Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Time to get started.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2015, 07:07 AM
New User

PhantomOutlaw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Time to get started.

Hello everyone. As the title states, I think it is finally time to get started on the old girl. The truck in question has been a father/son project since 1993. She has seen many lives and has been resurrected just as many times.The truck at this point is somewhat of a FrankenFord. It was originally a 1979 F100 Custom 2wd with a 302. About 5 years ago Dad wanted to male her 4wd so we began searching for a donor truck and we lucked and found a 1977 F150. We swapped the body of the 79 onto the 77 frame and Dad had his 4wd. We began doing the body work and actually had it ready to paint when Dad fell ill. He was diagnosed with lung cancer and died 6 months later. It has been 2 and a half years since he passed away and I haven't been able to bring myself to tear her back apart and get her ready to be restored again.I keep asking myself what would Dad do here? Or, How would Dad want that? I think I have those issues resolved and I'm ready to give it a go.This won't be an instant build thread like most I have seen on here and other forums. Due to the way I work this could take me a year or two to accomplish. I will try to post some pics later when I have more time.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Posting Guru

bkaul is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great back-story on the truck. I'll look forward to seeing it come together. Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, but hopefully the project will be comforting. The end result will undoubtedly be a lot more meaningful to you than just any old truck!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Regular User

CelticOne has a good reputation on FTE.CelticOne has a good reputation on FTE.
Hey Phantom - welcome to FTE. There are lot's of great people here with incredible amounts of knowledge.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your truck and watching the progress.

1975/1978 FORD F100 Ranger XLT 2wd LB 302 3-on-the-tree
2006 FORD Freestyle (Volvo in disguise)
2005 Mazda Tribute (FORD in disguise)
Old 05-13-2015, 11:05 AM
New User

Here are a few pics of what I am starting with.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Posting Guru

Jdeshler has a good reputation on FTE.Jdeshler has a good reputation on FTE.Jdeshler has a good reputation on FTE.
Welcome to FTE.. I'm sorry for your loss, prayers sent!

I cant wait to see pictures of the pickup! It'll be a pleasure to watch you build it up and start enjoying the old gal.

Don't worry so much about getting it perfect because I guarantee you he would be PROUD of everything you do and accomplish on it.

99 f350 4x4 7.3 dually..........71 Chevelle 454
66 f100 4x4 302....................64 C10 283
79 f250 supercab 351m.......78 f100 300
51 Chevy wrecker.................48 john Deere model b
Old 05-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Posting Guru

Jdeshler has a good reputation on FTE.Jdeshler has a good reputation on FTE.Jdeshler has a good reputation on FTE.
I think we posted at the same time

She is solid and from what I can see there isn't much rust..

I have weakness for a sharp old flareside

99 f350 4x4 7.3 dually..........71 Chevelle 454
66 f100 4x4 302....................64 C10 283
79 f250 supercab 351m.......78 f100 300
51 Chevy wrecker.................48 john Deere model b
Old 05-13-2015, 12:36 PM
New User

Thanks for the condolences and positive thoughts. Dad always had a soft spot for the older flaresides. He didn't care much for the new ones until I bought my 2001 F150 Flaresides and he fell in love with it.

As far as rust, the truckk has surface rust beginning to show through the primer. There are a few spots on the bed but no pitting or holes, mainly surface rust and rust between attachment points like between where the step and fender bolt together. I know I need a few bigger parts like a steering column but nothing major. I have a stock push bar with lights to mount on the truck once it's complete and I want a roll bar with lights for the bed. My biggest decision is what type of wood to go back with in the box and if there are templates out there for getting the right widths and bolting patterns.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:37 PM
New User

I thought I would post a few more before photos before I really started to tear old Marilyn apart.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:42 PM
New User

A few more...

The only real damage on the truck is to the drip rails which I thought of shaving anyway..

Old 05-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Freshman User

rglowacki is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi Phantom, I lost my dad about 2 1/2 years ago too. That put a stop to a lot of my projects as he was always my partner on anything I did whether we did it together or apart and I just called him all the time to talk over my plans. Him passing took the wind out of my sails for a good year and a half. Later I decided I had 34 good years with him so that should have been enough time to teach me enough to go it alone. I still remember the first time I walked into a home-improvement store without him. That sucked.

That is a good looking truck. It looks straight. Take your time and update when you do anything! Interestingly, I found that I very rarely visit the cemetery. When I want to see a monument to my dad, I just look around my place. You've got a good monument going right there....
-1953 Ford Customline Sedan, Running
-1973 Ford F-100 Styleside Long-bed, Restored
Old 05-16-2015, 12:04 PM
New User

I haven't been to the cemetery since the funeral. My time with these old trucks is where I feel Dad the most.

I started stripping the bed today. I have the fenders and steps removed from the box as well as the box taken off and moved outside.

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
New User

I was finally able to get a little time with the truck today and started to disassemble the front of the truck.

Can anyone give me a few measurements so that I can make notes for when it is time for reassembly? I need the measurement on the spacing from the bottom of the cowl to the top of the fender. I currently have 1\4" on the drivers side and 3\8" on the passengers side. I also need the distance from cowl to the start of the inner fenders like in the next picture.

The other issue is I broke two of the bolts that mount the inner fenders to the cab. I guess I will have to drill those out and possibly rethread the nuts for reassembly. 😢

Thanks in advance for any help on the measurements or solutions to my broken bolt problem.
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM
Post Fiend

HIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud of
Well, it's a little late but I recommend applying a penetrant liberally to all nuts and bolts waaaaaaay before attempting to remove them... body bolts and U-units seem to be very corrosion prone.

The cowl bracket nut is "caged" like the hood hinge nuts. I suggest wire-wheeling the broken bolt and then welding a nut to it if possible. Then douse with penetrant to improve the chances of a successful extraction.

Otherwise, it'll be sectioning that portion of the firewall, extracting the broken bolt, fixing the caged nut, and reattaching it.. I'd rather do that than drilling out 60+ spot welds to remove the cowl panel.
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
New User

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't believe I didn't think of the simple solution of welding a nut to the stud that was left behind. This truck has already been apart once and I soaked the fasteners with penetrating oil a few days ago but apparently it wasn't enough. I guess that's what I get for cutting corners by not heat treating the bolts after electrolysis and by not using enough penetrating oil.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Senior User

Jrgunn5150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm sorry to hear about your father, as mine is currently pretty ill, I understand. I also am glad to see you keeping it going

Two things my father has repeated to me over the years come to mind, and your father may have felt differently, but,

1. If it ain't broke, leave it the heck alone... Never listened to that one lol.

2. a 2WD truck is as useful as a girl that's just a friend lol..

We live in Michigan, he logged all summer, plowed all winter, so 2wd is an animal he doesn't understand hahaha
2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer 5.3 4x4
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM