Ticking Noise

Old 07-27-2003, 09:47 PM
NASCARTruckDude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking Noise

Hey guys, my 4.6L makes a ticking noise whenever I'm driving it and giving it gas. The noise is coming from under the hood. I'm thinking it's just the ignition but these trucks are distributorless. Is this noise just the ignition. The truck has about 85,000 miles on it and it runs fine. I was just wondering where the source of the ticking sound is coming from.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-28-2003, 11:25 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ticking Noise

I would look for broken exhaust manifols bolts. It sounds like a possible exhaust leak.
Jimmy

Old 07-29-2003, 07:08 PM
NASCARTruckDude
Senior User
Ticking Noise

I think all my exhaust components are fine, but I'll make sure and check everything out this weekend.
It's a rapid light ticking, the more RPM's I turn the faster the ticking gets.
Sounds electrical but I'll look over my engine when I put my Motorcraft Double Platinum spark plugs this weekend.
Does anyone elses motor do this?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-29-2003, 08:14 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Ticking Noise

Replacing the plugs could help. Loose spark plugs can click as the compression forces it up. You'd may see a stutter or hesistation in performance, though.

-Kerry

Old 08-03-2003, 02:29 AM
NASCARTruckDude
Senior User
Ticking Noise

Changed the plugs, I drove the truck around for 45 minutes and so far the ticking noise is gone. Hmm... strange, maybe it was a loose plug, but all the plugs looked fine.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-03-2003, 12:44 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Ticking Noise

Found out about the loose plug click from my wife's 4 banger DOdGe.... those aluminum heads . I'm afraid to tighten down on them without a good torque wrench and I only have a 1/2" drive bar type. Now I check the plugs every time I change the oil. Saves me from thinking I have a pushrod engine instead of an OHC .

Glad to hear your click went a way... hope it stays that way.

-Kerry

Old 08-03-2003, 06:52 PM
NASCARTruckDude
Senior User
Ticking Noise

Oh, and by the way, when I removed the plugs the hook part (I don't know what it's called) looked a very light gray almost white. I don't think this is normal. Does this mean my truck is running lean? The check engine light has never lit and the only thing I can think that might do this is my FIPK.
Can any of you guys help?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-04-2003, 08:29 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Ticking Noise

Originally posted by NASCARTruckDude
Oh, and by the way, when I removed the plugs the hook part (I don't know what it's called)
that's the ground electrode
looked a very light gray almost white. I don't think this is normal. Does this mean my truck is running lean?
That's perfectly fine, as long as you can see the electrodes and they are gritty or brown
The check engine light has never lit and the only thing I can think that might do this is my FIPK.
If it was serious enough to cause the check engine light, then it would be serious enough to worry about.

The check engine light comes on when the computer detects a problem that may warrant attention from an emissions testing facility. Apparently the only thing you're guilty of is preventive maintanance. You could have cleaned your old plugs, regapped them and put them back in, if you desired. The air flow sensory net tells the engine how much air is passing through that FIPK. The PCM then controls how much gas is being injected. The FIPK only lets the air in more easily. Less restrictions means more energy to the system hence the performance gain and quicker throttle response.

-Kerry

Old 08-04-2003, 10:30 PM
NASCARTruckDude
Senior User
Ticking Noise

Thanks for the feedback kspilkinton. I was a little worried about the color on the ground electrodes, but I guess the plugs were fine. It's just that I read in my Chilton's manual that they were supposed to tan. To bad they're not more specific about the colors, those black and white photos don't help alot.

Thanks for the Feedback,
Chris