed because it can pass a bench test? It intermittently "passed" in operation and in the truck (that is the opposite of sometimes failing).

No question in my mind it'll go back to the same: sometimes works and sometimes not, if you put it back in.

replace the dying alternator...

Old 05-25-2015, 05:51 PM
bizzelj
Senior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
If it was me, I'd replace it. It was intermittently failing in operation, ditto when tested in the truck and you think something has changed because it can pass a bench test? It intermittently "passed" in operation and in the truck (that is the opposite of sometimes failing).

No question in my mind it'll go back to the same: sometimes works and sometimes not, if you put it back in.

replace the dying alternator...
Bought a new one putting it on now

Old 05-25-2015, 05:52 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by bizzelj
Bought a new one putting it on now
Did you go for at least a 140A one?

Old 05-25-2015, 07:10 PM
bizzelj
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fordee60
I am having issues doing it this way

Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I pulled up on the belt and used a bar to tap the stand under, then a piece of string or rope to hold the belt up and keep on all all the pulleys. If you have trouble, take out the passenger side batteriy, be sure to cover the cables, and then you can have someone reach down from the battery side and hit the kick stand under while you pull on the belt. It's a hard pull, but stick with it.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:04 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
The bench test spins an alt at high idle so they usually pass on bench and fail at idle in the truck

Had this same issue before watched the guy haul it to 3 diffrent shops LOL

Old 05-25-2015, 10:57 PM
bizzelj
Senior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
I pulled up on the belt and used a bar to tap the stand under, then a piece of string or rope to hold the belt up and keep on all all the pulleys. If you have trouble, take out the passenger side batteriy, be sure to cover the cables, and then you can have someone reach down from the battery side and hit the kick stand under while you pull on the belt. It's a hard pull, but stick with it.
Finally got it I took it off the small smooth pulley lifted it up over the alternator and had then pulled the crap out of it and had my wife slide it back over ther little pulley under the alternator so big thanks to her. Time will tell of it fixed my random batter light

Quick Reply: Alternator