1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

old ford owner... new tree line find

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:27 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
To get the cover out. Bolts are no biggie. The thing just won't come out otherwise. I have tried several times and it just won't come out otherwise.something is up with my truck...can't get driver up pipe out without jacking up the cab...my old blue 96 ex lb was the same way tho on the vc.maybe I'm just stupid

Old 05-18-2015, 02:47 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Hopefully, these will help you identify some locations in the engine compartment.

The 6637 air filter and the exhaust (blue pipe) elbow were purchased at NAPA Auto Parts. This is on my truck.

6637 Mod 1

And since you received a lot of excellent advice from these folks, a great way to show your appreciation is by adding to their reputation. Click the link in my signature to see how to do that. There doesn't seem to be any information given on this process to new members.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:18 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordman67
To get the cover out. Bolts are no biggie. The thing just won't come out otherwise. I have tried several times and it just won't come out otherwise.something is up with my truck...can't get driver up pipe out without jacking up the cab...my old blue 96 ex lb was the same way tho on the vc.maybe I'm just stupid
I think there must be a hundred way to skin that cat. My neighbor owns a wrecking company and repair shop. He says his guys remove the alternator to get the pass VC off. I asked him why... he said, "Cuz you have to." I must have had a look on my face that said it all because he said, "You don't?" I replied, "Nope, its never been in my way."

Old 05-19-2015, 12:28 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually remove that little vacuum deal thing on the side of the AC box, that worked for me. I think Phil is right. Hundred ways to skin a cat.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:39 PM
golfer.61
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be patient while removing them, you may have some that might be stuck.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:17 AM
rollingflat
Junior User
Thanks so much for all the help and tips for the GP removal and VC removal. I will b placing my order soon but want to drive the truck awhile before tearing it apart. Also would like to buy a spare CPS to have on hand just in case. Does riffraff have CPS or do I need to get them some where else?

I would like to flush the coolant system to ...not sure what PO ran in it before I got it. What coolant do you guys run?

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:37 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Best place to get a CPS is the nearest International dealer, or the Ford dealer if IH isn't nearby. IH or Ford ONLY; NO aftermarket.

Coolant - important thing to remember is NOT to use Extended Life (ELC) anti-freeze. It's not compatible with the seals related to the injectors on our generation of truck. So your choices are
* Old-school "green" anti-freeze plus your own SCA (something like Fleetguard DCA4/DCA60)
* Peak Fleet CHARGE anti-freeze, which is old-school non-ELC anti-freeze pre-charged with SCA

Old 05-20-2015, 07:42 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Like Pogue said you can get the CPS at either International or Ford, but Yes, to answer your question, Riffraff has them as well. They carry the OEM part, you may just pay an extra couple bucks over what you'd get one for at International. I'd say it's worth getting it from Riffraff for convenience's sake, but that's up to you. I also don't mind spending a couple bucks extra with them because they are serving our niche.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 AM
rollingflat
Junior User
I just called the international dealer that is 5 miles away and the parts guy said would need to get the CPS from ford... That only block is international, injectors, control systems are all fords??? Said might be able to cross reference if I give him a part #?? That was very weird! Told him all the folks here said to get it from international dealer. He said he had never heard that.! ...wow!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 AM
rollingflat
Junior User
Don't know if I'll be doing business there.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:00 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
That is very odd indeed. Its so hard to find someone who knows what they are doing. The T444E and the Powerstroke are basically the same engine.

Anyways, here is a International part number 1876735C91

Old 05-20-2015, 09:17 AM
golfer.61
New User
Make sure you tell them it's for a T444E, or have the international parts number. They tend to get worked up when you say it's for a powerstroke/Ford truck.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've run into that kind of response before. Don't tell them what its for. Just give them the part number, that's all they need.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:33 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That guy at the Int'l dealer needs to get a job at the local AutoZtoned; he'd be right in his element there.....

Old 05-20-2015, 07:19 PM
rollingflat
Junior User
Well here they are, thanks Madmatador for the part # and everyone that gave advice on how to deal w/
the internatinal dealer...parts guy. Funny story I just walked in gave him the parts number and he said he had two in stock so I took them both. Right then a mechanic walked in from the back who I had trained on our towns fire dept. some years back. ( I didnt know he worked there.) He came around the counter and saw what I bought and said "Oh I see you must own a FORD POWER STROKE" He went on to say "great engines work on them all the time...navistar t444e's". The parts guy just stared at him... it was very funny!

to bad they are made in mexico...I guess its better than china.
Also the part # is on box if anyone else needs it.

Quick Reply: old ford owner... new tree line find