Sponsored by:

1994 Bronco purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:14 PM
regret
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 Bronco purchase.

I picked up a 1994 Eddie Bauer Bronco last week. The body and interior are mint. It has 120K miles on it. Unfortunately it needs a steering box and ball joints but I've already pressed in the passenger side ones. It's being a major pain. Driving it home the tranny started slipping, wouldn't stay in 4th. Had a shop suck out like 7 liters out of the tranny! Started shifting way better but is still overfull. Anyways I will post some pics of my new truck soon.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:07 PM
newmaac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Regret, (interesting name)
You mentioned sucking-out a lot of tranny fluid, and it working better. I've never seen that one. I would think that too much fluid makes it leak, and too little makes it slip.
I've been involved in a lot of forums.
This one seems pretty pathetic. You have had 86 people view your post; not a single one could spare the time to say " Hi, welcome to the group", or "yeah, post a few pics of that new truck." Or, "Ya know, I had a similar thing happen to MY transmission, and I......"

Good luck with your truck.
Newmaac

Old 05-08-2015, 08:37 PM
regret
Mountain Pass
That last picture is when I was doing the ball joints/ steering box. That was miserable! Thanks newmaac. I just got an out of province safety & alignment done on the truck so it's driving a lot better. I was actually surprised how easy a steering box is to do. I started at noon hour and had it done by four with a fair bit of slacking and got it inspected right after that. Canadian tire wanted 500$ to do it lol

Old 05-08-2015, 08:39 PM
regret
Mountain Pass
Old 05-08-2015, 09:34 PM
walter white
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by newmaac
Hey Regret, (interesting name)
You mentioned sucking-out a lot of tranny fluid, and it working better. I've never seen that one. I would think that too much fluid makes it leak, and too little makes it slip.
I've been involved in a lot of forums.
This one seems pretty pathetic. You have had 86 people view your post; not a single one could spare the time to say " Hi, welcome to the group", or "yeah, post a few pics of that new truck." Or, "Ya know, I had a similar thing happen to MY transmission, and I......"

Good luck with your truck.
Newmaac
i thought it was just me. this board does seem a little odd. I've posted questions, pics of a recent 79 bronco i got etc and have had virtually no responses.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:51 PM
newmaac
New User
That's a good looking truck.
My last Bronco was a 95 XLT.
I just bought an 87 Custom.
Comparatively, this one is like a ranch truck.
Straight six. Granny low 4 speed.
Absolutely nothing there that doesn't need to be there to make it run!.
I am having fun messing with it.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:54 PM
regret
Mountain Pass
I can appreciate a one function truck. I've been wanting to get a bronco for a while and couldn't resist this one for 3500 bucks. Not bad considering I live in Canada and everything is expensive here. One day if the drivetrain dumps on me I might do a 6.9/e40d swap and run diesel but probably not. Most likely I would do a proper 4 inch lift and 33s. I have a few issues to tackle first. The rear window is stubborn and it still shifts kind of hard in the lower gears. I will try sucking out some more tranny fluid soon and take apart the rear window
Next week.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:47 AM
regret
Mountain Pass
I took the truck out for a drive this morning and it started shifting beautifully again.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:28 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice looking bronco Regret! This is kinda a strange forum. I don't want to direct people away from the bronco forum, but I always get more responses when I ask questions in the truck forums. There just isn't as many bronco owners. Right now there are 200 people viewing the 80-86 forum, and 600 viewing the 87-96 forum, and only 45 viewing the full size bronco forum.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:41 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice looking Bronco, I just bought a 95 Eddie Bauer, with the Green & Tan combo. Sucking fluid OUT of a tranny, has never been a fix that I've been aware of

Old 05-18-2015, 01:44 AM
regret
Mountain Pass
I was driving it before I got it sucked out. Bang bang bang slam sloooower bang hesitate bang. It was the worst. Shifts smooth and controlled and holds gears now.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, someone might have overfilled it before you purchased it, you were actually quite lucky as that can actually kill the trans. Sadly I wasn't around when you first posted this, I have a nice write up on the Steering Box work you just did (check the link in my sig) along with some other repairs and mod you might want to check. Btw, welcome to the site!.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:26 PM
regret
Mountain Pass
I checked out your thread on rebuilding a box and it looks like something I'd mess up lol. I honestly thought the transmission was cooked but roughly two days after it was sucked out it started shifting great again. I had been thinking that later on I would drop the pan and put a 4R100 pan so I can drain the oil cleanly and quickly. The truck also has a spark plug wire burnt/rubbed through, I will probably get on one of those 6 litre tune ups some time. A tranny cooler is definetely something I will be looking into. Big tires would be nice and recovery gear too, I got the truck buried to the frame out in the bush yesterday and had quite an expensive tow bill to get it out lol. Oddly enough my steering felt better on the drive home.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:10 PM
94Bronco2215
New User
nice looking bronco

Nice looking Bronco. I just picked up a 94 a month ago. I have been working on mine hoping to get it on the road. I have always loved the Broncos.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:36 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you find that pan it's a direct swap, but you can also go my way with a drain plug kit and weld or install it yourself (my "kit" is actually a nut/bolt). It's a breeze draining the trans compared to the mess it was the first time... You better check that steering fluid, it seems to be working better, but the fluid probably got contaminated with water, and that will be a problem later on.

And welcome to the forum @94Bronco2215!.

Quick Reply: 1994 Bronco purchase.