1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

new lower door seals, do they fit original channels?

Old 06-18-2015, 05:55 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool, probably an amazingly agile and fuel efficient car. And I bet one drives very defensively in them.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:07 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Which type of seals have you guys got? I bought mine about 10 years ago and they don't look anything like what is being sold now. Naturally, after maybe 3 hours of squeezing mine into the channels, they end up not even touching the door. These look like what it should be: Truck Lower Door Seal | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts

That is the OEM style as on the stock truck . Use plenty of silcone spray & they will slide in .

Old 06-19-2015, 09:15 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by firstrider
That is the OEM style as on the stock truck . Use plenty of silcone spray & they will slide in .
Mine did not as you can see from the pictures of the old channels. I would guess being a Minnesota truck that as it was used as a work truck and ice, snow, frozen mud, etc. built up on that lower seal area and then the strips were crushed closed as the doors were opened and closed. The doors are also bent inward in that area (yet another repair job not yet completed). There were only vestiges of the seal left and even they would not come out of the channels.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:53 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Just to update this, I am finishing up the last few details on my truck #2 build, including the lower door seals. I have found as others did that no way will the new seal fit my original seal channel. So I will be replacing both channels instead of just the one side. The new seals fit the new channels fine, still a good tight fit but doable. I found the quickest way to install them was to slide the seal up into the upper edge of the channel first and then compress the bottom of the seal lip up into the channel. I had to lay on my back to do it but I had no luck putting them in bottom edge first.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:16 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
It all depends upon how crushed the channels are. Mine were bad to the point where even the inner door panels are stove in. Haven't gotten to that chore yet.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I think you are supposed to knock the flanges over the seal after putting them in. If you look at Pete's picture on p. 1, the steel runs the risk of contacting the door if they aren't bent over.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:47 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Not sure is that is needed or not, my seals stick out past the channel and look to be sealing ok against the door. They do fit tight enough in the channel that they will not move. I am going to try and pry open my one original channel, but if it doesnt work I will just replace it.

Name:  616_zpshmlcda1k.jpg
Views: 3007
Size:  247.3 KB

Old 07-23-2016, 10:05 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
You may have better luck or skill than I did as I could not get them spread. My rocker panels we not in good shape either so a bigger hammer wouldn't work. The new ones are quite nice and Ross may be correct about the crimp but my thought was that if you ever wanted to replace the seal again you would have to replace the channel again. If the uncrimped channel does not hit the door I though of perhaps just holding the ends in place with 3M weatherstrip cement.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:17 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by petemcl
You may have better luck or skill than I did as I could not get them spread. My rocker panels we not in good shape either so a bigger hammer wouldn't work. The new ones are quite nice and Ross may be correct about the crimp but my thought was that if you ever wanted to replace the seal again you would have to replace the channel again. If the uncrimped channel does not hit the door I though of perhaps just holding the ends in place with 3M weatherstrip cement.
Agreed on crimping making the channels one time use. The seals I installed will stay in place with no adhesive or crimping, once in place you cannot get them to slide or move in the channel at all. Very tight fit.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:24 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
You are using the original channels not new ones?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:01 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
This truck had one good channel and one rusted out, so I replaced the one so far. New seal fits that new channel nicely and I did not crimp it over, seal touches the door ok.
Drivers side has the original channel, right now the new seal will not fit that channel. I am going to try and pry it open, but I do not expect it to work. If it doesnt I will replace that channel with new today.
Another option if you had two good original channels would be to use a razor and a straight edge to cut a little off the seal to get it to fit the original channels.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:15 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Updating this for future searches..

I was able to get the new seal to fit the original channel pretty easily.

Opened upper and lower edges a little with an adjustable wrench

Name:  624_zpsa4vq8n5y.jpg
Views: 3021
Size:  247.4 KB

And I was able to install the seal the same was as the other side, slid up into the upper part first and then compressed up into the lower edge. I put some WD40 on the seal first to make it easier to slip into position. Fit fine, just as good as the other side with the new channel.

Name:  625_zpshbidzm9k.jpg
Views: 3029
Size:  236.3 KB

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Updating this for future searches..

I was able to get the new seal to fit the original channel pretty easily.

Opened upper and lower edges a little with an adjustable wrench

Attachment 216834

And I was able to install the seal the same was as the other side, slid up into the upper part first and then compressed up into the lower edge. I put some WD40 on the seal first to make it easier to slip into position. Fit fine, just as good as the other side with the new channel.

Attachment 216835
Thanks for updating this thread with your final post in 2016. The other day I decided to slip the new seals into the original channels but gave up quickly since there was no way they were going to go in. I did a search and found the thread which has really been helpful, especially the last two pictures.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:22 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another lube that works great on these and cleans up is syl-glyde

Old 10-15-2018, 08:36 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bhalemail
Another lube that works great on these and cleans up is syl-glyde
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find some.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new lower door seals, do they fit original channels?