Sponsored by: Moser

Got a blast cabinet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:49 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Got a blast cabinet?

So, I need/want one. Looking at tp tools 966 pro finisher. Quite a bit of price difference for the extra 6" in height. 960 is 400 less and free shipping(total 600 less).

Any solid reasons to be happy with the smaller one?

Got any input on size requirements for restoring the best trucks in the world.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
My next tool will be a blast cabinet..

As far as your size question, imagine you go with the smaller one then need 3 more inches to fit that part

But...... for 600 bucks!!! I'd go for 6 less inches

Old 05-12-2015, 10:19 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
For what it's worth, here is a link I saved: How to build a homemade sandblasting cabinet - Smecca.com

Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
The bigger the better believe me. It's not the size of the parts that's the pain. It's when you have to keep flipping them different directions to get it all that's the issue.

Also search blasting cabinet water trap. I built mine out of 5 gallon buckets and pvc fittings. Worth every penny to reduce the dust inside and out of the cabinet.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:00 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
I'd probably buy the small one and stretch it a foot, but what do I know, I bought mine at an auction for about 30 - $40. I'm thinking about putting a 3rd arm hole in mine when I finally get this pkace set up, would be my blasting arm hole. I'm a cheap cuss.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:08 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by privateer, eh
I'm thinking about putting a 3rd arm hole in mine.
A third arm would be very useful sometimes. Wish I had that, let alone a hole for it.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:15 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaul
A third arm would be very useful sometimes. Wish I had that, let alone a hole for it.
I've got a spare hole in the head that I can send you

Old 05-13-2015, 01:53 AM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Lol.. You guys ain't right..

Old 05-13-2015, 06:50 AM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
you can also buy the smaller one plus an out door canister one, ive had mine over 30yrs and still get's used. I have the harbor frieht cabnet one and it works just fine, we've done heads,intakes about everyone i know comes over and use's it. I also have one of the small hand held ones for small quick jobs down outside.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:57 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
This is the 48" wide cabinet I have (only in red).

960-T Pro Trig-Blast Sandblasting Cabinet - TP Tools & Equipment

I took a small 15 gallon barrel (same size as the vacuum unit in the photo) and use it as an extention on the left side of my cabinet. If I need the added length to blast something long, like a rear end housing, I can attach the drum to the side of the cabinet. If I don't need the extension, I can cap the hole off.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:52 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
You guys crack me up!

I was thinking about putting the vac upstairs in the barn and vent it outside. Keep things somewhat quiet.

This is one of the last major tools I currently think I need in my shop....I can fab up a ext pretty quick going sideways but raising the roof would be slightly more complicated. Plus I'd probably be too lazy to fab it,,, if it didnt fit I would just use the outdoor blaster which I hate dragging out.

ultraranger.....are you happy with that vac system?

Old 05-13-2015, 07:31 PM
lurch460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No comment on size but bigger is always better. Can say that TP tools is only an hour from my house and I have been there many times. Those cabinets are all built in Canfield Ohio and they are nice quality. Have used one before, and like I said been in the factory. It is a nice place to visit if ever in the area.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:37 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
....ultraranger.....are you happy with that vac system?
Yes.

I've used my blast cabinet a LOT in the 9 years I've had it. Two things I wish were different on the model I have (I just haven't changed them); I wish there was also a light on the right side and, I wish it had a foot pedal instead of a trigger nozzle.

I use Skat Blast media. It's a little more aggressive than glass beads because it's finely crushed automotive glass. It strips parts quickly.

Air Supply: I bought my compressor on Christmas Eve, 2006 in preperation for buying a bead blast cabinet (which I bought four months later in April, 2007). I knew a blast cabinet would be the most demanding tool (air consumption-wise) on the compressor, of any tool I have.

Unlike other peoples blast cabinets I have used, I didn't want to continually have to stop blasting to wait for the compressor to catch back up, before I could continue on. I bought this compressor at Home Depot.

I NEVER have to stop and wait for this compressor to catch up, because it doesn't get behind (23 SCFM @90 PSI, 7.5 hp motor, 80-gal tank, two-stage, 175 PSI max output).

Old 05-13-2015, 10:16 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
ultraranger....Thanks for the info..I" have a Quincy 23 cfm coupled to another 40 gallon tank. Air is not a problem.

Pretty sure they both come with the foot pedal but I'll doublecheck.

How often do you replace the inner lens covers? I guess I should say how many do you purchase at a time?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:05 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
ultraranger....Thanks for the info..I" have a Quincy 23 cfm coupled to another 40 gallon tank. Air is not a problem.

Pretty sure they both come with the foot pedal but I'll doublecheck.

How often do you replace the inner lens covers? I guess I should say how many do you purchase at a time?
Lens changing frequency just really depends on how much use you're putting on the cabinet.They generally last for a pretty good while. It will also depend on how high a pressure you're running the cabinet at. --the higher the pressure, the faster it will pulverize the media and cloud up the lense.

I buy the lens packs from TP Tools but don't remember the specific number of lenses that come in them.

I would also suggest getting one of their sifter/strainers to sift out large debris from the blast media.

Quick Reply: Got a blast cabinet?