1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 Ford F250 Custom Camper w/1964 390 Police Interceptor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 02:19 PM
mokandshuk
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol, ok GLR. Btw, when ordering brake kits. Do I just need one kit for the front and one kit for the rear or because they are duals on the back does it involve 2 kits for the rear? Because I already ordered and received (2) Raybestos 33PG kits. I managed to get them for $13 a kit with free shipping.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:51 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Usually, unless specified, one kit does one side. 2 kits required for the front, 2 for the rear.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:06 PM
mokandshuk
Freshman User

1 kit

Old 05-16-2015, 06:31 PM
mokandshuk
Freshman User
Will an 8" wide rim fit on the rear or will it rub the other tire/rim since they are duallys. What is the max width they can be?

Old 05-16-2015, 07:24 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
A vehicle set up for DRW has a wheel that is off set to handle the dual wheel application so they don't kiss. Look at the picture you posted of the duals. See how they're off set? The wheels you link to will not fit that hub on that truck. At least I did not see any speced to fit. I think you'll find the pattern is 5x8 with larger diameter holes.
BTW, the way the springs appear to be compressed, indicates to me that truck is heavy.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 PM
mokandshuk
Freshman User
raytasch could the 20s on the rear be these instead of widowmakers?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ally-rims.html

Old 05-16-2015, 07:43 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

The raised band on the concave side of the wheel screams widowmaker to me. Those in the advertisement are split ring or lock ring, not widowmaker but still not as desirable as the readily available drop center 19.5" Firestone tubeless wheels. Those advertised still require tubes and flaps which are a pia.
Perhaps Truckdog or someone else will see this thread and verify my suspicions of your wheels being widowmakers. Don't make a decision based only on what I am saying.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:46 PM
mokandshuk
Freshman User
If they are not widowmakers |I could get these for them and call it a day :P
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fidelity-Titan-8-25-20-Bias-Tube-Type-Truck-Tire-Steer-BRAND-NEW-w-Flap-825-20-/311359074522?hash=item487e7270da&vxp=mtr
If they are widowmakers I can just contact that seller and spend the $400 on those 4 rims. Also going to the pick and pull in the AM so we will see what that adventure brings.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:48 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-two-sets.html
This is what I would put on it. I have them on the front of my F4.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:14 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mokandshuk
GLR (2) 16" wheels will not help :/ unless I can find another 4. Also those are 8 lug and I have 5 lug. My plan of attack has been to purchase all the tires rims at once. I don't want to have to piece together rim/tire sets. raytasch the 17x8 rims I mentioned are custom rims, they are Daytonas. I don't have a problem going to custom rims/going away from OEM because it already has a bunch of non OEM stuff, such as the engine etc. Here is the link again for the 17x8" custom ones (5 lug)
https://www.bigwheels.net/index.php?...taggered=false
Welcome to FTE, you have a nice project there, but you need to make your decisions in order before you start ordering a lot of parts that you won't be able to use.
First, the wheels in the above link won't fit what you have. I looked at the list there and there is not a single 5 lug x 8" bolt pattern wheel listed. Before you consider ordering brake parts, you need to know which rear end you have. If it is, what we all expect, an old Ford Rear end, you will NOT find brake drums available anywhere. So if you are considering keeping that rearend, Please, pull the drums and inspect them BEFORE you make a final decision. Regardless of what your uncle thinks (no disrespect intended) but you are getting some really good advise from the guys who know these trucks. The 22.5 rims that you linked earlier would be a good replacement, however the OP hasn't bothered to come back and note that he sold those rims with a couple of days after listing them. Also, the "antique 20" wheels' in the other ad don't appear to be in very good condition. On lock ring wheels such as those it is important to have the rings that were originally matched to the rim, mismatched combos in those can be every bit as dangerous as the widowmakers.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:28 PM
mokandshuk
Freshman User
Thanks for the post harleymsn. I think it would be down to either:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...o-sets-12.html
or:
but from the looks on that would it fit around the centerpiece I have?

Old 05-17-2015, 05:44 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the post harleymsn. I think it would be down to either:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...o-sets-12.html
or:
but from the looks on that would it fit around the centerpiece I have?
Honestly, between those two, I would consider the 19.5' a no brainer. Those are what I installed on my F5. They are newer, (by decades) tubeless and approved for radial tires. You may even be able to locate some of those locally. The 19.5's most common donor vehicles are class a motorhomes from the 70's and 80's based on Dodge RM400 and 500 chassis. BTW, those motorhomes also good donors for the rear end with higher gearing.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:34 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
I've got to be organized here. So I'll start with the front wheels. The 17" wheels that came on 1955 F-250s are Budd #49380. They are the same widow makers as used beginning in 1948 on F-3s and used through the mid 1960s at least on F-250s. They need to go away. If you really want to retain a 7.50 x 17" tire on the front, Kelsey-Hayes made a three part locking ring style wheel having the Firestone "AR" rim. They have a smaller center hole but will fit your front axle. Chevy guys try to get rid of them, so they aren't hard to find, probably dirt cheap.

Staying on the front axle, your spare looks to be Budd #70720. You should find that number stamped on the wheel. It is a 17.5" x 5.25" tubeless wheel that uses an 8-17.5" tire. The tires are shorter in diameter than the 7.50 x 17s. The 8-17.5" (bias ply) is 31.5" - 32" vs 34" for the 7.50 x 17". Having one isn't a lot of help, but I know of a full available set. Whether my buddy would split the set I can't say.

A better front wheel option is Budd #71410, a single style 19.5" x 5.25" that became an F-250 optional wheel in 1956. It was designed to use a bias ply 8-19.5" tire, although many radials were fitted by owners over the years. No bias 8-19.5s are today being sold, but NOS ones can be found. An 8-19.5" tire has the same 34" diameter as your 7.50 x 17s. A radial 8R19.5" tire is likely to be closer to 33.5". My same friend that has the set of 70720s also has an available set of 71410s. Even more doubtful that he'd split that set.

Rear axle. The pictured wheel is clearly a widow maker. The other guys are right, since we don't know what the axle is, or what it came out of, it's hard to know if drums or other parts are available for it. Sorting that out would also help you decide on replacement rear wheels. Without question 22.5s will fit and solve many questions. The narrowest tire today is 9R22.5" at 38" tall, similar in size to an 8.25" x 20". The other sure fire option would be Goodyear style side ring/locking ring 20" tube types. They are becoming are to find, but not as hard to find as 22.5s. The third possibility is the 19.5" tubeless, either Budd #72070 in 5.25" width or #89340 in 6.00" width. We know that these wheels clear the rear drums on the axles used under Fords covering a wide range of years, but can't say with certainty that they'd also work on other axles used by Dodge or IHC. Ford, Dodge, and IHC were the primary users of the 5 lug x 8" pattern in a stud piloted mounting.

A way to ensure success is to find a derelict Dodge RM 400/500 based motor home having the 19.5s, thus allowing you to also capture its Dana 70HD rear axle with 4.56/1 final drive ratio. In your search avoid GM based motor homes that will look like they have a five lug pattern on the front axle. In truth, GM used a 10 lug x 7.25" pattern on all six wheels but used only five lugs at the front with blanking plates covering the odd holes.

Hope I didn't add confusion. Please ask questions. Stu

Edit - additional thoughts. The 20" locking ring wheels you've seen in the classifieds are a good option for your rear. Fair price, close enough maybe to allow you to pick them up avoiding added shipping cost, and allow use of existing axle. Also, for the front axle, a pair of junk yard F-250 16" wheels will solve your front widow maker issue. Fitted with 7.50 x 16" tires or 235/85R16s give you a 32" tire diameter. Stu

Old 05-18-2015, 07:01 AM
mokandshuk
Freshman User
Edit - additional thoughts. The 20" locking ring wheels you've seen in the classifieds are a good option for your rear. Fair price, close enough maybe to allow you to pick them up avoiding added shipping cost, and allow use of existing axle. Also, for the front axle, a pair of junk yard F-250 16" wheels will solve your front widow maker issue. Fitted with 7.50 x 16" tires or 235/85R16s give you a 32" tire diameter. Stu <-------- Thank you so much for the advice Stu. Yes, the 20 inch locking ring wheels are only 4 hours away so that would be an easy pickup, however wouldn't you suggest I just get the 19.5s from you instead that are tubeless? I know you are based in IL but I just moved up from Champaign recently and have to travel back there to clear out my storage unit, or I would just pay to have them shipped. If the locking ring ones will work though I already see brand new 10 ply tires for $125 each with free shipping that will fit. I would just have to spend the $20 for each of the tubes. Also you said your friend had a whole set of rims that are the same as the spare I have on the front which you said would be a decent replacement. What would they sell the set for? I will be crawling under it today to determine the exact type of rear end. My uncle told me he thinks it is a 2 speed rear end, but I will hopefully know the exact make/model by the end of the day. Also wouldn't another option for the front be a tubeless 19.5 rim that is 8 lug? I saw an old ad on here so they should exist.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:39 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Thank you so much for the advice Stu. Yes, the 20 inch locking ring wheels are only 4 hours away so that would be an easy pickup, however wouldn't you suggest I just get the 19.5s from you instead that are tubeless? I know you are based in IL but I just moved up from Champaign recently and have to travel back there to clear out my storage unit, or I would just pay to have them shipped. If the locking ring ones will work though I already see brand new 10 ply tires for $125 each with free shipping that will fit. I would just have to spend the $20 for each of the tubes. Also you said your friend had a whole set of rims that are the same as the spare I have on the front which you said would be a decent replacement. What would they sell the set for? I will be crawling under it today to determine the exact type of rear end. My uncle told me he thinks it is a 2 speed rear end, but I will hopefully know the exact make/model by the end of the day. Also wouldn't another option for the front be a tubeless 19.5 rim that is 8 lug? I saw an old ad on here so they should exist.
My priority is to help identify solutions, not to sell a set of my wheels. I can't be honest and suggest that you think about 19.5s on the rear without firm knowledge that they will clear your present rear drums.

I've texted my friend Mark asking him to either check in here, or tell me whether he'd split sets and give a price.

The Budd 71410 that I mentioned above is an 8 lug x 6.5" pattern 19.5" single style wheel. If Mark doesn't wish to split his sets I believe I might know of a 19.5" retail source you can contact. Mark just texted me back that he will check in here after he's off work. Stu

Quick Reply: 1955 Ford F250 Custom Camper w/1964 390 Police Interceptor