Drums to disk brakes conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 09:32 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts

After 12 years of hard use our Dexter HD 8K brakes were wore out so I replaced them with Kodiak 13" disk brakes and Dexter actuator.

We had Dexter Nev-R-Lub bearings so I had to stay with that style of bearing with the Kodiak version, same 50mm bearing. I bought the disks kits and line sets from etrailer and the actuator from Eastern Marine.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brak...K2HR89XLD.html
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...co/DM5425.html
http://www.easternmarine.com/dexter-...tor-k71-651-00

The hardest part was getting the backing plate bolts out the rest was straight forward. I got lucky and was able to pull a wire along side the brake wire to the cold side of the breakaway switch. One important thing that has to be done is remove the excess paint off the the caliper brackets and the calipers so the caliper can slide in the bracket, a light coating of grease has to be applied to that area when they are installed. The line kit was well made but needed more clamps, rolling around on the floor wasn't much fun.

Denny

Attached Images        
Old 05-09-2015, 10:09 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Interesting upgrade. Have never done one.

Steve

Old 05-11-2015, 08:13 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Denny, Have you put enough miles on the new setup to have a solid opinion on the conversion?
That is a serious investment in brake hardware, but if performance in increased I could be convinced, stopping has always been a high priority for me.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:38 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Interesting. I can see some benefits to going disc.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:32 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,193 Likes on 573 Posts
Interesting write up. I've read with interest every disk brake conversion thread I've come across over the years and always thought it would be a great upgrade. I just haven't kept an RV long enough to have the drum brakes wear down yet. Maybe this time around!

Old 05-15-2015, 10:15 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in the performance as well.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:19 PM
rvpuller

I won't be able to take it on the road until I get some water damage caused by poor engineering repaired, it's going back together but it will take some time.

A couple that are in our RV group used all my part numbers and installed them on his trailer, he said it was like the difference between calm and a tornado.

Denny

Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 PM
rvpuller

Hooked up and went for a test pull today and what a improvement, my Dexter HD brakes were good when the trailer was new but nothing like our new disks.

Denny

Old 05-21-2015, 03:27 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
That's great to hear Denny. This is something I need to think about seriously, we plan to keep our current TT for several more years and it is a heavy unit for an Excursion. My next upgrade for it will be 16" rims and LT tires, hopefully this Fall/Winter. Our TT's storage bays are very limited in size, does the electric over hydraulic unit need to be mounted inside a compartment or can it be frame mounted? I guess I could build an aluminum box under the trailer's body for it.......

Old 05-21-2015, 05:26 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,193 Likes on 573 Posts
On the to do list when the current ones get weak. With only 1000 miles so far, I guess I'll have a little wait before it's time...

Old 05-22-2015, 05:35 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Glad to hear the end result was worth the work and expense!

Steve

Old 05-22-2015, 07:40 AM
rvpuller

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
That's great to hear Denny. This is something I need to think about seriously, we plan to keep our current TT for several more years and it is a heavy unit for an Excursion. My next upgrade for it will be 16" rims and LT tires, hopefully this Fall/Winter. Our TT's storage bays are very limited in size, does the electric over hydraulic unit need to be mounted inside a compartment or can it be frame mounted? I guess I could build an aluminum box under the trailer's body for it.......
No it doesn't have to be mounted inside it could be mounted on the front frame of your TT. It would fit in a battery box without any problem, it's really not that big, or it could set oitside. You would need to know the brand of axle, bearing size and the flange bolt pattern. The kits for smaller axles are a lot cheaper than the 8K ones I needed.

Denny

Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 AM
rvpuller

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Glad to hear the end result was worth the work and expense!

Steve
It was well worth the expense it would have cost more to replace my drum brakes because I needed everything including all the drums, it's one of the drawbacks of keeping a trailer for a long time and putting a ton of miles on.

Denny

Old 05-22-2015, 09:13 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Any delay with initial brake application?

How does the Ford brake controller work in the EOH mode?

Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 AM
rvpuller

The only time I noticed any delay was under really hard stops but it's just the time it takes for the pump to build full pressure but I stopped so fast and hard that the table was tipped over and the full chest freezer was moved in the closet. I don't think there's anymore delay than the drums had but a lot more braking force making it feel like a delay.

The controller works great in the electric over hydraulic setting but I wish they would take the speed delay out of it before it starts to work. It's going to take a while after we really start pulling to get it adjusted for seamless breaking.

Denny

Quick Reply: Drums to disk brakes conversion