6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Diesel exhaust fluid warning message

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:07 PM
ravenper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel exhaust fluid warning message

I have a 2011 f-450 6.7 - truck has 70K miles. The other day I was driving and the message said "Cleaning exhaust filter ". I usually keep it running a little to finish. Then shorty after a warning message came on which said "800 Miles to Exhaust fluid empty". So I went to fill tank and it was FULL. Now the warning keeps showing up each time I start the engine. It now says 300 miles to empty. I'm afraid it's going to go into limp mode even though the exhaust fluid tank is full. Anybody experience anything like this? Appreciate any suggestions, thanks

Old 05-06-2015, 07:40 PM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When was the last time you filled it? If it's been a while and it's still full maybe it's not injecting properly (or not at all), and the computer senses this? I'm just guessing here. Mine is brand new, and it haven't added any yet so I'm not sure if it re-sets itself, or is there a way to do it manually. If not, I'd get it checked quickly. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
cant say for sure as i dont have one... but im wondering if maybe its like the "oil change reminders" they had on the vehicles near the early 90's.. where its just going off miles and not an actual sensor. Could be you just need to reset the DEF trip reminder. Of what ive heard the systems supposed to be "refilled" at every oil change. If you havent looked in the book for such a thing may want to look there..

As i said im just guessing since you said the tanks full and its still counting down.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Bluovlnut
Junior User
Happend to my buddy's dually, pump had failed.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:05 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Hard one to pin down without any check engine light or anything.

I would take in for service.

How did you try to fill the def? did you try to add with the ford spout and nothing would go in?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:12 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
A sensor or the pump. Not really much to those tanks.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,988 Likes on 1,595 Posts
My experience.......
If I fill from a DEF Pump at the truck stops.........I have to keep the nozzle pulled out a little, or the pump handle shuts off....like the tank is full, but it isn't.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:09 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
If your tank is full, you have 300 mile to schedule a trip to your dealer.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:53 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenper
I have a 2011 f-450 6.7 - truck has 70K miles. The other day I was driving and the message said "Cleaning exhaust filter ". I usually keep it running a little to finish. Then shorty after a warning message came on which said "800 Miles to Exhaust fluid empty". So I went to fill tank and it was FULL. Now the warning keeps showing up each time I start the engine...
Hi ravenper,

As a few of the other folks have suggested, it sounds like it's time for your dealer to take a look. Since the warning is popping up every time you start the truck, it should be pretty easy for your tech to replicate. Circle back and tell us how things go at your appointment; I'll be here to help after you receive a diagnosis, if needed.

Crystal

Old 05-07-2015, 07:56 PM
ravenper
New User
Def Warning message

Hey, I appreciate everyones quick response to my problem. Some involved LOL
I have a Ford dealer in Millersburg OH who is really trying to get some input from Ford and also arranging time for his mechanic to look at the truck. We are traveling with a fifth wheel trailer and don't want to head out again till its resolved. One dealer rep said it could be pump, tank or sensors. Anyway, thanks to all for your idea's. I did initially try filling the def tank with the Pilot pump and nothing went in so I also have the jugs with the Ford filler spout which also didn't allow any into tank so I pretty much know its full. Again, thanks to all and I will let you know the outcome soon.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:02 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...thanks to all and I will let you know the outcome soon.
Sure thing, ravenper! It sounds like your dealership is working hard to get you back on the road again. I'll hang around here to make sure everything is good to go.

Crystal

Old 05-14-2015, 06:47 AM
ravenper
New User
Def repair done

The problem was evaluated at the ford dealer and all details were submitted to Ford for warrantee approval. It was approved under my extended warrantee. The def tank had to be dropped down and the pump inside was replaced. Apparently there are two pumps with one outside also according to the service advisor. They might have replaced the module on top of tank too. There was a lot of technical terms on the paperwork I received so not really sure how to explain the repair and parts involved. Anyway, back on road and all seems good. Thanks again to you all who follow these threads to help novices like me.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Thanks for reporting back. The DEF system seems pretty reliable as a whole.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:52 AM
ravenper
New User
Def fluid warning

The problem was evaluated at the ford dealer and all details were submitted to Ford for warrantee approval. It was approved under my extended warrantee. The def tank had to be dropped down and the pump inside was replaced. Apparently there are two pumps with one outside also according to the service advisor. They might have replaced the module on top of tank too. There was a lot of technical terms on the paperwork I received so not really sure how to explain the repair and parts involved. Anyway, back on road and all seems good. Thanks again to you all who follow these threads to help novices like me.
The service advisor also mentioned if you let the def fluid tank go empty you will make a trip to dealer to reprogram so the warning messages stop

Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 AM
senix
Super Moderator
That is a bit of mis-information there. I have run mine dry one time. Not on purpose and not for many miles..many 50 or so miles.

You get the warning of reduced speed when that happens.

Once filled back up the warning goes away.

Not recommended as it will shorten the life of the pump. I had no choice when mine ran dry for a few.

Quick Reply: Diesel exhaust fluid warning message