Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone between Tyler TX. and Roanoke VA. (or close) that can lend a hand and extract 4 head studs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by nmclella
Shoddy workmanship!!! Should have sent them to me for a proper weld

Well yes, there is that but my wife did say she did her best.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:41 AM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I've posted here many times grasshopper, my dad use to buy the best he could buy regardless of the item. Always told me he did that because he couldn't afford to buy the same thing 3 times.
I hear this constantly out of the "old timers".

The problem I see nowadays is it's getting more difficult to weed out the good stuff from the questionable.

Some of the name brands that used to command some respect aren't what they used to be and I wouldn't want to be paying a premium for something made in the same plant as the cheap stuff.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
With exhausts and headers one thing to watch out for is the advertisement of stainless steel but in the 409 grade. Even though it is "stainless" the 409 grade is junk stainless. It rusts, it cracks, it is not worth anything more than regular steel.

When shopping for any stainless exhaust ALWAYS look for something in the 300 grade. If you are looking at some used part or new in person and have doubts if it is a 300 grade or 400 grade stick a magnet to it. If the magnet attracts it is junk 409, if it doesn't it is a 300 grade.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:10 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn Andy, what is this "RUST" word you always speak about?

Old 05-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I hate rust, it just makes me sick. Get some nice vehicle and if it even hears the word salt it starts to rust away. There are times I almost cry when I find rust...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-up-with.html

Old 05-17-2015, 01:00 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,079 Likes on 555 Posts
Damn Andy, what is this "RUST" word you always speak about?
Go drive on the beach in the surf edge every day and you can find out all about it too!

Old 05-17-2015, 01:40 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Go drive on the beach in the surf edge every day and you can find out all about it too!
Eric, why would anyone that drives an exotic masterpiece like the Excursion do that? Buy a GM for that

Old 05-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Eric, why would anyone that drives an exotic masterpiece like the Excursion do that? Buy a GM for that
Because it's freaking fun as heck!!

Sean's Ex (wpnaes)

Stewart

Old 05-26-2015, 10:30 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Ok, time to get these things installed. If Unicorn can do it there is no reason I can't. He says the hardest part was the inner fenders (they are a PITA) and they have to go back on anyway so might as well finish up what I started right? Tomorrow is front bumper and rear window working day. After that I need to clean up the front of my house because I'll have 2 bumpers and a grill guard sitting out front and I don't feel like putting my truck up on blocks to complete the look I've got going. Time to STFU and get back to work! Ordering some wrap and zip ties tonight for the headers and I'll get the EGR welded closed this week and once I get them wrapped and ready I'll install them

Old 05-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Ok, time to get these things installed. If Unicorn can do it there is no reason I can't. He says the hardest part was the inner fenders (they are a PITA) and they have to go back on anyway so might as well finish up what I started right? Tomorrow is front bumper and rear window working day. After that I need to clean up the front of my house because I'll have2 bumpers and a grill guard sitting out front and I don't feel like putting my truck up on blocks to complete the look I've got going. Time to STFU and get back to work! Ordering some wrap and zip ties tonight for the headers and I'll get the EGR welded closed this week and once I get them wrapped and ready I'll install them
Take your time on the install. Once you start getting frustrated, its a sign to take a break .

Are you wrapping your headers?

Old 05-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Archion, Hasteranger, you're only 3 hours from me! Twitchy is only another hour from there too... Would you be willing to weld these stupid bolts out? I would kill to get these headers installed and I need to meet up with Twitch so he can upgrade his front end anyway so this could be really great!!! Have to find a way to get the wife to come though, 4 Excursions driving around together might get the ladies all excited and I need the Mrs. Apoc there as my bodyguard.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Drunken_Unicorn

Are you wrapping your headers?
This is what I'm planning on but haven't ordered yet:

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Oooo racing red!

Old 05-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While reading some of the other threads I've noticed that the wrapped headers don't do as well in the long run as the unwrapped headers. I think it depends on the manufacture, but sounds like the header wrap makes them hold moisture and they might be more prone to cracking. I have been wrong though!

How tight of a fit are the headers you are putting in? You could always make some heat shields to help protect some of the spots you are worried about. My banks headers are in there pretty close. Nothing is touching the pipes, so I think I am off to a good start. I do plan on making some more heat shielding like Tom did in his install.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Yes header wrap does hold moister and make more rust.

Quick Reply: Anyone between Tyler TX. and Roanoke VA. (or close) that can lend a hand and extract 4 head studs?