6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Long cold start after oil change......?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 03:44 PM
mikeysfun
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long cold start after oil change......?

Hi guys

I just changed my oil at 5000 with the usual rotella T6 5-40, added archoil 9100 for the first time, and changed my fuel filters and now I'm experiencing a long crank on cold start.

Here is a video, didn't have the SGII on but oil and coolant temps were around 70* and ambient temp was around 60-65. I am a little concerned that the oil pressure gauge did not move until after the truck started (Yes, I'm aware that gauge is simply a yes or no switch based on low oil pressure). Thoughts??

Please let me know what you think, or other info you may need.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:41 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeysfun
Hi guys

I just changed my oil at 5000 with the usual rotella T6 5-40, added archoil 9100 for the first time, and changed my fuel filters and now I'm experiencing a long crank on cold start.

Here is a video, didn't have the SGII on but oil and coolant temps were around 70* and ambient temp was around 60-65. I am a little concerned that the oil pressure gauge did not move until after the truck started (Yes, I'm aware that gauge is simply a yes or no switch based on low oil pressure). Thoughts??

Please let me know what you think, or other info you may need.
how many times did you cycle the key to the run position and let it sit with the key in the run position for 20 seconds or so before cycling the key off and then back to run? After changing the fuel filters you need to do this 3 to 4 times to get the air out before attempting to start. And as far as the LPO gauge on the cluster I don't think it cranked long enough for it to register before it started.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:45 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

What oil filter did you use ?

Old 05-10-2015, 07:31 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fuel filter change is the issue here, not the oil change, as long as you used an OEM oil filter with OEM filter cap. When you change fuel filters, you let a lot of air into the fuel system (nothing you can do about that). You need to cycle the key on and off, going on for 30 seconds, and off, then on for 30s again, 3-5 times, to purge the air out of the fuel system. THEN try to start the truck.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:14 AM
mikeysfun
Junior User
Ok, sorry wasn't clear enough to begin with.

Yes, I cycled the key 4 times for 30 seconds a time before initial startup after fuel filter change. I have done this a few times and know to purge the air before starting.

And, only Motorcraft oil filter with oem cap and racor fuel filters from riffraff

I'm talking about the following morning, and the morning after, and now again today.

I can post another video of this am startup after I get to work.

Each day, the cold start crank takes longer than it ever has in the past.

I've already replaced the IPR Screen as well as the STC fitting, in addition to all the other mods in my signature, and I was of the belief that the dummy plugs and the stand pipes on an 06 should be in good shape. So my concern is that somewhere I'm losing pressure in the HPO system overnight.

Again, thoughts?

Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 AM
wrxin
Elder User
Seems weird that a simple oil change and fuel filter change would cause any issues.

One thing, that's not a long crank time. Maybe its "longer" for you but that's an acceptable crank time according to Ford.

I did notice that your oil pressure was not building during the crank prior to the start. You should be seeing oil pressure during the crank. There's a test start wire lead under the hood on the passenger side (can't remember exactly where but Google it). This cranks the engine without starting it. Have someone crank the engine and see if you're getting oil pressure on the gauge. That's where I'd start.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:32 PM
mikeysfun
Junior User
This was this morning

This was after I got to work

See the difference?

wrxin - I like your idea, but it won't work. That lead wire turns over the starter, but has no ability to stop the truck from starting, and so in order to see the gauge move, the key would have to be in the run position, therefore the truck would still start giving me no more information than I already have.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:38 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
This was this morning

See the difference?

wrxin - I like your idea, but it won't work. That lead wire turns over the starter, but has no ability to stop the truck from starting, and so in order to see the gauge move, the key would have to be in the run position, therefore the truck would still start giving me no more information than I already have.
To keep the truck from starting simply pull the FICM relay and crank it from inside the truck.

FWIW--my LPO (aka indash gauge) never comes up while cranking, even if it cranks for 5 seconds.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:53 PM
wrxin
Elder User
This was this morning

See the difference?

Try this:

Old 05-14-2015, 12:04 PM
mikeysfun
Junior User
Ok guys... this is why I was asking this question to begin with... Here is a thread with the work I did earlier this year.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html

I did not do dummy plugs or standpipes at the time believing that on the 06 engine they were not a significant problem and because I could do them later without having to remove the turbo.

I'm pretty confident I don't have a low oil pressure problem based on my symptoms. It feels and seems like the HPO system is slowly leaking down overnight causing a long crank in the morning.

That being said, does anyone have any other insight to this? Should I not worry about it until it gets worse? Should I do an air test? Should I just plan on replacing stand pipes and dummy plugs?

Thanks all for your input.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:32 PM
wrxin
Elder User
I would do the air test. Its not hard and you just need a fitting and an air compressor, or a buddy with one.