General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What's the best state in America?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford
Can I just mention the worst state, would be California
1. out of water
2. too many politicians.
3. too many Illegal Immigrants.
4. Baaaad Governor.
5. Deep Pockets , spending on the wrong things that the state really needs.
6. Higher cost of living ( taxs, fuel , grocery's, on and on and on).
7. Oh did I Mention too Many Lawyers
Come to Florida! You'll like it better!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:09 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
I just talked to a shirt-tail relative who moved to Oregon from CA. "Some good, some not so good, same as here" he says. As far as CA, the high taxes and idiocy in government are issues, but those same problems seem to exist elsewhere as well.

A decent job, a good home, your family, your friends. That would be a good state to be in, where ever it is.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:12 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
Come to Florida! You'll like it better!
Always wanted to go to Florida , just some of the things that didn't appeal to me . Humidity and Very large Snakes, on the other hand Cuban cigars and a lot of Beautiful women did one of the reasons I left Arizona too dam Hot and too many Rattle Snakes, I figured that no snakes on the Beach surrounded by women I could deal with a few month's of heat

Old 05-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Always wanted to go to Florida , just some of the things that didn't appeal to me . Humidity and Very large Snakes, on the other hand Cuban cigars and a lot of Beautiful women did one of the reasons I left Arizona too dam Hot and too many Rattle Snakes, I figured that no snakes on the Beach surrounded by women I could deal with a few month's of heat
I'll concede regarding the humidity, but snakes are not remotely an issue in Central Florida !

Old 05-10-2015, 05:57 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 05-10-2015, 11:49 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
OK I may have just changed my mind

Old 05-10-2015, 05:05 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Maine is a great place to be.the population is low and the pay scale isn't that good.it's not a place to live if your main focus is big money but we get by.great place to be raised and great place to raise a family.
the cost of living is pretty dang high though.it's very pretty in the spring,summer and fall but the winters are long,cold and miserable.
i recently did a road trip from Maine to California and back.being a native American i fell in love with Oklahoma! Cali is spectacular but i hear living there isn't the best.way over populated and too much smog but the wilderness and landscape is to die for! wonderful.
im going to be investigating Oklahoma rental properties this summer.find a place to escape from for the miserable Maine winters from say at least jan-march.
the problem with Oklahoma is,the tornadoes but those don't seem to be too widespread/much of a concern during my escape plan months.i didn't stay there long but the people seemed friendly enough.what i like is also besides a much more mild place to be in the winter months,is the landscape and the low population there,much like Maines.i can't stand city life.

Florida is way over rated.you walk funny and your going to jail! the locals have a saying: "come on vacation,leave on probation" lmao! they are very hard on petty crime.way too over populated,way too humid,and too much racism still exists there today.there is no landscape.it's all flat and swamp.it's a must visit,don't get me wrong,the beeches are great,it's very tropical with lots of man made attractions and parks etc,but id never live there.i won't be surprised if i never go back down there to visit again either for that matter.

Mega US Road Trip - Maine To California & Back Again

Old 05-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Can I just mention the worst state, would be California
1. out of water
2. too many politicians.
3. too many Illegal Immigrants.
4. Baaaad Governor.
5. Deep Pockets , spending on the wrong things that the state really needs.
6. Higher cost of living ( taxs, fuel , grocery's, on and on and on).
7. Oh did I Mention too Many Lawyers
Don't live there and couldn't agree more. Californians are like Prius drivers they all think they are doing something to save the world.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:32 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
Maine is a great place to be.the population is low and the pay scale isn't that good.it's not a place to live if your main focus is big money but we get by.great place to be raised and great place to raise a family.
the cost of living is pretty dang high though.it's very pretty in the spring,summer and fall but the winters are long,cold and miserable.
I lived there for a few years as a kid. I loved it and want to move back.
Ran numbers a few years back for cost of living comparison. Not too much more than here besides the heating fuel. I'd just heat with wood like I do now. Now I just need to finish/start saving so I can find "cheap" 7-10 acres.
Just a dream now with the setbacks I'm dealing with now though I feel.
Still have friends of the family in the richmond/bowdoinham area.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:41 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dustyroad
I lived there for a few years as a kid. I loved it and want to move back.
Ran numbers a few years back for cost of living comparison. Not too much more than here besides the heating fuel. I'd just heat with wood like I do now. Now I just need to finish/start saving so I can find "cheap" 7-10 acres.
Just a dream now with the setbacks I'm dealing with now though I feel.
Still have friends of the family in the richmond/bowdoinham area.
i just bought 7 wooded acres for 20k about an hour north of your fam.a cord of hardwood here goes for about $200
7-10 cord per year for an average house.

ELEC
TRIC DELIVERY RATE SCHEDULE
Page 10.00
CENTRAL MAINE POWER COMPANY
Eighty
-
Seventh
Revision
RATE A
RESIDENTIAL SERVICE
AVAILABILITY
This rate is available for Residential Service taken on a continuous year
-
round basis a
t one point
of delivery. Service may be taken for a shorter period subject to the provisions of the short
-
term
service charge.
CHARACTER OF SERVICE
End use service will be single phase, alternating current, 60 hertz, furnished at one standard
secondary
distribution voltage as described in the Company's Handbook of Requirements for
Electric Service and Meter Installations.
BASIC RATE PER MONTH
$
for the first
kWh or less
$0.
per kWh for all kWh in exces

The Maine (ME) state sales tax rate increased to 5.5%, effective October 1, 2013. The rate for prepared food, lodging and liquor is now 8%. Food and prescription drugs are exempt. Maine was listed in Kiplinger's 2011 10 Tax-Unfriendly States for Retirees.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:48 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Don't live there and couldn't agree more. Californians are like Prius drivers they all think they are doing something to save the world.
Excuse me but we Do Not all drive a prius or save the the world,,geez

Old 05-10-2015, 08:13 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
im still trying to figure out why he means to imply that doing something to save the world would be derogatory anyway? heaven forbid we save this place for our grandkids anyway! lol.
screw them,they can go live on mars or something instead right?

Old 05-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Prius drivers here in Seattle all have this idea that they are doing something amazing by driving the car. I see them and it is as if they are saving the world with Starbucks in hand. It seems a lot of people move from California or New York and push there laws and rules and b.s. on the rest of us. I suppose my original sentence was a bit generalized though.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
WA would be great if there were fewer people. The local rock station has news stories as part of a show, and most seem to come from Florida-

Old 05-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
I am with you Jared. I live in Kent but much prefer the less populated areas of the state. Eastern Washington camping, fishing all that stuff with out the mess of traffic you don't have to deal with.

Quick Reply: What's the best state in America?