1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a front bearing going out? (videos)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:12 AM
mtpiper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a front bearing going out? (videos)

2005 F250 4x4 6.0L 6-speed stick.
From what I have found on searches, I suspect front bearing unit will need replacement. This has been going on for a couple weeks now. My truck is not a daily driver...
At steady speeds between 30 and 45 mph, I will get a squeal coming from the front. As soon as I just barely start to apply brakes, it goes away. Sometimes it will start while going around a gentle curve. If I hit a bump while it's making noise, it will go away for a few seconds, then come back.
I did jack up each side and grabbed the tire at 12:00 and 6:00 and gave it a good wiggle, but it feels really solid. No play at all.

Here are a couple videos of what it's doing...

This one is just steady speed down the street. I hit a bump at 9 seconds and it goes away for a few seconds.
http://vid858.photobucket.com/albums...s/IMG_3307.mp4

This one is a little longer, but you can really hear it at the beginning, then if you skip to 1:13, it starts just a little as I go around a curve.
http://vid858.photobucket.com/albums...s/IMG_3308.mp4

Looking for some confirmation of what I suspect.
Thanks for your time!
Tony

Old 05-13-2015, 06:32 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
A rear parking brake shoe or hardware coming apart can make a similar noise. The hat of the rotor keeps the parts in there to keep getting chewed up. Happened to mine last year.

Best way to feel how the front unit bearings are is to jack it up and remove the wheel. Spin the unit bearing by hand. You should be able to tell by the resistance if it has grease in it or is dry. If it is rough or smooth and etc. When the bearing retainer starts coming apart on them they like to chew up the abs sensor.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:27 AM
mtpiper
Junior User
Originally Posted by dkf
A rear parking brake shoe or hardware coming apart can make a similar noise. The hat of the rotor keeps the parts in there to keep getting chewed up. Happened to mine last year.

Best way to feel how the front unit bearings are is to jack it up and remove the wheel. Spin the unit bearing by hand. You should be able to tell by the resistance if it has grease in it or is dry. If it is rough or smooth and etc. When the bearing retainer starts coming apart on them they like to chew up the abs sensor.
It's definitely coming from the front. I haven't had a chance to check it with the wheel off yet. But when I looked at it before, when I spun it with the wheel on, it makes a very faint tink-tink-tink sound. I should be able to take another look this weekend.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:11 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anything over 100-150K you likely need front hub bearings. MAW do the outer ujoints while you in it that deep.
Do yourself a favor and only purchase USA(or German, Swiss, Japan) bearings and Spicer ujoints. If you cheap out on chineasium you'll back at it next year if youre lucky.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:09 PM
mtpiper
Junior User
Bought a set of Timken SP940200 hubs ($408 for the pair from RockAuto), but they didn't ship with the 4 (each) mount studs and nuts.
Does anyone have a part number for these?? I have searched all over the internet, and I only ever come up with a part number of studs for 1999-2004 ('05 and later are different??), and the other referenced part numbers are for ball joint studs and wheel studs.
I'd rather put on new studs instead of having to fight and heat the old ones off, and would rather hit up NAPA or similar before having to pay dealer prices.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:33 PM
mtpiper
Junior User
FYI, part number for hub studs is 5C3Z-1107-AA. $14.03 for each hub stud from Ford (and $14.99 at NAPA!!)
Dorman part #917-514 from RockAuto is $29.79 for a 4-pack.
The reason my search was so difficult is all the online diagrams refer to the lug stud. They have the right part number, but the wrong diagram.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:21 AM
HearseDriver
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
mtpiper,
Thanks for the updated info. my 06 has 144,000 on it so I'm sure I'll be needing to do this myself soon.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:20 PM
PatrickinWI
New User
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Anything over 100-150K you likely need front hub bearings. MAW do the outer ujoints while you in it that deep.
Do yourself a favor and only purchase USA(or German, Swiss, Japan) bearings and Spicer ujoints. If you cheap out on chineasium you'll back at it next year if youre lucky.
X2

I got my '05 6.0 F-350 in December while on the road for work, changed a failing front unit bearing in the hotel parking lot with one from Ebay.

I found this thread while searching for axle info because that cheap bearing has already failed, 5 months later.

Now I will do both bearings with Timkens, u-joints and seals.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:24 PM
mtpiper
Junior User
Originally Posted by dkf
Well, a set of unit bearings later and it's still doing it. I could swear it's from the front end. But I suppose that sound can really bounce around and make it sound like its the front. I'll be poking around those rear brakes next. Well at least I have a new set of Timkins on the front...

Old 06-02-2015, 07:55 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Yes Id pull the rear wheels and look at the parking brakes. My 08 did a nice job of grinding everything up on one side. It sounded like a bad Ujoint, but worse. I fixed it with a fender washer and retaining hardware from a car drum brake set up.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:12 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
OK how the.... do I post pictures here??? I know Ive performed this amazingly INTUITIVE feat in the past here. Im a registered user ...obviously. Followed the instructions. I clicked on "post reply" on the main not quick reply. There isnt a manage attachments box below. Anyone have some ideas how to assist my big dumb azz
All I have below is "additional options" ... Misc Options, Thread subscription and rate thread? Nothing about managing attachments.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:20 AM
mtpiper
Junior User
I've always just linked to an image in my photobucket account using the "Insert Image" button then pasting the direct URL. Like...

Old 06-02-2015, 04:38 PM
mtpiper
Junior User
That freaking snap-ring!!

How in tarnation do you get that snap-ring out? There must be an industrial set of pliers somewhere to do that

I had to MacGyver mine out. As they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention"...here's what I did on a Sunday:
Take a pair of long needle-nose pliers ($8 at AZ)

Grind a little notch (but not too much!) in the tip so that ring has something to hold on to:

Rummage around your box of nuts and bolts that you've been accumulating over the years...

Grind a nice saddle in the head so it doesn't slip or twist...

Grab your nearest 5/8 inch deep-well socket, put the pliers on the snap-ring, then wedge your new spanner in between the handles...

Then turn, turn, turn... The patience of Job is needed during this maneuver. And for crying out loud, don't dare breathe on it or look cross-eyed at it, or SNAP!!...pick up the bolt and socket off the floor and start again.
It was way harder getting it out, than it was putting it back in. When I put it back in, I got the ring just on the outside edge of the spindle, then used a punch to GENTLY tap it till it snapped home.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:54 PM
Xcursion88
Tuned
just get some of these must have pliers
https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...hspart=mozilla

Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Dam good bit of ingenuity!

Quick Reply: Is this a front bearing going out? (videos)