fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Check fuel pressure next.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:57 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out the flow chart in this link. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...flowchart.html
But I will say if you even think it's cranking slow, I would be replacing that other battery. Were you getting any smoke out the back?

Old 05-10-2015, 07:07 PM
rollingflat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no smoke. cranks slower than a high tork dodge but faster than my 51 john deere model b.

just found the flow chart wow thank you that will help!

Old 05-10-2015, 07:43 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Originally Posted by rollingflat

Here r the 1st. pics I took when I got it home. it felt like Christmas!
You found that in a tree line...NICE..SCORE!

Listen to these guys on here, they are super helpful..just wish I had found them sooner! They know these trucks inside and out, top to bottom...seriously...

I am not nearly as useful, but I am learning....

Once more NICE TRUCK!

Old 05-10-2015, 08:09 PM
rollingflat
Junior User
Thanks for the encourgament, Im planing on checking fuel presure next as advised,but have to wait till morning to get fuel psi gauge.In the mean time after thinking about the PO's remark about the GP's not working for " a long time" and just using a shot of eather to start it . I read up on testing the GP relay and checked resistance, which was very high which leads me to belive the relay is bad.
And while I was checking the relay I looked at where to hook up the fuel psi guage and did not see the same setup as what was shown on another post. Instead it looks like a smaller fuel filter or screen on DS of the fuel bowl w an air steem at the top just under a large brass plug.?

Old 05-10-2015, 08:22 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's similar to a shrader valve on a tire. That is the port. You can use a stick tire gauge, just don't use it for tires afterwards. You may get some spray out of it as well, so be ready with a rag or two.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:45 PM
rollingflat
Junior User
wow thanks for the tip, that will save a little $ that I may need for something else. also I just have my doutbs about how fast it is cranking, I will get a second new batt. so I can eliminate one problem for sure!

As I look at the flow chart I see Im moving down the right side of it and I want to make sure this is right..."DOES TAC MOVE WHILE CRANKING" It does move while cranking, by which I mean it moves maybe a 1/4 inch up and down not reaching very far up into the gauge. Is this enoff movment to be considered movment? ( I know this sounds like a stupid question but dont want to miss something simple and regret it days or weeks and lots of WASTED $ later.)

thanks again for all the help.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:50 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The engine must be turning at least 100 rpms before the PCM will fire the injectors. also must have at least 10.5v while cranking and 500 psi of high pressure oil pressure. Figure out what your fuel pressure is while cranking, and then go from there. Nice find!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:14 PM
rollingflat
Junior User
With the help of my lovely wife on this mothers day I just checked the fuel psi while cranking...45 psi.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:22 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel psi is good. If you had to tap on the starter to get it to turn over, then it was probably stuck from sitting, and may be dragging.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by rollingflat
With the help of my lovely wife on this mothers day I just checked the fuel psi while cranking...45 psi.
That should be enough to get he started. You want some where around 60-70 While the engine is running.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:38 PM
rollingflat
Junior User
After checking it (fuel psi) twice the batterys were drained, would barley crank... so load tested both again ( after disconecting) old one tested bad this time and new one still good but lower cca under load. So on with the trickle chager for the new and monday a second new will go in truck.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 PM
rollingflat
Junior User
Then on to checking hpo.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:25 PM
rollingflat
Junior User
Tonight I put second new battery in replaced gpr and filled hpo reserve. I then checked new gpr w test light and got nothing on eather large post.? But I tried it anyway and it spun much much faster, but still nothing. then tried a shot of eather and it burped to life. Let it run foe 30 min. then took it for a ride.

Gauges all worked except for speedo,odom. Oil psi good,volts good, started to come up on temp. tac steedy at idle around 800 rpm.

Did find small leak around upper radiator hose tube where I would think the thermistate would be... steel tube w 3 8mm bolts. may seal itself once it gets run a bit? I still dont think the gps are working dont hear anying thing when turn on key except one click?

The big surprise was the kick in the pants I got when it shifted from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. WOW ....??? check engine is on all the time so lots to still do before it is road ready but MAN AM I STOKED!!!!! It runs like a sewing machine!!

For the last 2 hrs now ive been trying to post a video I took of it running tonight But cant get it to load anyone know how to post videos??

Old 05-11-2015, 08:48 PM
bertolini
New User
Been following this since you first posted. Congrats on getting it running.

Quick Reply: old ford owner... new tree line find